How Much Would You spend On Your Pet?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,115
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

I actually do a good bit of lab work for both humans and animals, and charge the same regardless of patient. Sadly, I think there is a limit before one considers an animal "totaled". Sorry, had a car wreck this weekend.

I have a feeling that days are coming when we will have to do the same with humans. My dad died from prostate cancer year before last........ no one should have to suffer that kind of pain. If I come down with something like that, I may well move to Oragon......

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/18/1967

Wow. I sponsor a family of four in a third world country for less than that.

Guest LadyC

hwy, if it was a member of your family, would it be worth spending more? after all, for your family's provisions you already spend far more than the cost of sponsoring a third world country. one visit to the e.r. would cost at least that much.

when a person adopts a pet, they're making as much a commitment to that pet as they would be if they were adopting a child. it becomes a member of their family, and their responsibility.

I have rescued animals out of the road a few times, but I honestly could not imagine spending that much on an animal before one of Gods own children.

Guest LadyC

i understand your point of view. but at the same time, God gave us animals, in part for our companionship, and has given us responsibility for them. if we choose to TAKE that responsibility in a personal way, by owning a pet, then by all means, we should be willing to provide them with the necessary medical care.

it's not that we, as animal lovers, don't also spend "that much on an animal before one of God's own children".... now, i don't sponsor a child or family, particularly outside of our own country, but i do give time, money, and of myself to those who are less fortunate right here in my own neighborhood. i also contribute to missions in other countries, through the foursquare organization because i know that every penny of what i donate will make it to someone in need, wherever that need is.

we are all called to good stewardship hwy... but to each, God has given a desire to help in different areas than others.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

How Much Would You spend On Your Pet?

If it was a cat, the price of a bullet. ;)

That much! You must love cats more than I do.

God wonderfully designed each animal He created to be able to live where it is found. What we find is not animals struggling to survive (as evolution teaches), but animals that have been made to survive from the beginning because the Creator designed them that way.

Animals are not equals. They are ment to serve us.

2. For food (Genesis 9:2-3) 3. For clothing (Matthew 3:4) 4. For transportation (Genesis 22:3) 5. For sacrifice, in order to point to the one great Sacrifice and to illustrate that salvation is only possible by way of the shedding of blood (Gen. 4:4; Lev.1:3) 6. For judgment of sinful men (Exodus chapter 8; 2 Kings 2:23-24) 7. To serve man in a multitude of ways (Gen. 8:7-8; and compare some amazing uses of animals today, such as "seeing eye dogs" for the blind, animals used in experimentation so as to develop new drugs and medical procedures, etc.) 8. To teach men spiritual lessons (Proverbs 6:6) 9. To teach men of God

I do agree that we should all be more environmentaly friendly, especially concerning animals. But my answer to your question would be a definite no. I would not spend that kind of money for a pet. But I won't judge anyone else for it either. People spend money on things they need alot less than a pet.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

I'd be reluctant to sit down and try to add up all the money we've spent on our pets through the years. We've invested a particularly large amount of money in our girl, Katie. (She's my profile pic :) ) She's had two surgeries on her legs and one emergency surgery to be spayed when she developed a uterine infection. And that doesn't even count the amount of money we spend on a yearly basis for basic care like food, shots and flea/tick meds.

Hubby and I don't have children, so our pets are our kids. We love them very much. I still grieve strongly for my childhood pet who's been gone for more than two decades now. Yes, they're animals. No, they don't hold the same "value" as a human. If push came to shove, one would presumably have to choose the life and welfare of a human over that of any animal no matter how beloved. But - I also believe that we are stewards of the animals. While we were given clear dominion over them and are free to use them in many ways, including for food, I do not think that means we are free to treat them cruelly or without basic compassion. Even the ox at the mill was allowed to eat the grain it helped grind.

The moment we agree to bring an animal into our lives - and I'm not just talking dogs and cats and other traditional pet species here - we agree to take full and total responsibility for it's care and welfare. This means, as far as I am concerned, that we are responsible for making sure they are kept comfortable irregardless of their purpose. No animal, whether it's a house cat or dog or a cow or pig in a bar that's destined for slaughter should be allowed to suffer. Case in point, we had some pigs several years back that we were raising for the sole purpose of filling our freezer with pork. One of them developed an issue that would have had no impact what-so-ever on the quality or taste of its mean once it was slaughtered. However, it would have been painful for the pig. So we treated it. We gave it daily injections of antibiotics until the issue was healed. Then, a few months later, we took it to the butcher. That was money out of our pocket that we didn't technically have to spend, but it was something neither I nor my husband could refuse to do. The animal was in our care and needed treatment. To have let it go on suffering simply because it was destined for slaughter would have been cruel.

So, basically, I would spend whatever I had to. That's not to say I won't put a suffering animal down. I've done it before and my heart is still broken over it. But so long as I believe my pet can continue to live a life without pain and suffering, I'm going to do what I can to keep it here with me.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  597
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,115
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

We had a really pretty Himalayan that our vet wanted me to put on high blood pressure medicine..... $300 a month...... no way...