• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  378
  • Content Per Day:  0.06
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/18/1965

"And it's an alarming issue for Christians because the Bible warns against eating food previously dedicated to idols."

"The allah of islam is not the God we worship. Allah of islam is a false god. That is why it is a big deal."

---

To help the discussion;

Allah is not a personal name, but rather the arabic word for God. Absolutely the Muslim understanding of God is different than the Christian one, but as Jigger notes, "Arab christians and even a jew that speaks arabic wld say Allah. The same as a spanish person would call God, Dios or a french person would call God, Deu."

The question is, if a person's understanding of God is different than the Biblical one, is their using of the title 'Allah' thus an appeal to 'other gods'?

The form of the prayer said in the Halal ceremony is;

"In the name of Allah" (though some may add "...the Beneficent the Merciful". This addition is seen as wrong by many Muslims, but in conversation with the son of a person who conducts the Halal ceremony, I was told that this is what his father says.)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  144
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  4,512
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Days Won:  10
  • Birthday:  10/07/1979

The Christian and Jewish God has a name, it is YHVH in its abbreviation. Ours demands more than merely a general term for His name. That's why we are to call on God by His name.

Just to be pedantic whistling.gif, YHVH is not an abbreviation, it is the name of God, and we flesh it out by adding vowels in order to pronounce it. But it isn't short for anything, that is the whole name of God.

I thought His name was something like 30 syllables long. Moses was able to prove that he was a Prophet by speaking His Name.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

The Orthodox in Iraq call God Al-Yah in Assyrian. That is different from Allah the Moon God.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  598
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,132
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

The Orthodox in Iraq call God Al-Yah in Assyrian. That is different from Allah the Moon God.

Hummmmm...... I didn't know that. Interesting, it is.

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

The question is, if a person's understanding of God is different than the Biblical one, is their using of the title 'Allah' thus an appeal to 'other gods'?

Yes. It is an appeal to other gods.

I'm glad you have certainty in your convictions on this Ayin Jade.

Might I ask, what is the source of that certainty?

Are there any scriptural passages that support it?

• Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

When the god they pray to has attributes completely different than our Lord, then they are praying to another god. As for scriptural passages ... there are many in the bible that speak of how wrong the worship of false gods is.

In post 21 in this thread, I posted a comparison of the difference between the allah of islam and our Lord. There is a clear and distinct difference.

When the god they pray to has attributes completely different than our Lord, then they are praying to another god. As for scriptural passages ... there are many in the bible that speak of how wrong the worship of false gods is.

In post 21 in this thread, I posted a comparison of the difference between the allah of islam and our Lord. There is a clear and distinct difference.

You note that Allah has attributes 'completely different' from the Biblical God, and therefor must be 'another' and false god.

Looking over your list of attributes (from post #21) though, I think some of your points are incorrect. What sources are you using for these attributes? I certainly agree that Muslim understanding of God, especially in respect to Jesus, is incompatible with the Bible, but in speaking with Muslims (mainly Sunni, and usually of the al Hannifi school) several of your points seem to not match with what they believe. Specifically, points #1, 2, 7 (in terms of the hate).

Many people who call themselves 'christians' would also say that God does not have many of these attributes (which would be clear rejection of Biblical teaching of course), but we would not say that they should not call their diety 'God'. Instead, we would seek to teach them what is true about God.

My undestanding of the word 'God' and the word 'Allah' is that they are not proper names, but rather titles. Each refers not to a specific individual (ie Bob), but rather is the only title for the One unique being who created all things (ie 'mankind' if we're staying with the Bob metaphor).

To say that Muslim understanding of Allah is not the same as Biblical Christian understanding of God is absolutely correct. But think on this... if I used any other title for YHWH in English other than God, what would it be? Would it add or detract from His glory to use any other word? We could use words from other languages certainly, but in English, is there any other word that would adequetely represent YHWH?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  844
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  11

You note that Allah has attributes 'completely different' from the Biblical God, and therefor must be 'another' and false god.

Looking over your list of attributes (from post #21) though, I think some of your points are incorrect. What sources are you using for these attributes? I certainly agree that Muslim understanding of God, especially in respect to Jesus, is incompatible with the Bible, but in speaking with Muslims (mainly Sunni, and usually of the al Hannifi school) several of your points seem to not match with what they believe. Specifically, points #1, 2, 7 (in terms of the hate).

Many people who call themselves 'christians' would also say that God does not have many of these attributes (which would be clear rejection of Biblical teaching of course), but we would not say that they should not call their diety 'God'. Instead, we would seek to teach them what is true about God.

My undestanding of the word 'God' and the word 'Allah' is that they are not proper names, but rather titles. Each refers not to a specific individual (ie Bob), but rather is the only title for the One unique being who created all things (ie 'mankind' if we're staying with the Bob metaphor).

To say that Muslim understanding of Allah is not the same as Biblical Christian understanding of God is absolutely correct. But think on this... if I used any other title for YHWH in English other than God, what would it be? Would it add or detract from His glory to use any other word? We could use words from other languages certainly, but in English, is there any other word that would adequetely represent YHWH?

Hi Dragoon,

I'd say that we know that it's an appeal to another god because the Quarn says "Allah has not taken any son" (Surah 23:91), whereas the Bible says "whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also" (1 John 2:23).

If one doesn't acknowledge the Son, they're fundamentally incapable of acknowledging, or even knowing, the Father, "no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him" (Matt. 11:27).

Now, I wouldn't have a problem eating Hallal foods because the Bible says "So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one... But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do" (1 Cor. 8: 2-8), as long as no one around was going to stumble.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Well Allah is taken from the ancient moon god worship

http://www.biblebelievers.org.au/moongod.htm

And Allah was the name of Said moon God. So its not even a term like "God" its the direct name of the Moon God who was worshiped coincidentaly in the same region that Mohammad grew up.