• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

"For one who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God" (1 Cor. 14:2)

If your speaking or praying in French and noone else in the room speaks French, God is the only one that can here you!

The last I checked, "speaking to God" is the definition of prayer.

Most people with the gift of tongues use it to pray (speak to God).

"One who speaks in a tongue edifies himself" (1 Cor. 14:4)

This is a rebuke, to those who were lifting themselves up, by speaking a foreign language in Church, as if God had given them the ability to do it.

If what the people were doing was a mockery of the gift of tongues, why did not Paul tell them to stop doing it.

But no, that isn't what he was doing. He was saying speaking in tongues will edify your spirit, but not those around you. This is why in the assembly, when you speak in tongues to the congregation you need someone or yourself with the gift of interpreting tongues (13 Therefore let one who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret.")

"Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues" (1 Cor. 14:5)

Actually verse 5 says........

“I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater [is] he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.”

Different translation, that's all.

5 Now I wish that you all spoke in tongues, but even more that you would prophesy ; and greater is one who prophesies than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may receive edifying.

My point was that Paul never denounced the gift of speaking in tongues, rather he edified the gift. But he was encouraging them to seek another gift, one that would benefit others . . .

If every Christian could speak and understand, every language on Earth, this would be a nifty thing.

But what is even more nifty, is for every Christian to be used by the Lord.

Where does it say in Scripture that understanding the tongue coincides with the gift of tongues?

1 Corinthians 12:10

To another the working of miracles ; to another prophecy ; to another discerning of spirits ; to another divers kinds of tongues ; to another the interpretation of tongues:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

"14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15 What is the outcome then ? I will pray with the spirit and I will pray with the mind also ; I will sing with the spirit and I will sing with the mind also." (1 Cor. 14:14-15)

1 Corinthians 14:14-15

V.14 For if I pray in an [unknown] tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

V.15

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  885
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  02/19/1960

I cor. 12-14 is about the use and misuse of spiritual gifts, not their supposed cessation (no exegetical basis for this rationalizing away of the work of the Spirit in the Church Age).

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  247
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  2

I would just like to know how many brothers and sisters who have posted on this topic have spoken in tongues? :)

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,181
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I would just like to know how many brothers and sisters who have posted on this topic have spoken in tongues? :)

I pray in tongues daily sunnier, but so far always in private, or so low a whisper in church that no one would understand what I was doing. What happens in some churches when people praise in tongues is just wrong in my view of scripture. and it is not just something one decides to do.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

I pray in tongues daily sunnier, but so far always in private, or so low a whisper in church that no one would understand what I was doing. What happens in some churches when people praise in tongues is just wrong in my view of scripture. and it is not just something one decides to do.

My thoughts and experience too :thumbsup:.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,246
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Rom 8:26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

Rom 8:27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God

"There are prayers that break the backs of words" - Spurgeon

Fez, as a person who experiences this often, I can testify that there are not words. I might add that in my opinion should never be done in public. It's strictly between the person, The Holy Spirit Speaking and the Father. When I've been asked to pray in public, my mouth just dries up and I can't speak at all.

I might add that I didn't ask for it, but it was forced on me one night in the mid 1980's and it's not something I can initiate myself...... it just happens. Sometimes I understand who/what it's for and sometimes it seems none of my business..

we are told to examine the spirits to see if they are of God or not!

1 John 4:1-2

4 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

NKJV

but it was forced on me one night in the mid 1980's and it's not something I can initiate myself

1 Cor 14:32

32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets.

NKJV

There is a discrepancy here I would search it out for your testimony is in contradiction to God's Word as this being of God.... Love Steven

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  86
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/18/1994

Sunnier, I speak in tounges daily, this is how I grow stronger i the Lord, having His spirit talk through me and dwell inside of me allows me to reciee revelation of his greatness :)

Bless you

I haven't.....but I still believe they exist.

John 20

29 Jesus said to him,