• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  913
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  12/02/1969

Someone asked on FaceBook, and I thought to repost here to get your opinions,

Everyone has their preference of Bible Translations, and we know that pastors from the past has published Bibles with their own commentaries in it, do you use one and if you do which one and why, if not why?

My answer is I have had them in the past but I dont care for them, because I find them biased according to each individuals denomination. And while I am not opposed to learning from others or being corrected I dont want man's opinion on what certain passages mean.

What say you?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I do not own one. For me to understand how another views scripture is not as important to me as how He guides me in my studies by His Spirit. If I have a question to the meaning of a word, or how it is used in the context, I look at the Greek or Hebrew dictionaries to find the answer with His guidance.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

If you want to dig into a passage, it is useful to glean what others have to say about it. Sometimes they offer good insights.

But like anything, take them with a grain of salt.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

Esword.com has a downloadable program that has many many study facets to it, incuding different translations, commentaries, etc. I haven't spent the time on it yet to figure it all out, but the download is free and is an amazing study tool

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  1,973
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Birthday:  11/13/1953

Everyone has their preference of Bible Translations, and we know that pastors from the past has published Bibles with their own commentaries in it, do you use one and if you do which one and why, if not why?

My answer is I have had them in the past but I dont care for them, because I find them biased according to each individuals denomination. And while I am not opposed to learning from others or being corrected I dont want man's opinion on what certain passages mean.

What say you?

I dislike any kind of bible commentary be it with or without a bible. Because bible commentaries are mostly based on a persons opinion more then the facts as recorded in the bible. Look at this web site as an example. How many folks here have basedf an opinion or interpretation that was not based on all of the scriptural facts? Not long ago I read a post about an opinion that was based on only half of a verse. I have seen commentaries that say that the person on the white horse Rev. 6:2 was the antichrist and another commentary that say he was Christ. Commentaries are unreliable

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Content Count:  934
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  02/12/1950

What say you?

Hi, my name is Dennis, for the most part I use the King James Bible, from 1611 and the new NIV Bible. I unlike the poster before me do use commentaries, mostly for referance and gaining knowledge of how others seen things, since I DO NO read Greek or Hebrew. Most of the time I use the The Bible Knowledge Commentary. The teaching tool used by the Dallas Seminary Faculty. I also use a few others. {Albert Barnes' Notes on the BibleAlbert Barnes (1798-1870)} {John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible, Dr. John Gill (1690-1771)}

Plus { International Standard Bible Encyclopedia} {Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary of American English} and Strong’s Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries

For I have never met any one that I can not learn something from. The Holy Spirit works through all those that have acceapted Christ as their Lord.

May the Grace of God be with you.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,357
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

What say you?

Eph 4:11-15

11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ, 13 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ; 14 that we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, 15 but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head — Christ —

NKJV

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  6
  • Content Count:  78
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Birthday:  12/12/1978

I use multiple commentaries for the purpose of understanding other views. But I do choose to stay as close to the orignal greek/hebrew as I can. A cultural background commentary is something I have found quite useful.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

What say you?

Hi, my name is Dennis, for the most part I use the King James Bible, from 1611 and the new NIV Bible. I unlike the poster before me do use commentaries, mostly for referance and gaining knowledge of how others seen things, since I DO NO read Greek or Hebrew. Most of the time I use the The Bible Knowledge Commentary. The teaching tool used by the Dallas Seminary Faculty. I also use a few others. {Albert Barnes' Notes on the BibleAlbert Barnes (1798-1870)} {John Gill's Exposition of the Entire Bible, Dr. John Gill (1690-1771)}

Plus { International Standard Bible Encyclopedia} {Noah Webster's 1828 Dictionary of American English} and Strong’s Hebrew and Greek Dictionaries

For I have never met any one that I can not learn something from. The Holy Spirit works through all those that have accepted Christ as their Lord.

May the Grace of God be with you.

I thoroughly agree with Dennis. I think everyone is aware that commentaries reflect the understanding of their author and might have certain strong/soft leanings. Why throw the baby out with the bath-water, when the collective wisdom that is often available in their pages can aid in ones own understanding of Scripture and walk with the L-rd. I find some of my dear brethren are rather pedantic about this...it is not sign of spirituality that one relies solely on Scripture, although some seem to come across that way from time to time. Praise G-d for faithful brethren who penned their thoughts and understanding into commentary form in order to bless the Body.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

I can only speak for myself when I say I don't have time to review what others think with my busy schedule, and though I never tried to be more spiritual then any other, I have to depend on His leading me by His Spirit when I do study. Mind you, I don't disregard others teachings, and when I find myself scratching my head for too long, I do venture to others understandings, but that is rare. God is faithful to fulfill His word when He tells us that He gives us His understanding and I stand on this.