• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.76
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Psalm 139

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.

24 See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Psalm 19

14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

A couple of threads were opened earlier challenging us to take a good look at ourselves and our interactions here. Unfortunately, they got sidetracked on account of the stimulus that the discussion was based upon. (I confess, I am partly to blame for this, and I do sincerely apologize.)

So how about a little back-track and discuss - how do we measure up to walking in love in how we interact with each other on the board.

As I see my own attitudes and words, I realize that I place a higher value on winning the debate, convincing the other that my view is the right view, than I am in building a relationship and in walking in love.

There is a way one can speak (type) and debate in love without compromising truth (so please do not think I'm suggesting compromise) - but I have yet to understand what this means or what it looks like.

As I read through my own debates and current debates, I am asking - is love evident to the person on the other side of the debate?

And as we debate with the non-believers, I wonder if we aren't getting lost in trying to out-think and out-reason them (which I have yet to see succeed, so why do we keep trying...you know, the definition of insanity?).

And then there's the political threads. Goodness, we are at each others' throats! Is this the way of the Father?

Can we talk about this without pointing fingers at each other? (or anyone else?)

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/18/1981

The key for believers should be the Holy Spirit. We should be praying before we post, while typing, and before submitting. We have a great opportunity when speaking with non-believers to plant a seed. It takes the average person between 5 and 25 times of hearing the gospel before they make a decision to act at all.

When debating theological differences we also need to consult prayer and be spirit led. We need to assure that minor theological differences are not jeopardizing our relationships with others in the body of Christ.

God Bless,

Dave

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

One of the reasons I came onto a board and the biggest at first was to learn how to convey what I wanted to share in a loving tone, something many of us struggle with. I don't believe success has been met but progress has been made. Arguing is a way of getting to the truth and some would say our culture has lost the art of argumentation but the purpose is truth. And without truth we cannot have true unity. This is why ecumenical unity is false and will be judged. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Truth.

I knew a moderator of a board, and still know him, that had the ability to argue with someone about doctrine but yet have such grace in his writing ability. He eventually shut the board down because it so quickly slid into a place for bickering and lost it's intent. He is now a pastor and does say the experience was the only non productive action he had ever spent in ministry. Honestly it was impossible to write anything without someone taking it far away from any meaning in which it was written. This was back around the the turn of the millennium.

The way we handle ourselves in personal fellowship and the way we handle ourselves on the board can be quite different. I try anyway to bug out or away from arguments that I think will be nonproductive but I may back off when it could be good and stay when it isn't edifying. This communication lends itself to some of these things and as I have said elsewhere the reason I actually came onto a board again was finding a place seemingly having a bit more grace than other boards. Some of the boards become ruled by one theological camp and slam down anyone approaching a thought of another theology without any moderating.

Any way I need to get on with the day,

God bless.

Thank you for your words, Dave and ZEMKE.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,028
  • Content Per Day:  0.23
  • Days Won:  1

Your welcome,

Something else you said about winning the argument is a good point, entering into a debate or argument with the knowledge we may be wrong or not quite seeing the whole picture is important. This is how coming into the truth can be achieved. Difficult as it may be.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

Your welcome,

Something else you said about winning the argument is a good point, entering into a debate or argument with the knowledge we may be wrong or not quite seeing the whole picture is important. This is how coming into the truth can be achieved. Difficult as it may be.

This is so very true. We should be able to have a discussion without someone insisting on holding the 'truth' over others. I love a good midrash, love poking and digging with others so often I see things I missed, or it brought a deeper meaning to what I thought I might know. I have a pretty diverse congregation yet we can still sit around each Sabbath and get into the word, disagree and still walk away loving one another. As you said we should not enter into debates to win, thats not what Gods word is all about.

Nebula what an great post!

As I see my own attitudes and words, I realize that I place a higher value on winning the debate, convincing the other that my view is the right view, than I am in building a relationship and in walking in love.

I love what you wrote here it takes someone who knows they are loved by Him to examine themselves and see that maybe they arent doing exactly what He wishes, I soooo wish more of us would look inward and see this. I know it took me a long time to see the pride in what I was writing, pride that I 'knew', gratefully, thankfully He made me see myself as others probably saw me. Now do I always suceed! no!!! lol still a work in progress just like the rest of us. I pray that your words reach those that really need to hear this message.

shalom,

Mizz

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

Please allow me ot snip away all but this question.

As I read through my own debates and current debates, I am asking - is love evident to the person on the other side of the debate?

Yes, one can see the love and hate through typed words. This may not always be the case, but there are many times when there is no doubt. In Matthew and Luke we find "For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks". The problem lies in our heart.

We find one simple instruction in Colossians 4:6 "Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one." Do we do this before we hastily hit the "Add Reply" button? Do we even care? These are questions we should ask ourselves for each post.

It took me a long time to understand such a simple idea, which I am still working on. Yet, to word my posts in this manner has become very important to me. I have come to terms that my flesh is still alive and wanting to escape the boundaries I have asked the Lord to refrain it to. I had to do a study on the tongue, be it verbal or written. This lesson is well worth the time and effort I have put into it.

People will argue and debate, but as you mentioned, there is a right way and the wrong way to express out thoughts. We do so to the point of not swearing, but we still allow cutting words to slide past our radar. As in all things, practice is important. I started my practice asking myself if Jesus would say such a thing. Yes, I know this is a beaten question, but "What Would Jesus Do" is exactly what I am saying.

There is a time to be firm and a time to be gentle. This is not the issue, though some will defend their words as being firm while not sifting their choice words, finding a better way to express their thoughts. I have been just as guilty as others when I say that. This happens when either anger or pride step in front of my judgment. This also happens when I feel attacked and hurt. Either way, when I allow my feelings to guide my words, I am walking down the wrong path. They alone cannot dictate what I am to say or how I am to reply. They can guide my thoughts to a point, but to allow them to be the lone reason why I say what I say is wrong.

It is strange how some say that we cannot walk in faith by our feelings, yet they allow their feelings to dictate a response. Is this not a contradiction?

Thank you, mizzdy and OneLight!

"it takes someone who knows they are loved by Him"

"This happens when either anger or pride step in front of my judgment. This also happens when I feel attacked and hurt."

Very true - we react out of defense, hurt, pride - we aren't secure in God's love.

Very, very good points!

Psalm 139

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.

24 See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

Psalm 19

14 May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

A couple of threads were opened earlier challenging us to take a good look at ourselves and our interactions here. Unfortunately, they got sidetracked on account of the stimulus that the discussion was based upon. (I confess, I am partly to blame for this, and I do sincerely apologize.)

So how about a little back-track and discuss - how do we measure up to walking in love in how we interact with each other on the board.

There is a way one can speak (type) and debate in love without compromising truth (so please do not think I'm suggesting compromise) - but I have yet to understand what this means or what it looks like.

And as we debate with the non-believers, I wonder if we aren't getting lost in trying to out-think and out-reason them (which I have yet to see succeed, so why do we keep trying...you know, the definition of insanity?).

And then there's the political threads. Goodness, we are at each others' throats! Is this the way of the Father?

Can we talk about this without pointing fingers at each other? (or anyone else?)

Hi Neb,

So glad you brought this topic up :thumbs_up: - and I have to confess I have had my "bad" days on Worthy too where I have not had a cup of responses overflowing with love, quite the opposite and frankly I have been ashamed at what kind of example I put forth to all those folks who read but do not reply AND to all those seekers out there as well as to the atheists.

And adding a hasty smiley/huggy emoticon onto the end of a rather heated response just doesn't cut the mustard methinks...

Edited by HGirl

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

How shall we examine ourselves? We shall put it to the light of scripture for sure.

16 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. 18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law. 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. 24 And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

I love these particular scriptures because the keep me washed and directly reminded of the consequences of living in the flesh. Those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of heaven. A nice gentle reminder I get whenever I am given a thought that is contrary to the knowledge of God in Christ Jesus my Lord. He is always right. I must defeat evil with good. I must not revile when I am reviled. I must seek to esteem others better than self. I must die daily.

May the Lord come upon you and keep you each day as you walk in close fellowship with him and suffer the sin of other against yourself for their sake. May he lift you up if you should fall.

In Jesus Name,

Gary