• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

Jesus called money unrighteous.

Luk 16:11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true [riches]?

Money is a necessary evil in a fallen world. I won't argue with Jesus.

I think we can agree the context of this passage, like any other verse in Scripture, is important.

Here's the passage in context...

Luke 16:1-13

The Parable of the Unjust Steward

1 He also said to His disciples: “There was a certain rich man who had a steward, and an accusation was brought to him that this man was wasting his goods. 2 So he called him and said to him, ‘What is this I hear about you? Give an account of your stewardship, for you can no longer be steward.’

3 “Then the steward said within himself, ‘What shall I do? For my master is taking the stewardship away from me. I cannot dig; I am ashamed to beg. 4 I have resolved what to do, that when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.’

5 “So he called every one of his master’s debtors to him, and said to the first, ‘How much do you owe my master?’6 And he said, ‘A hundred measures[a] of oil.’ So he said to him, ‘Take your bill, and sit down quickly and write fifty.’ 7 Then he said to another, ‘And how much do you owe?’ So he said, ‘A hundred measures[b] of wheat.’ And he said to him, ‘Take your bill, and write eighty.’ 8 So the master commended the unjust steward because he had dealt shrewdly. For the sons of this world are more shrewd in their generation than the sons of light.

9 “And I say to you, make friends for yourselves by unrighteous mammon, that when you fail,[c] they may receive you into an everlasting home. 10He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust inwhat is least is unjust also in much. 11 Therefore if you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches? 12 And if you have not been faithful in what is another man’s, who will give you what is your own?

13 “No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.”

So the context of this passage is addressing a steward who didn't manage his master's possessions well. (verses 1-4)

Then the guy became shrewd in collecting the debts owed his master. (verses 5-7)

The master was impressed and Jesus showed how people of this world are shrewd business dealers. (verse 8)

However, we come to the crux of the matter... The focus of this passage is verse 10. Which verse 11 must be read in the context of verse 10 and 12 to be understood.

A person who is faithful in little responsibility is also faithful in a lot of responsibility. The same is true for those who unfaithful with a little will also be unfaithful with much. (verse 10)

Whenever there's a "therefore" (also can be read as "because) in Scripture it's important understand what it's there for. :)

If God cannot trust a man with a little why would He trust a man with a whole lot? (verse 11)

If we cannot be trusted with another person's riches why would God bless us with our own success/wealth (which we know it is natural to take better care of what is ours than what is someone else's...) ? (verse 12)

So in conclusion I'm sorry but I'll have to respectfully disagree with how this verse 11 was used to say that Jesus called money unrighteousness brother.

God bless,

GE

Who said anything about forgetting God's promises?

Eagle we have only One Life to examine to show us perfection and how to live.... all else (lives) are to be imitators of that life!

He clearly said what would occur in the last days ... which we all agree- we are there! I watch the love for Him (Jesus) grow cold in His Children as they watch prime time and jokes are made of beastiality.... we have become numb to the Sodom that knocks on our doors and the subtly of riches that whisper I will take care of you so you will not suffer... You do realize the only promise here is to be one of suffering as we deliver the hated message of Christ's Love and the need to die to ones self... or do you believe all around is status quo and to relax and live as all else?

Ps 17:13-15

13 Arise, O Lord,

Confront him, cast him down;

Deliver my life from the wicked with Your sword,

14 With Your hand from men, O Lord,

From men of the world who have their portion in this life,

And whose belly You fill with Your hidden treasure.

They are satisfied with children,

And leave the rest of their possession for their babes.

15 As for me, I will see Your face in righteousness;

I shall be satisfied when I awake in Your likeness.

NKJV

Love, Steven

I’m sorry brother what does watching tv, jokes, etc have to do with what we’re discussing?

We’re trying to determine if money is itself evil or, if like other things such as a computer, it can be used for good or evil. A person can be successful and godly. A person can be successful and not follow the Lord. Both are options...

I would say there are several categories people can find themselves in...

Rich spiritually and rich financially (or A, B)

Rich spiritually but poor financially (or A, C)

Poor spiritually and poor financially (or D, B)

Poor spiritually and rich financially (or D, E)

It is possible to be in one or more of these categories throughout our lives.

I don’t disagree there is suffering in this life. However, because we aren’t good stewards of what God has given us is not an excuse to cry foul and say “Oh hey look I’m suffering for Christ!” when we don’t have enough to care for our own basic needs of food, shelter, clothing, and transportation.

God bless,

GE

If money was evil, the Lord wouldn't give us a commandment that required us to sin in order to fulfill it.

If money was evil, the Lord wouldn't give us a commandment that required us to sin in order to fulfill it.

Possible to get a Scripture reference brother? :)

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

A person who is faithful in little responsibility is also faithful in a lot of responsibility. The same is true for those who unfaithful with a little will also be unfaithful with much. (verse 10)

Exactly. Why would the master praise the faithful worker for increasing his (the master's) money if money were evil?

Matthew 22

21 They said to Him, “Caesar’s.”

And He said to them, “Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”

Romans 13

7 Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

Matthew 22

21 They said to Him, “Caesar’s.”

And He said to them, “Render therefore to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s, and to God the things that are God’s.”

Romans 13

7 Render therefore to all their due: taxes to whom taxes are due, customs to whom customs, fear to whom fear, honor to whom honor.

:thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,171
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Question: From a spiritual perspective is winning (being successful) with money wrong?

Money is designed, in the system it is in, to demand from you focus, energy, influence, time... perhaps life force

is seen in this as we are heavily influenced by our beginning- a beginning so readily influenced by sin that we cannot

be sure clean from dirty... but one thing I know in this-> that what we serve is that which give ourselves to!

Lk 16:13

13 "No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other,

or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon."

NKJV

I find it very disconcerting that we are at the highest point of wickedness in our world as last of days and yet the major

acceptance of system from which money is given we know will demand a mark upon which we dedicate our being to its

control of life and ways leaving God completely out of finance and control... their god will be their bellies!

God warns us that the way is broad and many go therein to destruction... God also warns us of our weakness to stand

in our own understanding and strength.... therefore to keep oneself aloof from riches is wise in my opinion! Love, Steven

Interesting perspective brother. :)

I know of a millionaire that has a yard business at a church I was a member of. He's grown the business over the years to the point where he doesn't need to work. Yet he still works 10-15 hours a day during the week (sometimes on the weekends too), knows his customers by name, loves working with his hands, is joyful in telling others about the love of Jesus, and God has used him to be generous to people throughout the years. This man's generosity has included numerous donations to missions, help to brothers and sisters in Christ who were in need, and generous giving to outreaches for those in need who are also not Believers.

I wonder would you consider this generous man of God to be wicked? Should this man simply have given away all he had and never provided for his family? Curious as to your thoughts.

God bless,

GE

You seem to be at quite ease with this world as though it is benign from moral influence... curious as you put it :)

There are many rich who give out of their excess never knowing this below but quite self assured of their goodness!

Mk 12:42-44

42 Then one poor widow came and threw in two mites, which make a quadrans. 43 So He called His disciples to Himself

and said to them, "Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury;

44 for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood."

NKJV

You tell me from your question above -who did God recognize that day in giving? Was it based on amount or sacrifice?

As to your family question I remind you of the widow of Elijah's day-

1 Ki 17:12-14

12 So she said, "As the Lord your God lives, I do not have bread, only a handful of flour in a bin, and a little oil in a jar;

and see, I am gathering a couple of sticks that I may go in and prepare it for myself and my son, that we may eat it, and die."

13 And Elijah said to her, "Do not fear; go and do as you have said, but make me a small cake from it first, and bring it to me;

and afterward make some for yourself and your son. 14 For thus says the Lord God of Israel: 'The bin of flour shall not be

used up, nor shall the jar of oil run dry, until the day the Lord sends rain on the earth.'"

NKJV

This widow knew this was her and her son's last meal and saw no provision in the future but death... yet God's man asked her

to give him first (a stranger) and not her or the son... curious indeed! What would you have done in this situation according to what is

formed within you as to providing for your family?

Love, Steven

GoldenEagle: A person who is faithful in little responsibility is also faithful in a lot of responsibility. The same is true for those who unfaithful with a little will also be unfaithful with much. (verse 10)

Exactly. Why would the master praise the faithful worker for increasing his (the master's) money if money were evil?

Tinky you need to evaluate this within this mix

1 Co 7:29-31

29 But this I say, brethren, the time is short, so that from now on even those who have wives should be as though

they had none, 30 those who weep as though they did not weep, those who rejoice as though they did not rejoice,

those who buy as though they did not possess, 31 and those who use this world as not misusing it. For the form

of this world is passing away.

NKJV

How much shorter now the time from when this was first penned... it is why God tells us not to love this place!

Love, Steven

Jesus lived apart from it in unique ways.... perhaps we are just unwilling to bring that much discomfort and suffering to ourselves?

I wonder how useful we'd be in the Kingdom of God if we all had no homes and just roamed from town to town. Curious.

Well how did Jesus and the Disciples and Paul do?

Ac 17:6-7

6 But when they did not find them, they dragged Jason and some brethren to the rulers of the city, crying out,

"These who have turned the world upside down have come here too.

NKJV

Love, Steven