th1bill

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,263
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Jeepers, I'm not really sure how to respond to your post th1. It sounds so good and is so uplifting. However, from my perspective those touting our demise are really just trying to convince us to go some place politically that we would not normally go. While there it danger that things can fall apart, it's not likely to come to pieces totally...... and in the end times of Biblical history I'm not sure we really want to be #1. #1's don't seem to make out too well in prophecy.

We're on a fixed income too, and I understand how it is to rely on the Lord for sanity in this time and place...

As far as the question goes in the title of the thread......... I think you're standing in a pretty good place and I really hope you don't mind if I join you.......

I just opened my eyes and peeped, thereÅ› plenty of room... come on!

Good. To be really fair though, I don't "tithe" in the form of looking at what we made this week and give ten percent of it...... We do give a base amount, but when some need comes up we give..... some times it goes more than tithing and sometimes less, but we try and fill the needs of the people we come across that need help. When I see people struggling even at some place like McDonalds I've been known to reach across to the register that they are on and swipe my dredit card and not ever say a word. everyone might want to try that some time.

I dont' think the NT teaches tithing....... it teaches giving and doesn't stop at ten percent.

What I see in people who do tithe is a person who pays attention to thier finances and don't live above thier means..... and that by nature is going to give them a better life financially than those who don't.... But truth be told it's not ten percent that belongs to God at all when you give your life to Jesus.... so from my perspective we should be careful how we spend his money........ all of it and not just ten percent.

• 9 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  1
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

TITHES

-Paid by Abraham to Melchizedek

Ge 14:20; Heb 7:2-6

Abram's tithes were not of his own property. What he tithed was the spoils of war (He promised God he would not keep any of the spoils of war for himself)

-Jacob vows a tenth of all his property to God

Ge 28:22

Jacob did vow to give a tenth, but when one reads the surrounding verses, one will see that Jacob bargained with God. He promised to tithe IF God met certain requirements. One of those requirements was not met until nearly 21 years later. Had God required a tithe, Jacob would not have been able to bargain with God.

If we use Abram and Jacob's tithing as examples, we would be able to bargain with God and then only tithe of someone elses property that we obtained by pillaging after a war.

-Mosaic laws instituting

Le 27:30-33; Nu 18:21-24; De 12:6,7,17-19; 14:22-29;

26:12-15

-Customs relating to

Ne 10:37,38; Am 4:4; Heb 7:5-9

-A tithe of tithes for the priests

Nu 18:26; Ne 10:38

-Stored in the temple

Ne 10:38,39; 12:44; 13:5,12; 2Ch 31:11,12; Mal 3:10

-Payment of, resumed in Hezekiah's reign

2Ch 31:5-10

-Under Nehemiah

Ne 13:12

-Withheld

Ne 13:10; Mal 3:8

A study of these passages will reveal the tithe was not money, but was rather crops, flocks and herds. The tithe could be sold for money, but had to be bought back and eaten at the place where the Israelites were to tithe.

-Customary in later times

Mt 23:23; Lu 11:42; 18:12

This tithe was under the OT Mosaic Law and was required of the Pharisees because they were Israelites.

-Observed by idolaters

Am 4:4,5

-See TAX

Again, Old Testament Law.

The Jerusalem Council (Acts 15) wanted the Gentile Believers to keep the Mosaic Law and the Holy Ghost let James know that they were not to be bound by the Mosaic Law. They had only four things required of them... abstain from meat offered to idols, and from blood, avoid things strangled, and avoid fornication. The Holy Ghost said no greater burden was to be put upon the Gentile Believers.

We are not required to tithe.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I do not tithe anymore as scripture has led me away from the concept. God has access to all of my income and worldly possessions. All he needs to so is lay Lazarus at my gate or show me the need and I respond as I see him respond. I just live off of what I need and do not do much in the way of luxury. I invest myself in making sure that everyone I meet gets what spiritual food they need to live. I invest my time in my God. I present my body as a living sacrifice for his use as he sees fit.

Gary