• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

and if you get the chance ask Jesus if he's happy about you buying gifts for everyone but him, and don't forget to make a fuss over that tree. When you light your yule time log, as Him if he like the flames and how the smoke rises up the chemney.... but especially ask him if he minds celebrating his birthday on someone Else's special day.... Do some serious praying about it and see what answers you get.

I thought I'd ask Him what He things about our Christmas celebrations.

I can't say I was expecting to 'hear" an answer; I don't seem to be able to hear from Him so well as some others I know.

But surprisingly, a thought mixed with a feeling came to me,

"I just want to be remembered."

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Are there many who can say that they have not heard of our Lord after celebrating Christmas? I suppose with Christ being taken out of the word the answer could be yes but most everyone on earth has heard of Him at this time of the year tho' particularly with TV and the internet. It could be denied by many since Santa has taken some of the spotlight but still Christ's name is there in the name of the holiday.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  25
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

What is the Nicolaitan spirit or doctrine? Who are they?

(Revelation 2:6 & 15)

Nicolaitans: One of the heretical sects that plagued the churches at Ephesus and at Pergamum, and perhaps elsewhere. Irenaeus identifies the Nicolaitans as a Gnostic sect: “John, the disciple of the Lord, preaches this faith (the deity of Christ), and seeks, by the proclamation of the Gospel, to remove that error which by Cerinthus had been disseminated among men, and a long time previously by those termed Nicolaitans, who are an offset of that “knowledge” falsely so called, that he might confound them, and persuade them that there is but one God, who made all things by His Word” (see Irenaeus Against Heresies iii 11. 1; ANF vol. 1, p. 426) There is also historical evidence of a Gnostic sect called Nitolaitans a century or so later.

The doctrine of the Nicolaitans appears to have been a form of antinomianism. (Antinomianism: A belief that is based upon a recognition of the mercy of God as the ground of salvation, but it makes the fatal mistake that man can freely partake in sin because the Law of God is no longer binding. It held the truth on the gratuitous reckoning of righteousness; but supposed that a mere intellectual “belief” in this truth had a saving power. The Apostle James refuted this error in James 2:19 with the admonition, "The devils also believe, and tremble"; reminding us that true faith is an active principle which works by love and it goes beyond a profession of belief. "But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?" (James 2:20) The Bible teaches us that salvation is a free gift, based upon God's grace alone (Ephesians 2:8-9) However, the very next verse tells us that "we are created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:10) True faith produce action, as well as a desire for holiness and obedience. (1 John 3:18, Titus 2:11-15, 1 Peter 1:15-16, Revelation 14:12)

Nicolaitans of the 2nd century seem to have continued and extended the views of the 1st century adherents, holding to the freedom of the flesh and sin, and teaching that the deeds of the flesh had no effect upon the health of the soul and consequently no relation to salvation. On the other hand, the Bible teaches that Christians are supposed to "die" to sin and the deeds of our "flesh": "What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?" (Romans 6:1-2) "Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof. Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God." (Romans 6:11-13)

Today, the doctrine is now largely taught that the gospel of Christ has made God's law of no effect: that by “believing” we are released from the necessity of being doers of the Word. But this is the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which Christ so unsparingly condemned in the book of Revelation. "But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves." (James 1:22)

--Thanks to George Blumenschein for answering to this question!

http://www.wordoftruthradio.com/questions/38.html

Thanks, Lauri!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  65
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,066
  • Content Per Day:  0.16
  • Birthday:  02/02/1961

I read a most interesting article in Prophecy in the News and though Christ may have been born sometime in September? the Magoi who found Christ in a home would most likely have arrive about December 25 with their gifts. And, there would most certainly not have been the traditional 3 Magoi, who were very wealthy priests and knew the prophecy because of what they learned from the history of Daniel, but there would have been perhaps a retinue of hundreds with their military accompaniment guarding the gold, frankincense and myrrh. They were astrologers and knew the meaning of the birth of a Jewish king.Herod would then have most certainly been concerned that they and the child and their knowledge were a threat to him and his leadership and thus wanted the baby King killed and not being certain of what time the star first appeared hedged his bet by killing all males under the age of 2. A most interesting article - it also says that being Arabs they most certainly did not come on camels but on the horse - precursor of the current Arabian horse.

Messianic Jews and Hebrew Roots folks (Hebrewcostals, like I am, LOL) teach that Yeshua's birthday fell during the Feast of Tabernacles, which would put it at September/October. My congregations actually has a cake for Yeshua on the 2nd day of the Feast of Sukkot (Tabernacles, Booths). It is likely that your article could be correct with the Magi coming in around December 25, but they wouldn't be coming to a manger....by then Yosef, Miriam and Yeshua would be heading back to Netzerat (Nazareth).

a.

by then Yosef, Miriam and Yeshua would be heading back to Netzerat (Nazareth).

Mathew states they were in a house in Bethlehem. Apparently, Joseph and Mary decided to stay there, perhaps to guard her dignity.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  221
  • Content Per Day:  0.05

and if you get the chance ask Jesus if he's happy about you buying gifts for everyone but him, and don't forget to make a fuss over that tree. When you light your yule time log, as Him if he like the flames and how the smoke rises up the chemney.... but especially ask him if he minds celebrating his birthday on someone Else's special day.... Do some serious praying about it and see what answers you get.

I thought I'd ask Him what He things about our Christmas celebrations.

I can't say I was expecting to 'hear" an answer; I don't seem to be able to hear from Him so well as some others I know.

But surprisingly, a thought mixed with a feeling came to me,

"I just want to be remembered."

Aw, Nebula.

I don't feel "convicted" about celebrating Christmas either but I do emphasize we celebrate the fact that He was born for a purpose to be our Savior and Messiah. We give gifts because God gave the greatest gift which is Yeshua, His Beloved Son. That is what Christ-mas is all about: celebration of Christ's birth.

All the other "stuff" during Christmas is just that... "stuff". I don't even mind gifts or lack of gifts for myself.

A lot of the traditions come from Germany. There are other traditions that aren't celebrated widely in the U.S. when it comes to Christmas but you may see those in some Western European countries.

Just my 2 cents in.