Are you as puzzled as I am?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Yes I do see that at times. Some of the 2 line repetitive songs contain unscriptural messages or seem to be about self glory not God's glory. Worse though is the message I see in some places. For instance, there is a church I go to off and on that is making a lot of changes with a new pastor. Some of the messaages from there shock me. (Why do I still go? I dunno.) One message was all about how the pastor did this wonderful thing in the community, all self praise the entire sermon. Another one I went to spent much of the time talking about how the world might view Jesus ascending after His death as being abducted by aliens. I couldnt even stay for the end of that. I walked out.

This is the emergent church stuff though. Pleasing man, redefining the gospel, seeker sensitive drivel.

Stick to the gospel message, stick to the word of God. Let any song older hymn or modern praise stick to scriptural correctness. Please God, not man. That is what churches should be.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

The problem in talking about modern music is there seems to be two camps - "hymns only" or "bring in the new". (Slight exaggeration maybe.)

While I believe there is value in the old and accept the changing of seasons with songs and music, I am troubled by some of the trends that tend to be going around.

I mentioned the volume problem.

And yes, I hate repetition, too.

But what bothers me the most is where the musicians tend to be out of touch with the audience and seem to be up there having fun jamming rather than leading people into worship.

This disturbs me.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

When I read that part about megachurches, I thought about Joel Osteen's church. He will tickle your ears with whatever you want to hear. not sure about his preaching the gospel, though.

On a side note, we have tambourines in our pews. Even the little children love to play them. Is that a Holy instrument? I think even the earliest churches used those.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Tambourines are in the Bible.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

But what bothers me the most is where the musicians tend to be out of touch with the audience and seem to be up there having fun jamming rather than leading people into worship.

This disturbs me.

My first church had AWESOME music but something wasn't quite right. It felt more like a concert than worship, it bothered me. I love christian music that rocks it out and goes hard, but I just can't get into it in worship, I need it toned down a little to focus on the Lord and not the awesome riff. :wub:

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

YES, fully agree with all of you. When I mentioned a humble instrument I was thinking of the song 'Amazing Grace' and how it was perhaps started as a song in rhythm to the oars of a slave ship.

We have young people who periodically play the Sax, the piano or the minister plays his electric guitar with the organ. We have had the flute and a concert band come in to play. What I have a problem with is some of the newer songs that have no real tune and actually are depressing in tune and words that seem to say nothing and do not even rhyme. There is no worship in it. They ring hollow and empty. I read an article on one of the religious sites that spoke of the young people wanting the traditional hymns - the 'Tell me the old old story' ' Rock of ages' 'And can it be' etc. They are tired of the rock music for worship. Are we catering to the Boomers and neglecting the younger ones because we think they want the same music that the older generation wanted - that is where we may be making a mistake - just because of one generation, losing the next and thinking that they want to entertained and not ministered to in song and in word. The young people who play instruments in our church play the 'OLD' songs of Crosby, How, Havergal, Newton etc.