• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  82
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,762
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/24/1964

It breaks my heart to hear Christian people say to someone who is suffering from Depression, Anxiety, or any other mental disorder" Just to pray through it." Yes it is always good to pray and God can and does heal all the time; however there many and varied forms of healing. Always pray and always seek medical attention.

Most of all brain disorders are caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. so when you tell these people to just pray through it is like saying to a paralized person in a wheel chair, "Just to get up and go get something themselves." These people can't walk and people who suffer with mental disorders need medical atttention just like someone with diabetes or cancer or heart problems or any other medical problem. So yes we should pray that they find the right Doctors and medicines and pray for their families who are very stressed out.

Come on people we are not in the dark ages anymore. I know we all mean well. but sometimes we are just not qualified. The National Institute of Mental Illness is a good start for anyone seeking help. I am praying for us all.

May God Bless you all in Christ love

Edited by alien224

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.41
  • Days Won:  4

The woman who touched the hem of Jesus' garment had been seeking help for many years, before she was healed.

It seems strange that someone here would tell you to just pray through it.

By all means get the attention you need.

• Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

Mental illness requires prayer, therapy and oftentimes medication. God gave us these things for a reason.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Though I don't disagree with what you posted, I will share my experience.

In the 70's I was diagnosed with manic-depression, known as bi-polar these days. The gave me drugs that made me pass out and drool all over myself. After a couple of months of this, they gave me other drugs that required me to stay out of the sun. Then they gave me another drug that made me feel even worst then I did when I was depressed. I stopped using all medical medications and went back to self medication. Skip ahead 20 years. I tried to stay off drugs, and became depressed again. Upon more tests, they also labeled me with ADHD. Now, not only did they give me drugs to stop the depression, they gave me drugs to curve the ADHD. I felt like a goof ball, bouncing from one state to another. Needless to say, neither worked, so back to self medication again. Jump ahead 10 years. One day, while I was on the deck smoking my self medication, God impressed on me to turn back to Him completely, and give up pot. I had gone back to church again after many year out, but He wanted a closer relationship. Willing to accept His call, I asked Him to help me not desire to get high anymore to relieve the unnatural feelings I had been feeling for so many years. Not only did He remove the desire to get high, I no longer have the bi-polar feelings or the ADHD symptoms.

To me, prayer with a surrendered heart is far better then mans diagnosis and medication, though, as I said, they have their part until you are ready to trust God completely.

• 6 months later...

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  08/18/1979

This touches on a difficult and painful part of my life.

If you have read my testimony, then you have read that I was/am a depressive with strong suicidal tendencies, and have been for many years (19 and counting). unfortunately (and again this is on show in my testimony) I am to dumb and stubborn to see a mental health professional. This has lead to many a time where I have tasted/felt death when i should not have (they are images/feelings/tastes that I will never forget).

Thankfully I have God in my life, all the times I have desired death that much that I have held a barrel of a gun in my mouth, held a knife against the veins and arteries in my arms, felt that rope tightening around my neck. God has managed to give me something to stand on (metaphorically and physically).

I cannot understand it all, and I still have not seen a mental health professional (to my shame, i am still too stubborn), but I can tell you that by surrendering myself to God in those darkest of times, that God has slowly lifted me up to a place where death no longer has such a deep hold on me, a place where my "normal" is a place where most people would only be sad, and the number of days where I want to kill myself has dropped drastically.

I would urge all people who feel the call of death to see a reputable mental health professional, now if only I could convince myself of that..............................

• Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

This touches on a difficult and painful part of my life.

If you have read my testimony, then you have read that I was/am a depressive with strong suicidal tendencies, and have been for many years (19 and counting). unfortunately (and again this is on show in my testimony) I am to dumb and stubborn to see a mental health professional. This has lead to many a time where I have tasted/felt death when i should not have (they are images/feelings/tastes that I will never forget).

Thankfully I have God in my life, all the times I have desired death that much that I have held a barrel of a gun in my mouth, held a knife against the veins and arteries in my arms, felt that rope tightening around my neck. God has managed to give me something to stand on (metaphorically and physically).

I cannot understand it all, and I still have not seen a mental health professional (to my shame, i am still too stubborn), but I can tell you that by surrendering myself to God in those darkest of times, that God has slowly lifted me up to a place where death no longer has such a deep hold on me, a place where my "normal" is a place where most people would only be sad, and the number of days where I want to kill myself has dropped drastically.

I would urge all people who feel the call of death to see a reputable mental health professional, now if only I could convince myself of that..............................

36_18_1-Copy.gif

Well maybe you just need a kick in the butt! By the way, if you feel this way, why on earth would you want to remind yourself everytime you come to this site. The choice of your {handle or sign in name} shows what you think of your self. YOU are NOT Invisible in the eyes of the Lord, for God counts every hair on your head. :wub: :wub: :wub:

ICL~~~Dennis

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  775
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  11/12/1987

It breaks my heart to hear Christian people say to someone who is suffering from Depression, Anxiety, or any other mental disorder" Just to pray through it." Yes it is always good to pray and God can and does heal all the time; however there many and varied forms of healing. Always pray and always seek medical attention.

Most of all brain disorders are caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain. so when you tell these people to just pray through it is like saying to a paralized person in a wheel chair, "Just to get up and go get something themselves." These people can't walk and people who suffer with mental disorders need medical atttention just like someone with diabetes or cancer or heart problems or any other medical problem. So yes we should pray that they find the right Doctors and medicines and pray for their families who are very stressed out.

Come on people we are not in the dark ages anymore. I know we all mean well. but sometimes we are just not qualified. The National Institute of Mental Illness is a good start for anyone seeking help. I am praying for us all.

I agree whole-heartedly with you alien. It's a real problem in thinking that I've seen often in the chat room- on the boards too. It's not (for most) as simple as "surrendering" to Jesus or trusting god or any of that. It infuriates me when people minimize our mental disorders as if they are a choice- as if they are just something we can suck up and get over. I get enough of that from my family I definitely don't need it from my internet family too.

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  32
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Birthday:  08/18/1979

I agree whole-heartedly with you alien. It's a real problem in thinking that I've seen often in the chat room- on the boards too. It's not (for most) as simple as "surrendering" to Jesus or trusting god or any of that. It infuriates me when people minimize our mental disorders as if they are a choice- as if they are just something we can suck up and get over. I get enough of that from my family I definitely don't need it from my internet family too.

I am sorry if I came across as saying that surrendering to Jesus is the only solution needed, it is not. I have managed it, but it has cost me in terms of blood, sweat and tears and I am still nowhere near to being "normal".

I will say that surrendering to Jesus is a good start though, the love, and faith, I feel from God is a steady rock which helps me go on. It allows me to Know that I am not alone.

I will still urge people to get the help they need though, but pair it WITH faith and prayer, for I feel that is more effective than just drugs alone.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now Oldshep :D

I have had this conversation a few times with people, and I truely understand how you can see that I am putting myself down with my chat handle. The truth is a little different though to what is seen.

I know who I am. I am prideful, stubborn, stiff necked and rebellious, and so my name invisible is not because I want to hide. It is instead a reflection of what I want to become, I desire to do the will of God so much that when people see me, they say "There goes a man who follows God's heart". I desire to become invisible within the love of God so that when people see, and speak to me they do not see the prideful, rebellious person I am/was, but instead they see and feel the power of God's love moving through me.

Still have a long road to travel. :D

Edited by Invisible

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  775
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  11/12/1987

oh invisible, my post wasn't directed at you per say. Just people that say that in general. Wasn't singling any one out.

Glad to see you posting already invisible :bighug2: