IGNORED

Where do Atheists get there moral code?

Isaiah 6:8

Again, I am not speaking to what believers think about this question, my question is to the atheists, as all my questions in the outer court has been. I want to know, where Atheists think they got there moral code. Stating that God gave it to them is the Christian point of view. This I know!

If you're addressing only atheists, you should state that in the OP.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Again, I am not speaking to what believers think about this question, my question is to the atheists, as all my questions in the outer court has been. I want to know, where Atheists think they got there moral code. Stating that God gave it to them is the Christian point of view. This I know!

If you're addressing only atheists, you should state that in the OP.

I attempted to.

I know from speaking to many atheist that they have a moral code. My question is where does this come from?

and I did not word it correctly, so I fixed it.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Personally I think that humans morality is embedded in our brains, and this embedding has a natural, biological origin.

I am referring here to the universal moral values that can be found in all societies (do not kill, do not steal, do

not cause sufferance to children, etc.).

What did you believe a year ago?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

Personally I think that humans morality is embedded in our brains, and this embedding has a natural, biological origin.

I am referring here to the universal moral values that can be found in all societies (do not kill, do not steal, do

not cause sufferance to children, etc.).

That there was a universal concept of good and evil and that moral was deriving directly from

God through Jesus. I do not believe this anymore.

Reading the OT contributed to my cognitive dissonance.

Just out of curiosity.....why do nearly all atheists use the term 'cognitive dissonance' when discussing various topics? I'm being serious.....I'd really like to know.

Personally I think that humans morality is embedded in our brains, and this embedding has a natural, biological origin. I am referring here to the universal moral values that can be found in all societies (do not kill, do not steal, do not cause sufferance to children, etc.).

That there was a universal concept of good and evil and that moral was deriving directly from God through Jesus. I do not believe this anymore. Reading the OT contributed to my cognitive dissonance.

Just out of curiosity.....why do nearly all atheists use the term 'cognitive dissonance' when discussing various topics? I'm being serious.....I'd really like to know.

Well, I used this also when I was a theist, when studying other things. I think it is the best sentence that describes the contrast between expectations and reality. I am not saying that the OT is not real, I just had (before reading it) a completely different moral perspective about God. Many things I read there did not correspond to my moral values, therefore the cognitive dissonance.

Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding conflicting ideas simultaneously

Well

Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. John 5:39

Reading The First Testament Of Jesus (OT)

Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book it is written of me, Psalms 40:7

I Find The Conflicting

Yea, hath God said Genesis 3:1(d)

Ideas

And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: Genesis 3:4

Are

Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. Isaiah 1:18

Resolved

But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. Isaiah 53:5-7

By The Prince Of Peace

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

You See?

Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

I would say that my moral code is formed through a combination of my moral intuitions, my reason, and the ideas I've encountered through studying moral and political philosophy.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

I would say that my moral code is formed through a combination of my moral intuitions, my reason, and the ideas I've encountered through studying moral and political philosophy.

And where do you get your intuitions.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

And where do you get your intuitions.

It's probably a combination of various things- some of it might come from basic animal instincts, some of it is probably culture-specific, and some of it develops and evolves as I live my life, and encounter new ideas an experiences.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  905
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,646
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

This is good. Dr. Walter Martin posed this to an atheist rabbi (of all people) on the old Long John Nevel radio show. In it he posed the question about the Holocaust wherein the Nazis determined their moral code was to allow them to exterminate Jews and handicapped people and homosexuals and some believe eventually Christians and Muslims had he gotten round to it. The rabbi was easily caught in the corner of his own logical fallacies.

Some Christian author did a sermon based on the moral anchor using only a chair as his prop. I can't for the life of me recall his name but I see his face in mt minds' eye.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sargebg

Many of us do not rely on a god to be our moral compass. We do what we know to be right because it is right and not because we fear a supernatural being and that we will be punished in another life is we transgress.

I would ask christians why they seem to pick and choose morals from the bible. They overlook murder, rape, incest and slavery all done in the name of their god and choose those parts of the bible that gel with their moral code.

My challenge is for christians to tell me of a moral act that could not have been done equally by an atheist as by christian. I can tell you of immoral acts that would only be done by someone who believed they were acting on behalf of their god.

Edited by sargebg