IGNORED

Various Questions

Guest LightLink

Guest LightLink

Now I make no claim to be an expert on christian theology, quite the oposite realy, I do not know much. However I appear to know more than the average person my age, but that does not make me excempt from running into a few problems in my studies.

I have read the new testament, and it did not have that many problems, and the ones it did, were perfectly fine and understandable.

It was on my attempt at reading the old testament that I had to give up, at the beggining of genesis, because I got too confused. Although these questions are common, I have yet to find a real answer, that made sence to me.

They go as follows:

Nomatter what bible you pick up, there are two creation stories? Why? Which one is true, or do they compliment one-another withought my knowledge. Also, one seems to refer to an "our" and "they" thereby making a plurality among god, as if there was more than one. I have heard this was in reference to the trinity, however the old testament is inherintly jewish, who as far as I know, do not believe in the trinity. Also, at this time (the beggining) jesus was nowhere near born, thereby there should be no "son".

God, has to actualy ask for the whereabouts of adam and eve after they ate the fruit, and hid from the lord. God knows everything, why ask? I have heard that he was giving them a chance to be good people, and be honest, however once again, god is allknowing, therefore should know if they would be honest or not. So why bother asking if you are indeed allknowing, and would know whether or not they would be honest.

Cain has a magic wife...This is to say, he gets a wife out of nowhere...he just...has a wife. I have heard he married his sister, but at this time, the bible makes no reference to another child, let alone a daughter. Not till after Seth did adam and eve bare many sons and daughters.

Cain killed Abel yes. However as before, all knowing god had to ask where abel was. Once again, God wanting to know if Cain would fess up, doesnt pan out, as he would know if he would or would not, so why waste his time?

God put a curse on Cain. Yet he gets a magic wife, has kids and flourishes. Also, cain gets a mark, to protect him from getting killed by people. What people? There is only Adam and Eve at the time since Cain killed abel....how hard is it to avoid 2 people?

Cain killed Abel out of jelousy. God liked Abels offering of flesh, but not Cains offering of crop. They both offered the best of what they owned. What would constitute god to say that one was better than the other, when they both offered their best. Cain could nomore offer flesh than Abel offer crop, since they did not have those in their possesion respectivly.

God destroyed the world through water, for mankinds wickedness. When noah took animals on the arck, there are two numbers by which he follows, which controdict. Am I missing something?

There is more, I just cant remember it all. I stopped reading shortly after noah due to utter confusion.

I cry yalls pardon if I am just being stupid, just these things and more bug me to no end.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,278
  • Content Per Day:  0.17
  • Days Won:  0

I will try to answer a few of these as best I can. :huh:

Nomatter what bible you pick up, there are two creation stories? Why? Which one is true, or do they compliment one-another withought my knowledge.

Some say that chapter 2 happened on day 6 inside the Garden of Eden so that Adam would know God's power and have an example of God's creative power.

Also, one seems to refer to an "our" and "they" thereby making a plurality among god, as if there was more than one. I have heard this was in reference to the trinity, however the old testament is inherintly jewish, who as far as I know, do not believe in the trinity. Also, at this time (the beggining) jesus was nowhere near born, thereby there should be no "son".

From my understanding, Jews do believe that the Messiah is still coming, so they will believe in the eternal God-head, just not yet.

God, has to actualy ask for the whereabouts of adam and eve after they ate the fruit, and hid from the lord. God knows everything, why ask?

Many times when I was growing up I had my parents ask me questions they already knew the answer to.

Example: my babysitter had a radio thrown at her one time. I was guilty, yet my mom asked me if I threw it at her. It was to get an admission of guilt. Could be the same with this situation.

I have heard that he was giving them a chance to be good people, and be honest, however once again, god is allknowing, therefore should know if they would be honest or not. So why bother asking if you are indeed allknowing, and would know whether or not they would be honest.

I believe that this is answered above. If not, let me know and I will try to dig a little deeper.

Cain has a magic wife...This is to say, he gets a wife out of nowhere...he just...has a wife. I have heard he married his sister, but at this time, the bible makes no reference to another child, let alone a daughter. Not till after Seth did adam and eve bare many sons and daughters.

Cain married his sister. Answers In Genesis has an article on this topic.

Cain killed Abel yes. However as before, all knowing god had to ask where abel was. Once again, God wanting to know if Cain would fess up, doesnt pan out, as he would know if he would or would not, so why waste his time?

To get an admission of guilt. It may be directed towards the heart (conscience). God wants us to repent of our sins.

God put a curse on Cain. Yet he gets a magic wife, has kids and flourishes. Also, cain gets a mark, to protect him from getting killed by people. What people? There is only Adam and Eve at the time since Cain killed abel....how hard is it to avoid 2 people?

Genesis 5:4-5 says:

4 After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters. 5 Altogether, Adam lived 930 years, and then he died.

How many kids do you think you could have in 930 years? :P:)

Cain killed Abel out of jelousy. God liked Abels offering of flesh, but not Cains offering of crop. They both offered the best of what they owned. What would constitute god to say that one was better than the other, when they both offered their best. Cain could nomore offer flesh than Abel offer crop, since they did not have those in their possesion respectivly.

This is a foreshadow of the atoning death of Jesus Christ who is the only way to save us from our sins.

Leviticus 17

10 " 'Any Israelite or any alien living among them who eats any blood-I will set my face against that person who eats blood and will cut him off from his people. 11 For the life of a creature is in the blood, and I have given it to you to make atonement for yourselves on the altar; it is the blood that makes atonement for one's life.

The blood must be shed to atone for ones soul/life.

God destroyed the world through water, for mankinds wickedness. When noah took animals on the arck, there are two numbers by which he follows, which controdict. Am I missing something?

I really don't understand your question here. Noah took a pair of animals on the arc for some, but for others he took 3 pairs.

Rephrase the question and maybe I will be of more help.

Thank you.

There is more, I just cant remember it all. I stopped reading shortly after noah due to utter confusion.

I cry yalls pardon if I am just being stupid, just these things and more bug me to no end.

No problem. We are here to help.

Did you read my testimony?

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  1,278
  • Content Per Day:  0.17

Another website that you can search for articles about Genesis is Dr. Kent Hovind's website, Dr Dino.

I have to go to sleep now, so goodnight. I will check back in the morning. :huh:

I hope and pray that you find what you are looking for. I sure have and boy is it great!!! :)

Guest LightLink
From my understanding, Jews do believe that the Messiah is still coming, so they will believe in the eternal God-head, just not yet.

Ah. I must inquire however the possibility of more than one god, as as far as I know in the ten commandments it just said something along the lines of thou shalt have no other gods before me, as if to say, you can have other gods...just...hes the best one. Am I wrong?

I believe that this is answered above. If not, let me know and I will try to dig a little deeper.

Your parents are not all knowing. God is. Your parents know the answer, and wish for you to repent, god knows the answer and also knows weather or not you will repent. So...I still ask as to why even bother asking to what you know the reply will be.

To get an admission of guilt. It may be directed towards the heart (conscience). God wants us to repent of our sins.

God knows if we will admit guilt or not. Again, he knows this, why ask?

Cain married his sister. Answers In Genesis has an article on this topic.

"after he had fathered Seth"

He could not have married his sister, since any sisters where not born yet, and it says right there. The article says that it does not say when these sons and daughters were born, but it says right there, after seth. And Cain had his wife before seth. Am I missing something?

Genesis 5:4-5 says:

4 After Seth was born, Adam lived 800 years and had other sons and daughters. 5 Altogether, Adam lived 930 years, and then he died.

How many kids do you think you could have in 930 years?

Hands Cain left to the land of Nod by the time any siblings were born, thus safe?

This is a foreshadow of the atoning death of Jesus Christ who is the only way to save us from our sins.

So what was Cain to do?

I really don't understand your question here. Noah took a pair of animals on the arc for some, but for others he took 3 pairs.

Rephrase the question and maybe I will be of more help.

Thank you.

Well...it just says he took two of every animal, then says something about a number of clean animals, and a number of unclean ones...that doesnt make sence to me.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  965
  • Content Per Day:  0.13
  • Birthday:  05/28/1979

Ah. I must inquire however the possibility of more than one god, as as far as I know in the ten commandments it just said something along the lines of thou shalt have no other gods before me, as if to say, you can have other gods...just...hes the best one. Am I wrong?

God did say to have no other gods before Him. It means that anything that is more important than Him is like a "god"- when it starts to take the focus off our Father- HE should be the 1# priority 100% of the time. I hope that makes sense- I'm getting sleepy :sleep: :P

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Also, one seems to refer to an "our" and "they" thereby making a plurality among god, as if there was more than one. Also, at this time (the beggining) Jesus was nowhere near born, thereby there should be no "son".

There is only one God. Jesus and the Holy Spirit are present in the Old Testament, but Jesus, not being born of Mary yet, is not in His human flesh.

God, has to actualy ask for the whereabouts of adam and eve after they ate the fruit, and hid from the lord. God knows everything, why ask? I have heard that he was giving them a chance to be good people, and be honest, however once again, god is allknowing, therefore should know if they would be honest or not. So why bother asking if you are indeed allknowing, and would know whether or not they would be honest.

I believe that the Lord is giving them a chance to come forward and confess as well. Sure, He knows what they have done, but He also has the Father type relationship with them.

He could not have married his sister, since any sisters where not born yet, and it says right there.

Actually, she was most likely his sister, or even his niece by then. The bible tells us about the fall of man and God's plan of redemption for us. Many things are unimportant to the telling of that plan, although some people might want to know the answers. Just because it is not mentioned that Adam and Eve had other kids by the time of the murder of Abel, does not mean they were not there.

Cain killed Abel out of jealousy. God liked Abels offering of flesh, but not Cains offering of crop. They both offered the best of what they owned. What would constitute god to say that one was better than the other, when they both offered their best. Cain could nomore offer flesh than Abel offer crop, since they did not have those in their possesion respectivly.

It was not the offering that the Lord found objectionable, but the heart of the man offering it. When the Lord rejects Cain's offering, He speaks

Gen 4:7 If you do well, shall you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin crouches at the door; and its desire is for you, and you shall rule over it.

God is addressing the heart behind Cain's offering, telling him that if his heart was right, then it would be acceptable. The bible does not say Cain offered the best, only that he offered something. At any rate, it is plain that Cain had wrong motives in his offering.

There are clean and unclean animals. The unclean animals were taken in pairs, only 1 pair each. The clean animals numbered 7 each. Presumably for sacrifices and to repopulate faster as they were useful and needed by mankind. That makes a lot of sense.

You are not stupid at all. Please ask all the questions you wish. We love answering them. We look forward to helping you get to know the Lord and His word.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

Also, one seems to refer to an "our" and "they" thereby making a plurality among god, as if there was more than one. I have heard this was in reference to the trinity, however the old testament is inherintly jewish, who as far as I know, do not believe in the trinity. Also, at this time (the beggining) jesus was nowhere near born, thereby there should be no "son".

if you read John, first chapter, you will find the answer in just the first few verses...

in the begining................

keep reading....join a bible study.... and ask questions.....

The Spirit will guide you as you grow in stature.....

mike

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  4,492
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  18

Ayin Jade...

It was not the offering that the Lord found objectionable, but the heart of the man offering it. When the Lord rejects Cain's offering, He speaks

Gen 4:7 If you do well, shall you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin crouches at the door; and its desire is for you, and you shall rule over it.

God is addressing the heart behind Cain's offering, telling him that if his heart was right, then it would be acceptable. The bible does not say Cain offered the best, only that he offered something. At any rate, it is plain that Cain had wrong motives in his offering.

This is a good explanation.

Also

Gen 4:3 And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD.

The whole attitude of Cain's heart can be seen in the way he shoddily gives to G-d that which was probably going to be thrown away anyway...I see him as a husbandman tending trees...and just picking up the bruised and rotting fruit that had fallen from the trees and presenting it to G-d...whereas Abel present the L-rd with the first produce of his flock...it cost him to do so.

Some of us are like Cain at times...we give G-d the fag-end of our day or we never really cry out in heart-felt prayer...or even heart felt love and nothing ever really costs us in terms of our time,money friendship etc...and yet He didn't withold His only Son to die on the Cross and carry the weight of all our sins that we might know forgiveness and know Him...That shows the heart of G-d the Father and Creator towards His Creation...you and I.

Guest LightLink
The whole attitude of Cain's heart can be seen in the way he shoddily gives to G-d that which was probably going to be thrown away anyway...I see him as a husbandman tending trees...and just picking up the bruised and rotting fruit that had fallen from the trees and presenting it to G-d...whereas Abel present the L-rd with the first produce of his flock...it cost him to do so.

well, I honestly dont believe Cain, nomater what, would give god a worthless offering. As far as I know, it never said he did...but I may be wrong

Other than that, it makes sence.

if you read John, first chapter, you will find the answer in just the first few verses...

Forgive my niavete, but...I don't see an answer there.

I do not think that a bible study will much aid me.

God did say to have no other gods before Him. It means that anything that is more important than Him is like a "god"- when it starts to take the focus off our Father- HE should be the 1# priority 100% of the time. I hope that makes sense- I'm getting sleepy

Hmm...Ive never thought of it that way. Although, this view doesnt make much sence to me, as why doesnt the commandment refer to objects? Or I dont know...its just that the word "gods" seem to me to imply just that...gods.

Also I was thinking. Moses and the egyption preist people. Moses made his cane into a snake. And so did the priests. True, moses's snake ate theirs, but twas a snake no less. Also, (I am unsure if this is true or not, I never got this far in the old testament) I heard the priests were able to duplicate two of the plauges. Now where did the priests get these abilites? The most obvious choise is satan, but realy, These people did not believe in satan. The most obviouse reply to this is "belief in satan is not required". Well, then that must mean, that at this time, pretty much everybody on the planet is doomed. Even now, many people are doomed because they are using satans powers and do not know it? This seems kinda...not good to me?

(the above was just my thoughts.)

There is only one God. Jesus and the Holy Spirit are present in the Old Testament, but Jesus, not being born of Mary yet, is not in His human flesh.

May you please show me? I am actualy not in possession of a bible.

I believe that the Lord is giving them a chance to come forward and confess as well. Sure, He knows what they have done, but He also has the Father type relationship with them.

I wonder if yall do not see my inquiry, or maybe I dont see your answer. He knows if they are going to come foward or not. if you know they will not, why ask? On the off chance that your wrong?

Im sorry if It was actualy answered, but I saw it not.

• Topic Count:  127
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,248
  • Content Per Day:  0.88

well, I honestly dont believe Cain, nomater what, would give god a worthless offering. As far as I know, it never said he did...but I may be wrong

Other than that, it makes sence.

Forgive my niavete, but...I don't see an answer there.

I do not think that a bible study will much aid me.

God did say to have no other gods before Him. It means that anything that is more important than Him is like a "god"- when it starts to take the focus off our Father- HE should be the 1# priority 100% of the time. I hope that makes sense- I'm getting sleepy

Hmm...Ive never thought of it that way. Although, this view doesnt make much sence to me, as why doesnt the commandment refer to objects? Or I dont know...its just that the word "gods" seem to me to imply just that...gods.

Also I was thinking. Moses and the egyption preist people. Moses made his cane into a snake. And so did the priests. True, moses's snake ate theirs, but twas a snake no less. Also, (I am unsure if this is true or not, I never got this far in the old testament) I heard the priests were able to duplicate two of the plauges. Now where did the priests get these abilites? The most obvious choise is satan, but realy, These people did not believe in satan. The most obviouse reply to this is "belief in satan is not required". Well, then that must mean, that at this time, pretty much everybody on the planet is doomed. Even now, many people are doomed because they are using satans powers and do not know it? This seems kinda...not good to me?

(the above was just my thoughts.)

May you please show me? I am actualy not in possession of a bible.

I wonder if yall do not see my inquiry, or maybe I dont see your answer. He knows if they are going to come foward or not. if you know they will not, why ask? On the off chance that your wrong?

Im sorry if It was actualy answered, but I saw it not.

John 1:1-6

In the beginning was the Word , and the Word was with God and the Word was God, He was with God in the beginning. Through Him all things were made, with out Him nothing was made that has been made. In Him was life and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it.

the Word is the other one that God is speaking to when He said let US make man in OUR image...... Christ in the Spirit not in the flesh....... Word = Christ

as far as a study not being able to help some one is if they choose it not to help them...... we all need to bury the Word of God in our hearts, and the Spirit of God will present us with understanding as we continue to seek the Lord and desire to grow closer to Him.....

as far as reading the Bible one time thru, that is fine, but it would be best to read it and read it and read it..... continuing to read thru the bible over and over, and while reading it, study indepth a single book, or study in depth a single subject in the Bible..... following a study is not that difficult, all a study is, is a planned route thru a specific subject or area...... we can all use help in studies.... I have attempted to do one on my own, only to find out I got lost in the trip, where if I had a guide to help me thru that peticular study, i would have not gotten lost, but would have been able to stay more focused on the task at hand......

a study will help in building your understanding of the Word.... and there maybe some one there that can answer your questions more readily, some one that might be able to mentor you also...... many many many churches have studies thru the week, some have them on different nights or days so that everyone may be able to enjoy them and work them in around their work sched...... you may even be able to find a home study to attend..... if there are none in your area, then you may wish to hit the local book store, and find a study that would be of interest to you, and then even organize a study.....

even those that have very little knowledge of the Bible, can be a very good study facilitator......

while i was in the navy, i found that the best way to learn a subject was to teach it, for that is when you finally can see that you fully understand it.....

I worked in communications, and it was not until I was tearing the equipment apart and assisting the technicians rebuild them that I understood how the mechanics of these high tech radio's worked...... in school, we did this and did that to bring a radio on line, I did not understand why i had to do this or that, just that I did, so I wanted more.... and i dug for more info, i squeeked by in classs, but when it came to getting the gear on line, and trouble shooting the equipment, it was not until I was teaching others that i was able to understand it.... so, as a facilitator, leader, teacher, a person can learn more then as the student, or follower......

Cains offering was not actually worthless, what was wrong with Cains offering was that it was not of the first fruits and Cains heart was not in it, he was doing it out of obligation not out of love, Cain was jealous, and a jealous heart is not a good thing, especially when he had no actual reason for such an attitude......

just as with tithes and offerings now days, if a person is only giving out of obligation, hoping that it will be returned to them 10 fold ( 10 times back ) then they are giving for the wrong reason, and it would actuall y be better not to give then to give with a grudge......

if a person is giving cause they love the Lord, and have pledged to the Lord they will give, and not looking for any return on it, but looking to see how much good it can do for others and for the Lord, that they are giving cause they choose to, not out of obligation, then their offering is well accepted......

is a person doing things for the "rewards" or for "love"? if you expect something back, then it is the wrong reason, if you dont care if anyone even knows you gave then you are giving for right reason, if you want others to see, that is the wrong reasons.....

I hope this helpped you in some of your questions....

may the Lord over flow you with blessings as you continue your studies....

your friend and brother....

mike