GlidingWings

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  169
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  345
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  4

All studies show that smoking cigarettes is very harmful to your health.

I have not seen any study to prove that smoking a cigarette is helpful.

But many people say it helps them to stay calm. Smoking causes ling cancer, emphysema, heart disease, circulation problems and the list may go on.

My Mom died at the age of 49 as being a heavy smoker. Another friend of the family had his feet amputated from smoking. Another friend died because he smoked for years and another may die because of smoking.

But the surprising news is that many Christians say that drugs like cocaine and heroin are bad for people. And God doesn't want us to use drugs. But these Christians will say I however smoke cigarettes. It's not as bad as the hard drugs. God is fine with cigarette smoking.

So here is my question ...

In your opinion and of your Bible study how should a Christian view smoking cigarettes even in comparison to hard drugs?

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

But many people say it helps them to stay calm. Smoking causes ling cancer, emphysema, heart disease, circulation problems and the list may go on.

My Mom died at the age of 49 as being a heavy smoker. Another friend of the family had his feet amputated from smoking. Another friend died because he smoked for years and another may die because of smoking.

But the surprising news is that many Christians say that drugs like cocaine and heroin are bad for people. And God doesn't want us to use drugs. But these Christians will say I however smoke cigarettes. It's not as bad as the hard drugs. God is fine with cigarette smoking.

In your opinion and of your Bible study how should a Christian view smoking cigarettes even in comparison to hard drugs?

We do lots of things that are bad for us that we shouldn't do.

Laziness is an epidemic.

Eating junk food.

Not working out.

Smoking.

It would be hypocritical of us to point our finger at one and yet not the other.

Oh that wretched vice of sin within, please die!

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  684
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  2

I think smoking is doubly bad because not only are you deliberately harming your body, it is also being a bad witness.

Smoking is not in the same league with laziness, eating junk food, not working out. Smoking does rather permanent damage to yourself, while laziness, junk food and lack of exercise could be remedied.

The biggest issue I have against smokers is not only are they harming their own body, but often times harming other unwilling participants around them (not loving their neighbors). Another way smoker doesn't show love for their neighbor and family is they are deliberately harming their body depriving other if his/her presence, and force others to take care of the said person. How can you say you love your children and love ones if you die several years early precisely due to smoking. You would be depriving your children and love ones of the time you would be living had you not been smoking.

Also, I believe smoking damage your reproductive cell's DNA, which cause defects (visible or not) in your children if you choose to have one. In a sense, smoking is also like a curse on your children through your action. Children with parents who smoke tends to also smoke because their parent is their role model. Bible warn us about not letting others stumble, especially the little ones.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

When our beloved brother Paul began to speak on the topic of our body as the temple being for Christ, he chose to open with these words:

"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. 13 Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and them."

It speaks of allowing something that we put in our bodies to have power over us. I smoked for 26 years. It had power over me. One day I hacked up something green and disgusting and immediately asked God "Please, no more." and he obliged. I have not gone back to the slavery of cigarettes.

Gary

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

Warning: I say the following in my best sense of humor....hoping it translates. :blink:

We do lots of things that are bad for us that we shouldn't do.

Laziness is an epidemic. - definately a biblical no no, see proverbs

Eating junk food. Don't be dissin my nachos and cheese, that ain't right

Not working out. profiteth little!!!!!

Smoking. See 1 Cor 6

It would be hypocritical of us to point our finger at one and yet not the other. Pizza is one of the four main food groups! But yes, we must point out all of those other really bad things like....beets and spinach and stuff

Oh that wretched vice of sin within, please die! Now this I truly understand....when I would to do good, evil is present with me. Do you want fries with that?

God Bless,

Gary

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Oh that wretched vice of sin within, please die! Now this I truly understand....when I would to do good, evil is present with me. Do you want fries with that?

I love my fries! blush.gif

I used to smoke. I also used to be a homeless drug addict before Jesus cleaned up that part of the mess that was my life back then. :) After I turned to the Lord, He cleaned up the drugs just about instantly. Booze took a little longer, but I stopped getting drunk almost immediately also -- just lost the taste for it. The smoking . . . took years, sad to say. :( There were some other issues going on at that time, but I noticed that the Lord cleaned up the stuff that was going to kill me the fastest first. I have no clue if others have had the same thing happen, but I think that's what would have killed me the quickest, anyway.

Smoking is not a good choice for a believer not just because of the personal health effects, but also the spiritual ones. Wanna know what got me the most? It was this: I did hotel security back then, so I had the chance to speak to many folks during a shift, and even witness when I was led by the Spirit to do so. How can I tell someone about Jesus, and 20 minutes later they see me smoking in the parking lot? The world has enough reasons to call all believers hypocrites.

I think smoking for a believer boils down to the growth process as a believer. Get saved, pray, get in the Bible and a good church and eventually this stuff will be cleaned up when the Lord decides and not us. Did I mention pray? . . . yeah, every day -- even if it takes years. Its worth it to be free of the bondage!

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  334
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.38
  • Days Won:  4

I don't believe God wants us to harm our bodies with drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, food, or whatever. I think it is up to one's own personal conviction from God to make judgment.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

We should treat cigarettes like any other physically and spiritually harmful substance.:thumbsup:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,436
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

I just run up to them and scream YOUR FACE IS ON FIRE... it is generally not to well received.... :blink: