IGNORED

Who or What do you think the leaven refers to here in Matthew 13:33?

logos7

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  283
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/01/1983

Mathhew 13:33

Another parable spake He unto them; The kingdom of heaven is like unto leaven, which a woman took, and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened.

So from this verse who or what do you think is the leaven?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I never thought of this as someone or something, but a principle as to how the Kingdom of Heaven works.

I never thought of this as someone or something, but a principle as to how the Kingdom of Heaven works.

Could you tell me about this principle Nebula? I was reading a footnote in my Ryrie Study Bible about a certain principle that has me completely dumbfounded :noidea: .

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

From Dictionary(dot) com

Leaven: as a noun...an element that produces an altering or transforming influence.

as a verb,,,,to permeate with an altering or transforming element.

The Kingdom of Heaven certainly qualifies as an altering, influencing or transforming element.

Although I'm leaning towards the term " Kingdom of Heaven " to mean the Word of God and specifically the Gospel.

From Dictionary(dot) com

Leaven: as a noun...an element that produces an altering or transforming influence.

The Kingdom of Heaven certainly qualifies as an altering, influencing or transforming element.

Although I'm leaning towards the term " Kingdom of Heaven " to mean the Word of God and specifically the Gospel.

Thanks HP, that kinda what I getting confused at. From the Ryrie Study Bible Footnote section b of Matthew 13:33--"Others regard the meaning of leaven in this parable in a good sense, as indicating the growth of the kingdom of heaven by means of the penetrating power of the Gospel." What confuses me, from what I have studied and understand everywhere else in the Bible when leaven is spoken of; it is a type of impurity or evil, I guest I confused especially by Paul statement in I Corinthians 5:6-8. I know this may not mean anything but why would God use leaven as symbol of His kingdom. :noidea:

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Topic Count:  128
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,704
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/08/1950

From Dictionary(dot) com

Thanks HP, that kinda what I getting confused at. From the Ryrie Study Bible Footnote section b of Matthew 13:33--"Others regard the meaning of leaven in this parable in a good sense, as indicating the growth of the kingdom of heaven by means of the penetrating power of the Gospel." What confuses me, from what I have studied and understand everywhere else in the Bible when leaven is spoken of; it is a type of impurity or evil, I guest I confused especially by Paul statement in I Corinthians 5:6-8. I know this may not mean anything but why would God use leaven as symbol of His kingdom. :noidea:

not necessarily as a symbol of His kingdom, but rather what His kingdom can do.....or for that matter , as Paul uses is it.....how evil can permeate. it is the action of leaven that is central here........because as Paul says ... a little leaven( evil)...leavens( infects) the whole loaf( society ).

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

From Dictionary(dot) com

I think that you've got it. Leaven (yeast) is many times used in a negative way in the Bible, but I think this example is positive - growth from small to large - yes - transforming, altering, and influencing more and more. The example given regards bread and how yeast eventually permeates meal. There is disagreement on this portion of Scripture, but it certainly appears to be a positive example of leaven - the leaven being the Gospel and the growth of the Kingdom of God. Those who bake bread using yeast will understand the symbolism here. It's somewhat confusing since other portions of the Bible use leaven to indicate spoilage (fermentation) - impure. In context, this parable appears to refer to the rising and growth of the Kingdom of God - the Gospel being the agent of change and growth.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  282
  • Content Per Day:  0.06

Could you tell me about this principle Nebula? I was reading a footnote in my Ryrie Study Bible about a certain principle that has me completely dumbfounded :noidea: .

As a question what does the footnote say?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  09/16/1993

I've always heard that the " Kingdom of God " was the ministry of the believer thru Christ, and the " Kingdom of Heaven " being the literal kingdom Christ sets up here on earth. Of course, I may be wrong... Any insight guys? :)

Unless the " Kingdom of Heaven " can have more than one meaning?

Edited by Saved2Serve

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  642
  • Content Per Day:  0.13

logos7 said:

What confuses me, from what I have studied and understand everywhere else in the Bible when leaven is spoken of; it is a type of impurity or evil . . .

Leaven can represent impurity or evil, for Jesus Christ referred to the false doctrine and hypocrisy of the Pharisees and the Sadducees, which had corrupted how the Jews understood and practiced their religion, as being like leaven (Matthew 16:12, Luke 12:1b). And Paul referred to malice and wickedness, which can corrupt church congregations, as being like leaven (1 Corinthians 5:8). He also referred to the false, Pharisaical doctrine that believers have to be physically circumcised and keep the letter of the Mosaic law in order to be saved (cf. Acts 15:1,5), which doctrine can corrupt church congregations, as being like leaven (Galatians 5:4-14).

But the leaven in Matthew 13:33 and Luke 13:20-21 can't represent corruption, because the kingdom of heaven/God isn't like corruption, but is righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit (Romans 14:17). The fact that Leviticus 23:16-17 says that the two loaves of the feast of Pentecost had to be leavened suggests that the leaven in Leviticus 23:16-17, Matthew 13:33 and Luke 13:20-21 could represent the Holy Spirit himself, who came upon the church during a feast of Pentecost in the first century AD (Acts 2).

The two leavened loaves of Pentecost (Leviticus 23:16-17) could have typified how the Holy Spirit would eventually come upon both Jewish believers and Gentile believers (Acts 10:45). And in Matthew 13:33 and Luke 13:20-21, the woman could represent the church spreading the Holy Spirit through the laying on of hands (Acts 8:17, Acts 19:6). The three measures of meal through which the Holy Spirit is spread (Matthew 13:33) could represent the (roughly) three millennia from the time of Pentecost in Acts 2 (in the first century AD) until the end of the future millennium (Revelation 20:4-6).

Also, the three measures of meal through which the Holy Spirit is spread (Matthew 13:33) could represent the three main groups the Jews divided humanity into at the time of Jesus' first coming: Israelites, Samaritans (Gentiles who had a quasi-Jewish religion) and Gentiles (Matthew 10:5-6). Israelites were the first to receive the Holy Spirit (Acts 2), then Samaritans (Acts 8:14-17), then Gentiles (Acts 10:45-46).

Edited by Bible2