• Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Churches Loan Buildings to Muslims for Worship

By Heather Sells

CBN News Reporter

Monday, January 24, 2011

Some American churches have taken a controversial step to reach out to their Muslim neighbors.

At least two congregations received national attention recently after they opened their doors to local Muslims, letting them use their church buildings to hold Muslim worship services.

Read here

:blink:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,785
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  223
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

One giant step on a very slippery slope .... although the building is NOT Gods church it is a place that should be " safe " ... wonder how "safe " it will feel after this and just where do you stop??

allow witches to dance naked ??

allow witchdoctors to hold animal sacrifices there ??

allow human sacrifices ??

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

This is a form of the Emergent Church.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

I am totally against this. Why defile a house of God with satanic rituals? :noidea:

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,194
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  0

The early Quakers made a big point of calling their places of worship "Meeting Houses" rejecting the terms church or chapel because they felt that seeing a mere building as being more holy than any other place was idolatrous. They were built because worshipping in other locations was inconvenient. As a contemporary Quaker I share this view, although perhaps illogically I am at the same time very fond of some of our older meeting houses. I know of meetings that rent their facilities to Bhuddist , Bahais, Seventh Day Adventists and a variety of Christian congregations. I'm sure that there are also Muslim and other religious groups using our facilites in diffrent places, and I don't have a problem with this.

This discussion also brings to mind a famous, well famousish, East London building, built in1743 as a church "La Eglise neuve"for Protestant refugees from France, it has since been a since been a Methodist church, a synagogue "Spitalfields Great Synagogue" and is now a Mosque. These changes reflect the fact that this part of London has traditionally been fairly poor and has always had a substantial immigrant population. Communities which as they get richer tend to move away making way for the next group of migrants. It's a handsome building and I'm glad to see that after 250 years it's still maintained and used. I'm glad that it hasn't been demolished and turned into a supermarket.

Another building I'm familiar with is the Scuolanova synagogue in Trani in the Puglia region of Italy. This building was built in 1247 as a synagogue but in 1380 it was confiscated by the state and turned into a church and the substantial local Jewish population were forced to covert or flee. In the early 90's in nearby Bari and remember Trani and seeing this rather neglected building which was locked and hadn't been used for worship since the 1950's. I was very pleased to learn that in 2006 it was formally deconsecrated and given back to the local Jewish community.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  04/24/1986

I'm not sure how wise this is. Would they [Muslims] do the same for Christian congregants? Furthermore, there are more ways of showing love to the Muslims than to desecrate the building where the living and true God's presence dwells.

I'm not sure how wise this is. Would they [Muslims] do the same for Christian congregants? Furthermore, there are more ways of showing love to the Muslims than to desecrate the building where the living and true God's presence dwells.

What makes one pile of bricks more holy or sacred than any other? Do you believe that God is only present in certain special buildings?

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  539
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  32,785
  • Content Per Day:  5.03
  • Days Won:  223
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

I dont think it is because the building is " holy" it is the implications ..would you invite satanists to use your home to worship in ???

I dont think it is because the building is " holy" it is the implications ..would you invite satanists to use your home to worship in ???

As I share a flat with four others two of whom are fairly devout Chinese Muslims (who I don't class as Satanists) I'm sure that there is the occasional Meccaward prayer made here. However we all manage to live together in a friendly loving manner, for which i give thanks to God.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

This train of thought is as I said ... ↓

This is a form of the Emergent Church.