• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  248
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  373
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  09/10/1963

Ok I was just wondering 2 things...

Do you think that it is alright with God to have at least one hard liquor drink on occasion or once a day?

And also if wine is considered to be called alcohol why do you think that he would have it represent his blood in the Bible?

The only scriptures I came up with pertaining to this subject was..

Luke 22:20

Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.

1 Corinthians 11:25

In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

1 Corinthians 11:27

[ Examine Yourself ] Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

So it might just be me but it sounds like an either or kind of thing.

What do you believe to be the case?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

There are a lot of references to wine in the OT, and it was held in high enough regard to be offered to the Lord.

Num 18:12 All the best of the oil and all the best of the wine and of the grain, the firstfruits of what they give to the LORD, I give to you.

It was used as a mild medicine for stomach ailments and socially, and later as we know, as a representation of the blood in the NT.

As eleanor stated, in excess it is a problem, and we are warned about it's excess and drinking strong wine that "sparkles in the cup".

So I guess it is personal choice, as well as knowing what excess is.

If one has a problem with excess, or does not know what excess is, it is better to not drink at all.

I for one know my limit is one cider a week on Fridays when I play pool. I go home sober, in control of all my faculties, and have enjoyed a night out with the "boys". Any more and I should not be driving, and I should not be walking through the front door of my house where my wife is waiting....

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

Do you think that it is alright with God to have at least one hard liquor drink on occasion or once a day?

And also if wine is considered to be called alcohol why do you think that he would have it represent his blood in the Bible?

Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you.

In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.”

[ Examine Yourself ] Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

There is no prohibition of alcohol in the NT. The only prohibition is to excessiveness (drunkenness) in its use.

Drinking in the eyes of God is not sinnful, however, If it causes a young Christain to faulter it is best not to drink.

Rom 14:20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.

Rom 14:21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

Rom 14:22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves.

Jesus, turned water into wine.

Joh 2:3 When the wine was gone, Jesus' mother said to him, "They have no more wine."

Joh 2:4 "Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Jesus replied. "My time has not yet come."

Joh 2:5 His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you."

Joh 2:6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.

Joh 2:7 Jesus said to the servants, "Fill the jars with water"; so they filled them to the brim.

Joh 2:8 Then he told them, "Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet." They did so,

Joh 2:9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside

Joh 4:46 Once more he visited Cana in Galilee, where he had turned the water into wine. And there was a certain royal official whose son lay sick at Capernaum.

Not all people should drink:

Luk 1:13 But the angel said to him: "Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John.

Luk 1:14 He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth,

Luk 1:15 for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from birth.

Luk 1:16 Many of the people of Israel will he bring back to the Lord their God.

As the other post wrote, do not get drunk on drink.

Eph 5:15 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise,

Eph 5:16 making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.

Eph 5:17 Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is.

Eph 5:18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.

1Ti 3:2 Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

1Ti 3:3 not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.

1Ti 3:8 Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain.

Hope this answers your questions.

Drinking wine that repersents Jesus Blood.

The bread and wine represented His body and blood about to be shed, in keeping with the remission of sins promised in the New Covenant

The red wine in the cup, is an emblem and representation of his precious blood, whereby was exhibited a new dispensation, or administration of the covenant of grace; and by which it was ratified and confirmed; and whereby all the blessings of it, such as peace, pardon, righteousness, and eternal life, come to the people of God: the allusion is to the first covenant, and the book of it being sprinkled with the blood of bulls, and therefore called the blood of the covenant, Exo_24:8. But the second covenant, or the new administration of the covenant of grace, for which reason it is called the New Testament, is exhibited and established in the blood of Christ the testator. It was usual, even among the Heathens, to make and confirm their covenants by drinking human blood, and that sometimes mixed with wine.

Edited by OldShep

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

There is no prohibition of alcohol in the NT. The only prohibition is to excessiveness (drunkenness) in its use.

Drinking in the eyes of God is not sinnful, however, If it causes a young Christain to faulter it is best not to drink.

Rom 14:20 Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble.

Rom 14:21 It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

Rom 14:22 So whatever you believe about these things keep between yourself and God. Blessed is the man who does not condemn himself by what he approves.

Joh 2:3 When the wine was gone, Jesus' mother said to him, "They have no more wine."

Joh 2:4 "Dear woman, why do you involve me?" Jesus replied. "My time has not yet come."

Joh 2:6 Nearby stood six stone water jars, the kind used by the Jews for ceremonial washing, each holding from twenty to thirty gallons.

Joh 2:7 Jesus said to the servants, "Fill the jars with water"; so they filled them to the brim.

Joh 2:8 Then he told them, "Now draw some out and take it to the master of the banquet." They did so,

Joh 2:9 and the master of the banquet tasted the water that had been turned into wine. He did not realize where it had come from, though the servants who had drawn the water knew. Then he called the bridegroom aside

Joh 4:46 Once more he visited Cana in Galilee, where he had turned the water into wine. And there was a certain royal official whose son lay sick at Capernaum.

Luk 1:13 But the angel said to him: "Do not be afraid, Zechariah; your prayer has been heard. Your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you are to give him the name John.

Luk 1:14 He will be a joy and delight to you, and many will rejoice because of his birth,

Luk 1:15 for he will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from birth.

Eph 5:18 Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit.

1Ti 3:2 Now the overseer must be above reproach, the husband of but one wife, temperate, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,

1Ti 3:3 not given to drunkenness, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.

1Ti 3:8 Deacons, likewise, are to be men worthy of respect, sincere, not indulging in much wine, and not pursuing dishonest gain.

The bread and wine represented His body and blood about to be shed, in keeping with the remission of sins promised in the New Covenant

The red wine in the cup, is an emblem and representation of his precious blood, whereby was exhibited a new dispensation, or administration of the covenant of grace; and by which it was ratified and confirmed; and whereby all the blessings of it, such as peace, pardon, righteousness, and eternal life, come to the people of God: the allusion is to the first covenant, and the book of it being sprinkled with the blood of bulls, and therefore called the blood of the covenant, Exo_24:8. But the second covenant, or the new administration of the covenant of grace, for which reason it is called the New Testament, is exhibited and established in the blood of Christ the testator. It was usual, even among the Heathens, to make and confirm their covenants by drinking human blood, and that sometimes mixed with wine.

John the Baptist did not drink wine (oinos in the Greek) or any other form of alcohol because it was prophesied that he wouldn’t (Luke 1:15). However, Jesus Christ did drink oinos (wine) (Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:34). Jesus did not preach against the use of wine; instead he did like most other Jews of his day. He drank wine in moderation. In ancient times it was normally diluted with water for drinking, and was one of the principal beverages in Palestine at that time—as it is today.

Paul instructed Timothy, “Drink no longer water, but use a little wine [oinos] for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities” (1 Tim. 5:23). He said to use only a little wine, not a whole lot. The purpose of this wine was Timothy’s frequent stomach ailments; small amounts of wine can help some stomach problems.

Some people will still reject this truth from the Bible about alcohol. They have made up their minds that the use of wine is always wrong.

The Bible shows we are not to judge or condemn those who honestly hold such beliefs (1 Cor. 10:23-33). Alcohol is not a necessity of life. In God’s eyes, one does not have to drink to show maturity, virility or sociability.

And because of the enormous destruction caused by alcohol abuse today, many people have decided that it is better to abstain even if the Bible does not require us to.

Perhapse all things done in moderation is the key word.

ncn.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,188
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

John the Baptist did not drink wine (oinos in the Greek) or any other form of alcohol because it was prophesied that he wouldn’t (Luke 1:15). However, Jesus Christ did drink oinos (wine) (Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:34). Jesus did not preach against the use of wine; instead he did like most other Jews of his day. He drank wine in moderation. In ancient times it was normally diluted with water for drinking, and was one of the principal beverages in Palestine at that time—as it is today.

Paul instructed Timothy, “Drink no longer water, but use a little wine [oinos] for your stomach’s sake and your frequent infirmities” (1 Tim. 5:23). He said to use only a little wine, not a whole lot. The purpose of this wine was Timothy’s frequent stomach ailments; small amounts of wine can help some stomach problems.

Some people will still reject this truth from the Bible about alcohol. They have made up their minds that the use of wine is always wrong.

The Bible shows we are not to judge or condemn those who honestly hold such beliefs (1 Cor. 10:23-33). Alcohol is not a necessity of life. In God’s eyes, one does not have to drink to show maturity, virility or sociability.

And because of the enormous destruction caused by alcohol abuse today, many people have decided that it is better to abstain even if the Bible does not require us to.

Perhapse all things done in moderation is the key word.

ncn.

Except extramarital sex...... that would have a tendency to get you killed in my house even in moderation.. LoL

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/18/1965

Might I also offer up a few pieces of scripture which may clarify and bear thinking about on this issue.

One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord. He who eats meat, eats to the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who abstains, does so to the Lord and gives thanks to God. For none of us lives to himself alone and none of us dies to himself alone. If we live, we live to the Lord; and if we die, we die to the Lord. So, whether we live or die, we belong to the Lord.

(Ro 14:5-8)

As one who is in the Lord Jesus, I am fully convinced that no foodb is unclean in itself. But if anyone regards something as unclean, then for him it is unclean. If your brother is distressed because of what you eat, you are no longer acting in love. Do not by your eating destroy your brother for whom Christ died. Do not allow what you consider good to be spoken of as evil. For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit, because anyone who serves Christ in this way is pleasing to God and approved by men.

Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification. Do not destroy the work of God for the sake of food. All food is clean, but it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble. It is better not to eat meat or drink wine or to do anything else that will cause your brother to fall.

(Ro 14:14-21)

Jesus himself performed His first miracle at the wedding in Cana of Galilee, and this miracle involved wine

On a purely interesting note, I became aware a few years ago that beer was actually once considered a very Christian business! Apparently it was once seen as only mildly alchoholic compared with the stronger spirits which were being drunk, and so it was hoped that its use would decrease drunkeness in society.

Due to that, several brewing houses were owned by Christians. Its my understanding that All Nations Christian College in England (the premier missionary training centre for that area and much of Europe) was founded in part by a beer brewing magnate. The Guinness family which gave us Os Guinness and other missionaries, also founded the Guinness brewery which produces that famous Irish stout, and this brewery has also had a long history of support for Christian missions and causes to my understanding.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Hi ncn...welcome to Worthy. Just a quick point...there was never any such place as Palestine when Jesus lived...despite Bible commentaries, foot-notes and poor biblical maps that keep repeating this elementary error. Botz

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I would suggest looking up the word 'wine' in a Bible concordance. As there are different contexts of it, and it's important to understand how each context applies to the Scriptures. Be led by the Holy Spirit in everything. Ask the Lord to reveal to you how He feels about this. It's always good to repent first before asking, and then He will reveal it to you. I do know that John the Baptist was not allowed to drink alcohol because He was a Nazarite (he had to abstain from drink for the purposes of God, what he was called to do by Him). Some other Scriptures that you may want to look at are: Prov. 20:1; 21:17; 30:29-30. Pray about it and do a study on wine. I believe you will get your answer.

• Topic Count:  373
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,331
  • Content Per Day:  0.59
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  12/24/1965

After much thought, I believe I'll have another beer.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

After much thought, I believe I'll have another beer.

I think I will join you, cheers.oldman-1-1.jpg