• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

2012: Killer Solar Flares Are a Physical Impossibility, Experts Say

ScienceDaily (Nov. 11, 2011) — Given a legitimate need to protect Earth from the most intense forms of space weather -- great bursts of electromagnetic energy and particles that can sometimes stream from the sun -- some people worry that a gigantic "killer solar flare" could hurl enough energy to destroy Earth. Citing the accurate fact that solar activity is currently ramping up in its standard 11-year cycle, there are those who believe that 2012 could be coincident with such a flare.

But this same solar cycle has occurred over millennia. Anyone over the age of 11 has already lived through such a solar maximum with no harm. In addition, the next solar maximum is predicted to occur in late 2013 or early 2014, not 2012.

Most importantly, however, there simply isn't enough energy in the sun to send a killer fireball 93 million miles to destroy Earth.

Read the rest

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

In general, I agree, but the 4th bowl tells me that there will be a day when this no longer is true.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

From my understanding, an unlucky hit by a solar flare could do great damage to our aged and over-burdened power grid.

Considering how dependent modern civilization is on technology, this would certainly cause widespread chaos.

I'm not staying up nights worrying about this, mind you. God's in control.

Blessings!

-Ed

In general, I agree, but the 4th bowl tells me that there will be a day when this no longer is true.

True, but the 4th bowl sounds like God turns the sun up a notch or two, not just a solar flare . . .

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

True, but the 4th bowl sounds like God turns the sun up a notch or two, not just a solar flare . . .

Or He took away the protective ozone layer? I wonder what is truly meant by the 6th seal in Revelation 6?

Or He took away the protective ozone layer? I wonder what is truly meant by the 6th seal in Revelation 6?

I don't know for certain, but I really don't wanna be around to find out . . . :laugh:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  907
  • Topics Per Day:  0.19
  • Content Count:  9,650
  • Content Per Day:  2.02
  • Days Won:  9

I'd be interested to see a comparison of electric usage in America today as opposed to 1965.

We could SO turn this economy around if we used as our monetary standard the betterment of the environment, the infrastructure, and the weaning off fossil fuels to solar, wind, and hydrogen power. I used to drive limousines. I drove men who now head corporations who used to build desalination plants in Saudi. They claim it is not hard or expensive and could operate offshore. Ahhh but I am dreaming again. We will never be let off the hook of the good ol' boy network.

Oh, and about this 2012 end of the world business... this was either a stopping point because they ran out of rocks to chisel, or the artisan died at that point, or a war broke out and they never got back to it, or they just figured making out a calendar some 5000 years in advance was enough. End of the world? Who told them? What is the proof?

If we used half the skeptical arguments aimed at the Bible at this and Nostradamus, and financial advisers and politicians and the media... we'd be shaking our heads at what fools they were and even more so those they lead around by the nose.

And the Bible has fared well through all arguments of skepticism btw.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Jesus tells us not to worry about tomorrow (the future) in Matthew 6:34 NKJV.

Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.

We must have faith and strive to do God's will today, we must also have faith that God will take care of tomorrow. :)

Hmm . . . no killer solar flares. :blink: Where's the fun in that? :whistling:

Ya just can't have an EOTWAWKI (end of the world as we know it) party anymore . . . :laugh:

God is still sovereign . . . so His plans will still go ahead. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  415
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  02/02/1945

2012: Killer Solar Flares Are a Physical Impossibility, Experts Say

ScienceDaily (Nov. 11, 2011) — Given a legitimate need to protect Earth from the most intense forms of space weather -- great bursts of electromagnetic energy and particles that can sometimes stream from the sun -- some people worry that a gigantic "killer solar flare" could hurl enough energy to destroy Earth. Citing the accurate fact that solar activity is currently ramping up in its standard 11-year cycle, there are those who believe that 2012 could be coincident with such a flare.

But this same solar cycle has occurred over millennia. Anyone over the age of 11 has already lived through such a solar maximum with no harm. In addition, the next solar maximum is predicted to occur in late 2013 or early 2014, not 2012.

Most importantly, however, there simply isn't enough energy in the sun to send a killer fireball 93 million miles to destroy Earth.

Read the rest

Very interesting article. Was very glad to find their website and make it a favorite. Love all space / science websites.