GlidingWings

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  169
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  345
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  4

When a person studies the Bible they have a certain way of doing it. While one way works for one person it may not work for the next person. So each has an individual preference how they study the Bible the best way they can learn it.

In my approach I am right now trying to study 3 different books in the Bible a few verses at a time in each chapter. I like to read and try to memorize as much as I can of each chapter to stay in my head. This is very important part of my study because I am blind. I can’t always run to the scripture I want to but if I know it in my head somewhat it is easier to find that verse.

Since I study by chapter my interest is to try to understand the bible in a context view how the chapters fit together. Or how groups of verses within a chapter fit together to try to as much as possible to get the correct interpretation of the verses. Some people like to jump around the bible from verse to verse. In some of those cases new religions have been born with that kind of approach. Just as the birth of the pre trib rapture is not of context it is made up of jumping around in the bible to make a pre trib belief system. In context it is not viewed that way.

I have some books at home that have some commentaries. But sometimes the books I have are not complete to explain what the context of the groups of verses is about. Sometimes the commentaries go a bit off track into other verses of the Bible. Sometimes it helps me to stay on course and other times it takes me off the context. Well I not only want to understand the context but I also want to understand every verse in those verses.

Yet I know there is not one person who understands the meaning of every verse and chapter in the bible. Only God Himself knows all the answers. But ….

I want to ask if anyone around here knows either some good books or knows some good web sites that are best for studying in a context approach chapter by chapter through the bible. And also commentaries that can try to explain as many verses as it can within each group of verses that fit together. For example I might want to understand the summary of Psalms chapter 1. What is the whole meaning of this Psalm? Secondly what is the meaning of each verse in this chapter? What does verse one mean? What does verse 2 mean so on and so on. Sometimes I understand verses. Other times I don’t understand them. I believe that the gifts of God are dispersed in several directions. God gives everyone a gift to understand the Lord. So I don’t claim that I know the bible just because I have read it. But it is good to have someone who is much more experienced with the Bible at whole. Kind of like having at home tutors of bible help.

Unfortunately sometimes forum discussions get all of us kind of in a little quagmire of contrast views on parts of the Bible. For that reason sometimes we are going in circles. But when we have books at home or web sites even if we don’t agree with those books or web sites we won’t need to go in circles with them.

So can others please recommend for me either the best book or books for context Bible study method along with trying to understand every verse as possible or by what authors or what Pastors? Or what web sites would you recommend for these context studies. If anyone knows of Books or authors pastors or Websites Bible studies in context please let me know by either answering here in this post or you can also send me a message in my pm if you don’t prefer to post it here. Thanks for any help anyone can give. I greatly appreciate it.

Your Friend BTC

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,491
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/02/1971

Hey, i agree with what you are asking, i too, have been trying to dig in to the Word and need some help, it would be nice to have a place that explains the whole chapter and then breaks it down, but when thinking about it, does it not give us reason to assemble together and read, discuss, and fellowship? do you currently have a group bible study session? I think, as much as possible, that may be what God wants us to do with His word, not only learn it but fellowship with believers. I am just starting out here so you feedback is welcome!

:emot-handshake:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Theres a website, its Messianic, but it has a huge FAQ data base and gives answers to many questions about the 'harder' verses, he also is in the process of writing commentaries on all the books of the bible. I like the guy a lot he takes an even approach and tries hard not to do anything but bring the meanings forward. You can find it here.

shalom,

Mizz

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  426
  • Topics Per Day:  0.07
  • Content Count:  3,633
  • Content Per Day:  0.58
  • Days Won:  13
  • Birthday:  08/26/1978

Also I posted this to help with that very issue awhile ago.

Louis Goldberg, was a messianic jewish professor of theology at Moody. He oversaw the OT part of the NIV translation and did a fabulous job. He also wrote quite a few commentaries that I would highly recommend, especially on Leviticus and Deuteronomy.

If you are really ambitious, read "The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah" by Ralf Edersheim That would be the quickest way. There are lots of us on the boards who have studied these things whom you can ask specific questions, but it's impossible to download 20+ years of research in a few posts.

Shiloh357 has written quite a few threads on this subject matter and is probably someone whom you might check out in the archives for a lonnnng time.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

Try the inductive Bible study method.

Here's a great book to get you Started;

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Book-Science-Reading-Bible/dp/0802408230/ref=dp_ob_title_bk/191-2822778-8262230