• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  540
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  05/29/1960

As a relative of Chief Joseph I figured I might as well weigh in.

First to start...

(New King James Version)

34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."

If all he saw was fighting, which was not uncommon on the frontier how would he even know they knew the Lord?

Lets look at what happened to his father Old Joseph

In 1836 the Reverend Henry Spalding founded a Protestant Mission on Lapwai Creek in Nez Perce country. An early convert was the chief of one of the prominent bands, Old Joseph. In 1840, Old Joseph's first son was born. Given the tribal name of 'Thunder Rolling in the Mountains,' the child was baptized by Spalding and given the name Joseph. The child would spend most of his time around the Lapwai mission.

In the late 1840's Old Joseph moved his people southward to their ancestral grounds around the Wallowa valley. Despite this move the Army kept pushing for more land. In 1863, a treaty was called to reduce the tribal holdings from 10,000 to 1000 square miles. The upper Nez Perce signed while the lower tribes, under Old Joseph, walked out in disgust.

Old Joseph ripped up his Bible , completely disillusioned by the white man. As the old man's health deteriorated, Young Joseph began to take over more of his father's duties. He would meet the white men who were pushing for his people's lands, always polite but firmly resistant. In 1871, Old Joseph died and his son became Chief.

-http://www.essortmen...ephnez_rfjp.htm-

Also just because you learn Bible story's as a child does not mean you "Know" Christ or even know the truth about what Christianity teaches.

The sad truth is Most religion, Christianity in all its forms were brought over as a "White mans" religion,. Part of this was forsaking some of your heritage to become "Christian", and often times being a Christian had nothing to do with knowing Christ.

A lot of infighting and division and betrayal from all the "Christians" This is not an excuse for him but a point of historical reference.

It is sad he is probably not in heaven right now, but the point I think Neb was making was this. We need to remember that verse that I posted before, to remember our example that we need to be!

I am going to finish with this...

1 Corinthians 13 (New King James Version)

The Greatest Gift

1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. 2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, but have not love, it profits me nothing.

4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; 5 does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; 6 does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; 7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.

13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

The body of Christ is filled with hypocrites! Thats what I hear from non believers and Christians alike. Thats the main reason they don't go to church. People in general are judgmental and thats due to being self centered. All of us was born this way. Being self centered causes us to be easily offended. People will say,

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

LOVE!

Love ...

• suffers long
  • is kind
  • does not envy
  • does not parade itself
  • is not puffed up
  • does not behave rudely
  • does not seek its own
  • is not provoked
  • thinks no evil
  • does not rejoice in iniquity
  • rejoices in the truth
  • bears all things
  • believes all things
  • hopes all things
  • endures all things

Love never fails.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  110
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  03/29/1961

Ok, that I understand. In my in laws church, they wear native dress, or not, as they please. They have navajo bibles, in the written form (its been standardized in written form over the years) etc. They have camp meetings with native speakers and native foods as part of their witnessing. The push to give up their language though wasnt due to missionaries but rather the govt conquest of natives.

Say Neb,

didn't the Govt. use the navajo language for covert ops because it wasn't a written language and therefore could not be decoded?

When did they get an alphabet?

Sorry, I guess Jade wrote this?

Sicerely wondering not bickerin' here.

Edited by 1Mind1Spirit

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Say Neb,

didn't the Govt. use the navajo language for covert ops because it wasn't a written language and therefore could not be decoded?

Google and ye shall find.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/navajo.htm

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWnavajo.htm

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  110
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  03/29/1961

Say Neb,

Google and ye shall find.

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/navajo.htm

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWnavajo.htm

Thank yuh, Neb. :emot-bulb:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Ok, that I understand. In my in laws church, they wear native dress, or not, as they please. They have navajo bibles, in the written form (its been standardized in written form over the years) etc. They have camp meetings with native speakers and native foods as part of their witnessing. The push to give up their language though wasnt due to missionaries but rather the govt conquest of natives.

Say Neb,

Ive had the honor of meeting some of the original codetalkers. Despite not having rights to vote yet in the US (Navajos in some parts of the US couldnt vote until 1948) they volunteered their services to this country and devised a code within their language that turned out to be the unbreakable code. They took words like hummingbird and used it to mean things like bombers. A code within their language.

I dont know when they got the alphabet, but at one time, the oral language was transliterated into a written language. The oral language is still in use. Many of the old folks dont speak english. The local radio station is bilingual. I love listening to it and hearing the Navajo then the English. At one point I was able to understand many of the Navajo words. There is a Navajo bible, written in Navajo, along with many secular books etc.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  20
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  06/13/1962

Is not the church meant to be a family?

As a family we are indeed made up of many different members and each with our own perspectives and when we focus on those perspectives and trying to argue and defend them then we automatically separate ourselves.

How much more productive would it be to instead of arguing our own perspectives, doctrines, focuses et al, we simply gather together to discuss and learn His ways, His will and His nature.

Just a thought.

God bless all.

Sing

How much more productive would it be to instead of arguing our own perspectives, doctrines, focuses et al, we simply gather together to discuss and learn His ways, His will and His nature.

:emot-highfive:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  27
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  493
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1

Now there's an idea ! ^5

There still needs to be a time for correction and discipline though.When does this happen?

Yes, this is a great idea. But the reality is that there's just so much obstacles for these to ever happen....

Unless God intervenes....

Now there's an idea ! ^5

There still needs to be a time for correction and discipline though.When does this happen?

Are correction and discipline supposed to take the priority?

What if Christians expressed as much concern over or more concern over - are we loving each other? - as much as we are concerned with - is our theology correct? What if we talked more about love (and I don't mean what people call love that amounts to compromising) than we did the basics of what we are supposed to believe?