ayin jade

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  320
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  3,166
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  0

Some folks prefer Christian music over secular music because of its messages. For those of you who prefer it, I have a question/ series of questions.

Is there any difference to you in music versus radio talk shows/ tv shows? Do you feel that just like you should shun secular music you should also shun secular talk shows/ tv shows? Or is music somehow different? How about books? Do you avoid secular books and only read Christian ones?

This isnt meant to be a judgmental debate. Im interested in a discussion on why folks do what they do lol.

Blessings jade,

i do not listen/read watch anything that is not Christian usually with the occasional except ( if i am at another's house, hearing a hurricane earthquake or news item from others etc). This has been at least the past 6 years or so. i used to have tv with cable for my children when they came to visit but stopped that as well. ( we talk during their visits anyway lol)

why i do it is because my spirit is bothered when i do.

love your sister in Christ,

Rebekah David

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.21
  • Days Won:  115

I am bit of an oddball. I really don't care for music, but have a few songs that I listen to when the time is right. They are worship songs. I don't really care for movies outside of one piece of my past that I have a hard time letting go of, and that is Science Fiction. Ido have a series of Christian dvd's and climbing dvd's I watch. I also watch news, discovery channel, history channel and Sci-Fy (not the horror or demonic worshiping shows). I try to watch Christian TV, but most of those do not set right with me. For the most part, all this is just background noise while I am on the computer.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

I am bit of an oddball. I really don't care for music, but have a few songs that I listen to when the time is right. They are worship songs. I don't really care for movies outside of one piece of my past that I have a hard time letting go of, and that is Science Fiction. Ido have a series of Christian dvd's and climbing dvd's I watch. I also watch news, discovery channel, history channel and Sci-Fy (not the horror or demonic worshiping shows). I try to watch Christian TV, but most of those do not set right with me. For the most part, all this is just background noise while I am on the computer.

I try to watch Christian TV, but most of those do not set right with me

With you on that one. At one stage in my early walk I used to feel guilty because I was not watching them.

One learns, and grows.......... (that is not to say that there are not some great Calvinists like Piper out there :whistling: )

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  31
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  213
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  11/06/1949

,I dont watch much tv,,the music that brings joy to my spirit and courses me to dance is music that gives Glory to God not man.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Some folks prefer Christian music over secular music because of its messages.

For me, it is not just the message, but how it makes me "feel", or rather how it makes my spirit feel.

There are even Christian songs out there that don't feel good in my spirit, either. For instance, there are artists who sing and record worship songs that don't have the "feel" of worship with it, and I don't like listening to their version of the song.

You see, I have a sensitivity to worship (musically), and I have discovered that not everyone has this. But I don't know how to explain to those who don't what is like and how it affects me. I utilize it when I am worship dancing, my body flows with the worship of the song in expressive ways. I'm not sure how to put into words how I can tell this sensitivity is with my spirit rather than my soul, other than it is something that seems to be sensed more in my gut area than in my brain-chemical area.

Surprisingly I do understand. I am that way with books. My hubby loves Russian novels. I cannot read them. If I try, I get almost suicidal and just so depressed. Im like that with any book. I seem to internalize the mood in the book. That doesnt mean I can only read happy cheery books. I just have to be careful not to read books that have a crushing oppressiveness to them. That oppressiveness doesnt seem to relate to the topic of the book either. I claim I empathize with the book somehow.

Hope my rambling makes some sense.

It did.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Content Per Day:  0.00

Some folks prefer Christian music over secular music because of its messages. For those of you who prefer it, I have a question/ series of questions.

Is there any difference to you in music versus radio talk shows/ tv shows? Do you feel that just like you should shun secular music you should also shun secular talk shows/ tv shows? Or is music somehow different? How about books? Do you avoid secular books and only read Christian ones?

This isnt meant to be a judgmental debate. Im interested in a discussion on why folks do what they do lol.

I don't believe in shunning secular music but I believe everyone is given a certain level of ability to choose what they prefer to listen to. I love Inspirational music and I also love opera, but again it's all earthly. The music played and sung in heaven is far more beautiful than the music we hear on earth.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  30
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

I have not watched network TV regularly for some time, mainly because the Lord opened my eyes to how degrading much of it was. So called "sitcoms" that are anything but funny, and some I find insulting. As I've spent more time with Jesus I've lost my taste for much of what passes for network TV now.

I still listen to some different "secular" music every now and again, but very little. I usually turn on something for background noise when the computer is on and lately its been Moody Praise & Worship. There are a couple of Christian stations where I live, but I'm not that into the modern music. My tastes have changed quite a bit over the years in music too. I've lost the taste for a lot of the secular stuff.

I can't really say that I made any real decision about changing what kind of TV or music is on, but things have worked out that way over time. More of a change of heart working its way from the inside out I think.

Ditto Walla...with the exception of Moody Praise and Worship and radio stations. Don't listen to any radio, christian or secular. I try to watch TV but get disgusted with most of what's on. I even get bored with the Christian stations. Sometimes I just want to be entertained with clean entertainment and not a lot of talk and preachy stuff. There are no shows I watch regularly. I do like Dancing w/the stars but something else may attract my attention while channel surfing, which is what I mostly do.

As far as music, I love it! At one point I made a conscious choice not to listen to secular music when my relationship with the Lord was in a growing phase. Then I reached a point where I could handle some of it. I love jazz and missed it during that phase. Fortunately now there is a lot of jazz worship out there. When I get a hankering for some of the old school artists I will take a listen, but find I can't take a steady diet of it. I have an eclectic taste in music and listen to a lot of different genres, excluding hip hop, rock and bluegrass. When the music sounds good and the vocal stylings stir my soul and spirit I will listen as long as my spirit doesn't feel troubled with what I'm listening to.

I used to devour books as someone else mentioned, now I read few and far between. I read so many sefl-help books (christian and secular) that to me now they all say the same thing in a different way (in their perspective genre). Other than the bilble and devotion books, fiction is my choice now. I love mysteries with a hint of romance so Terri Blackstock is an author I read a lot of. Loved The Shack by Nicholas Sparks.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  105
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  3,131
  • Content Per Day:  0.45
  • Days Won:  1

Hummm... Music..

Music is an odd thing .. it becomes part of you when you listen to it ..

I mostly prefer Christian music and it matters what kind.. like nebula that is a lot I don't like..

I prefer worship music ...

when I am listening to music it is a praise to God ..which I think God gave us music for ... :)

But .. for entertainment I like country and oldies ..;-).. for me 50's and 60's is oldies...

but I don't like to listen to it a lot as it most definatley affects your spirit..yup.. it does...

I had not watched the news all summer and the other day I pulled up the news to read it and gosh it was down right offensive what they were even discussing on the news.. they should be embarrased to put stuff out there and talk about it like that..

so I do not miss the news and just did not realize how crude even the news had become..

Movies.. another thing altogether from music but they still has an effect on your spirit...

I try to watch fun stuff .. no vile subjects like what is pretty much all that is put out now....

Look.. they way I believe it is ... I look at it listen to it read it and it goes in to me... and it will come out... if I put in

worship music I will worship God .. If I put in some fun country or oldies it is like junk food ... if I put in movies that are not so nice then I end up battleing the stuff that got put into my head while I watched it..

it is true... you are what you eat... I try to eat good stuff with music and entertainment ... no way close to perfect but I sure do try ..

if we are open to the Lord to tell us He will certainly let you know when to turn something off ..music or radio or tv...

I have been thinking a lot about what it was like before men were aware of "the knowledge of good and evil"...

how wonderful it will be to return to that place where we only know that which is good again...

I'm working on it now... :)

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  512
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  8,601
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/04/1973

To me, listening to a DECENT secular song isn't any different than reading a good piece of poetry. When I rededicated my life in 2001, I got rid of a ton of albums, cassettes, CD's and 8-tracks and went legalistically "gospel music only." The more and more I thought of it, I came to the thought that as long as there is nothing offensive with the lyrics, there was nothing wrong with listening to it.

I, like Nebula, have a problem with some Christian music. I don't want to start an argument, but some years ago I was in a music store hearing music that made me cringe. It turned out that song was Stryper's "To Hell With The Devil." I simply do not get the idea of "Christian Metal" or "Christian Screamo." A friend of mine's son tried to turn Lee on to "Christian" songs that were screamo in nature-you couldn't understand the lyrics!!!! What's uplifting about that?

I've also heard a station that is supposed to be "positive, wholesome country" with a Christian bent play Garth Brooks' song "We Shall Be Free." The video of that song shows a Muslim at prayer. When I presented them with this fact on their Facebook page, I got zero feedback from them as if they don't care. They also played "The Devil Went Down To Georgia" the other day. Perhaps it's a cute song and all, but should a station that is supposed to be Christian at it's core be playing that?

As far as TV goes you'll find me watching Hee Haw on RFD-TV on Sunday nites, Fox News at nite, Cardinals during baseball season and a lot of westerns if I'm off work. Oh, and don't forget Jed and his kin!!!! :21: