• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/06/1981

Well, another thing about the gravity - the orbits of some of the comets coming in lately have been other than what was expected, so they think something of great gravity must be out there deflecting the comets out of their proper orbits.

Keep in mind how far out they are talking about this thing being - roughly a quarter of a light year away! That's a long way out to be tracking something that does not shine with its own light.

Ahhhhh..... Gravity and electromagnetism from a planetary body would be a likely cause of that effect. I was thinking of the lensing effect surrounding black holes and massive stars that distorts light passing by. They must be observing a lot of objects/matter out there moving in an unusual way for them to think it's something that big. I love science. There's always something new right around the corner, and when we find it we realize it's been there all along. It's like that aha moment that makes it all worthwhile.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Here's another report with some more info.

It also presents the skeptic's position from the scientific perspective.

Astronomers Question Existence of Solar System's Mystery Planet Tyche

By Natalie Wolchover

Published February 16, 2011

Space.com

Read here

Here are my questions. If we know enough about our solar system to know the makeup of all the planets, their moons and the asteroid belt, how could they miss such an object after all this time?

Actually, we are still learning. There are many mysteries to our solar system. That's why Pluto was recently re-categorized.

The asteroid belt is fairly close to us. The Oort Cloud is not.

In fact, in many ways the Oort Cloud is more or less in the theory phase rather than the established fact stage, since we've only discovered a few objects belonging to it.

As for the massive object, as was mentioned above, it will not reflect as much light as Jupiter does, being so far away. And the distance does decrease the apparent size.

For perspective, here are pictures of some of our planets from Voyager 1 taken back in 1990 after if passed Pluto's orbit:

https://lightsinthedark.wordpress.com/2011/02/14/from-the-litd-archives-voyagers-valentine/

To me, the logic of just not looking in the right place seems too weak to believe with all the technology we have at our fingertips.

This is how Neptune was discovered.

As far as your proposal, do you actually know the technology available and what it can do?

Do you actually know what our telescopes can pick up? More, do you understand the sizes and distances away of the things we do see?

If we can be so certain about all this, how did they miss something so big? It's not like it just appeared, is it? Did God just make another planet?

I refer to Sheya's post.

I always liked irony. They decided pluto was not our ninth planet, even though they know exactly where it is. Now they are hoping to find the actual ninth planet! lol :) It's kinda funny to me anyway......

Hey -

I do not believe you understand the whole story?

Pluto was an oddity from the beginning. It does not have the same orbital path as the other 8 planets, either in shape of the orbit or the position of it. There were other oddities, such as it's composition, being mostly a dirty snowball, basically.

As comets became more and more understood, astronomers began speculating whether Pluto might actually be among the other objects they were recently discovering, which they dubbed Trans-Neptunian Objects (TNO's). Once astonomers discovered an object which they would now classify as a TNO which was a larger body than Pluto, they decided Pluto truly belonged with that category. So they changed it.

Trans-Neptunian Objects (TNO)

More here

Well, another thing about the gravity - the orbits of some of the comets coming in lately have been other than what was expected, so they think something of great gravity must be out there deflecting the comets out of their proper orbits.

Keep in mind how far out they are talking about this thing being - roughly a quarter of a light year away! That's a long way out to be tracking something that does not shine with its own light.

Thanks for the explanation, Sheya!

I wonder if anyone has theorized a brown dwarf passing by?

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Here are my questions. If we know enough about our solar system to know the makeup of all the planets, their moons and the asteroid belt, how could they miss such an object after all this time?

Actually, we are still learning. There are many mysteries to our solar system. That's why Pluto was recently re-categorized.

The asteroid belt is fairly close to us. The Oort Cloud is not.

In fact, in many ways the Oort Cloud is more or less in the theory phase rather than the established fact stage, since we've only discovered a few objects belonging to it.

As for the massive object, as was mentioned above, it will not reflect as much light as Jupiter does, being so far away. And the distance does decrease the apparent size.

For perspective, here are pictures of some of our planets from Voyager 1 taken back in 1990 after if passed Pluto's orbit:

https://lightsinthedark.wordpress.com/2011/02/14/from-the-litd-archives-voyagers-valentine/

To me, the logic of just not looking in the right place seems too weak to believe with all the technology we have at our fingertips.

This is how Neptune was discovered.

As far as your proposal, do you actually know the technology available and what it can do?

Do you actually know what our telescopes can pick up? More, do you understand the sizes and distances away of the things we do see?

If we can be so certain about all this, how did they miss something so big? It's not like it just appeared, is it? Did God just make another planet?

I refer to Sheya's post.

Thanks Neb. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do. :) I also learned another term, "Oort cloud". And no, I only "assumed" that since we can see way out there, our technology must be grand. The best I can do is the backyard telescope, to be honest. The moon looks really great in one of those, so I only "assumed" that what the big guns use are much more advanced then what I have.

Oort cloud ... wow! So many comets!

Looks like I have a whole lot to catch up on, my mistake. Keep the pictures coming!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Most of the people that I have read that do believe in this other planet are using disturbances in the orbits of our other planets as to the belief itself. There are perturbations in our orbits and in the research to find out why, this planet is one way they could be produced.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

Ive heard rumors of this planet since the 1970s and I dont mean planet x/niburu.

Thanks Neb. Looks like I have a lot of catching up to do. :) I also learned another term, "Oort cloud". And no, I only "assumed" that since we can see way out there, our technology must be grand. The best I can do is the backyard telescope, to be honest. The moon looks really great in one of those, so I only "assumed" that what the big guns use are much more advanced then what I have.

Oort cloud ... wow! So many comets!

Looks like I have a whole lot to catch up on, my mistake. Keep the pictures coming!

You are welcome!

A lot of people don't understand exactly what goes on with our views of outerspace. The next time you look at a Hubble image, look for a description of its size and distance from us.

Example: The Orion Nebula "covers about 1

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  88
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  11/06/1981

I always liked irony. They decided pluto was not our ninth planet, even though they know exactly where it is. Now they are hoping to find the actual ninth planet! lol :) It's kinda funny to me anyway......

Hey -

I do not believe you understand the whole story?

Pluto was an oddity from the beginning. It does not have the same orbital path as the other 8 planets, either in shape of the orbit or the position of it. There were other oddities, such as it's composition, being mostly a dirty snowball, basically.

As comets became more and more understood, astronomers began speculating whether Pluto might actually be among the other objects they were recently discovering, which they dubbed Trans-Neptunian Objects (TNO's). Once astonomers discovered an object which they would now classify as a TNO which was a larger body than Pluto, they decided Pluto truly belonged with that category. So they changed it.

Trans-Neptunian Objects (TNO)

More here

I was referring to the irony of it nebula. I honestly wasn't making a sarcastic remark. The truth is that I understand the reasons pluto was reclassified quite well. I followed the story for a while at the time, and it makes sense. Science is constantly reclassifying to make a more understandable system for communicating ideas and information. :)