IGNORED

Very wary/weary of the medical industry.

jeffnevins

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

Anyone else have a hard time deciding whether to pay out of pocket for a treatment that may or may not help?

Impact to front tooth while on a painkiller for the brain injury headache 1.5 years ago. Pain from impact to tooth & headache has moved to a point between the two areas- roof of the mouth. Tried a few chiropractors, accupuncture, and... waiting/doing nothing.

I have utmost respect for what is done for those in ER rooms, private practice, and countless other areas.

Bad experiences can make it difficult to try again with doctors. But sometimes we need to I guess.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Im a pharmacist and you called my profession guilty with rumors and false charges. Im not supposed to be offended by that?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  806
  • Content Per Day:  0.12
  • Birthday:  10/21/1973

Im a pharmacist and you called my profession guilty with rumors and false charges. Im not supposed to be offended by that?

Peace of the Lord be with you always.

Sorry, I edited the post. I'm a bit sleep deprived from last night's pain.

I'm just praying God reveals the way for others to be healed by finding the right doctor right now. Myself included.

Or maybe God wants some of us just to wait for injuries to heal themselves.

Medical stuff is pretty confusing to me.

I thank God for this life, though. :emot-highfive:

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

I know someone whose doctor went to Iraq, ostensibly with the military, and decided not to come back to his practice. He left all his patients in the lurch, only notifying a few that he would wouldn't be returning to practice. This lady tried in vain to contact his office for a serious hypertension problem she was having. When she finally reached the office, the front office person told her she would speak with the other doctor in the practice to see if she (The other Dr) would see her. FIVE HOURS later, the office called the lady back and informed her that:

1. She had been dropped from the office because her doctor was not returning to the practice.

2. The remaining doctor would not see her because she owed a small balance ($30 co-pay).

3. She should go to the ER or urgent care.

The next day, the lady's BP unexplainedly went up to 188/106 and she drove herself to an urgent care center. This woman could have had a stroke while driving and killed or injured both herself and others. This practice also refused to refill this woman's vital medicine because she owed the small balance.

I advised her to file an ethical malpractice suit. There is no excuse for such conduct on the part of medical professionals. "First, do no harm."

Wary? You betcha.

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.02

A few years ago, I was in a situation where I was out of work and living in my van. I didn't have access to insulin which I require and I had ulcers form on my legs. I went to the hospital and aside from telling me to get my insulin filled and giving me some antibacterial ointment they said I should go see my doctor. I told them I didn't have one. A few weeks later I went back the emergency room when my legs were so swollen they were cracking and bright red with infection. The same dr who had seen me before was there and he asked if I had gone to see my doctor. I told him NO, I didn't have one and could not pay for one. He gave me more antibacterial ointment and told me that was all he could do.

Weeks of serious pain and fever about drove me crazy. The ulcers ate down to the nerves and in one case to the bone before I was able to find someone able and willing to help me. The person who helped me was a Indian doctor who was almost impossible to understand. He took me as a patient when no insurance and knowing I had no way to pay for his help. He was very kind and within a month, I saw real healing taking place in my legs. I will always be very grateful to that doctor who decided healing was more important than money.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

A few years ago, I was in a situation where I was out of work and living in my van. I didn't have access to insulin which I require and I had ulcers form on my legs. I went to the hospital and aside from telling me to get my insulin filled and giving me some antibacterial ointment they said I should go see my doctor. I told them I didn't have one. A few weeks later I went back the emergency room when my legs were so swollen they were cracking and bright red with infection. The same dr who had seen me before was there and he asked if I had gone to see my doctor. I told him NO, I didn't have one and could not pay for one. He gave me more antibacterial ointment and told me that was all he could do.

Weeks of serious pain and fever about drove me crazy. The ulcers ate down to the nerves and in one case to the bone before I was able to find someone able and willing to help me. The person who helped me was a Indian doctor who was almost impossible to understand. He took me as a patient when no insurance and knowing I had no way to pay for his help. He was very kind and within a month, I saw real healing taking place in my legs. I will always be very grateful to that doctor who decided healing was more important than money.

It's stories such as yours that make me crazy! I'm against universal health care and, at the same time, want every American to have good health care whether they have a job, insurance or money or not. No way your life should have been put in jeopardy because of your financial circumstances. I'm not for the individual mandate but I'm wary of our healthcare system as well. It needs a MAJOR overhaul. :huh:

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

When doctors remember that they are in the business of healing people and not making money, things will get better. Too many of them are egotistical maniacs with god complexes, forgetting the very God who gave them the ability to heal his creations.

Veterinarians have become the same way. I have a cat who became quite ill to the point of passing blood and barely urinating. I took her to a local vet and they promptly wanted to do every test in the known universe, despite the fact that I had done the research online and was convinced that the problem was X. I explained that I was on a fixed income and not able to spend large amounts. The doctor came back with a huge bill anyway. I paid the office visit and walked out with Dixie. I went home, laid hands on her and prayed for God to heal her. A few days later, she was fine. My internet research was correct, she had the lesser illness. God is more than able to heal His creations, human and animal.

I don't eschew medical treatment, but I don't run to the doctor for every small thing anymore either.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  2,923
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

It's stories such as yours that make me crazy! I'm against universal health care and, at the same time, want every American to have good health care whether they have a job, insurance or money or not. No way your life should have been put in jeopardy because of your financial circumstances. I'm not for the individual mandate but I'm wary of our healthcare system as well. It needs a MAJOR overhaul. :huh:

I couldn't agree more, MG.

Given my libertarian political bent (small "L"), I am of the opinion that much of the health care "crisis" we're seeing is caused by the gov't getting involved in the first place.

Let me attempt to illustrate this way - by drawing an analogy.

We can all agree (hopefully :whistling: ) that the Federal Government "running" the military is right and proper. Not only would it be non-profitable for private industry to do so (given the huge expenses of equipment and manning a standing army), it is a LEGITIMATE, CONSTITUTIONAL function. "To provide for the common defense, etc."

But what about the FedGov "running" health care? First off, it is NOT a legitimate, Constitutional function. Five judges may say it is - but that speaks to the fact that our Constitutional Republic has been corrupted beyond recognition. The proper way to MAKE it Constitutional would be via an Amendment - but the statists in charge (both Rs and Ds) are too impatient for that.

Let's face it - we may not like it, but everything about health care is expensive. It costs years and years of study and hundreds of thousands of dollars for someone to become a doctor. It costs millions if not billions for drug companies to bring new drugs to market (given that most drugs - even after years of research and testing, DO NOT make it to market.)

These costs have to be recovered, or the people and the companies go out of business. It's as simple as that.

Also, the price of medical equipment is high - mostly due to a limited market. The costs of producing the latest cell phone or laptop computer can be recouped because millions of them will be mass produced and sold. But what is the market for CAT scanners? Limited, I'm sure.

Now - combine all of what I just wrote with the fact that the subject of health care is an emotional one. It's life and death - peoples lives are on the line.

So we have the military - Extremely expensive, provides a life-and-death service, Constitutional; vs. the health care system - Extremely expensive, provides a life-and-death service, Un-Constititional.

What's the solution?

Well, like I said earlier I'm a small L libertarian. I wish the government had never gotten involved in the first place - at least to the extent it has. But it has, and like all government creations - once created, they never go away or get smaller.

Consider though what might happen if health care insurance were treated like car insurance. Do we expect our car insurance policies to cover routine maintenance like oil changes and tune ups? No. Does it cover items like tires or fan belts? No.

The purpose of car insurance is for catastrophes. When we have an accident and total our car; or cause injuries to ourselves or property damage or injuries to others.

How much of the cost of health insurance is driven up by the fact that people insist on seeing their doctors for the most minor of things? Headaches, ingrown toenails, etc. Could they not pay for the office visits for these - and leave the more expensive treatments to be covered by insurance?

Well - I suppose I could go on and on - and I really don't have a one size fits all type solution except to say in general terms that 99 percent of the time free-market solutions are preferable to government ones.

It's too late to go back, but free market solutions would probably work - leaving government to provide for THE TRULY NEEDY. (which is a small percentage - not all - of the population)

Blessings!

-Ed

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.10
  • Days Won:  78

I couldn't agree more, MG.

Given my libertarian political bent (small "L"), I am of the opinion that much of the health care "crisis" we're seeing is caused by the gov't getting involved in the first place.

Let me attempt to illustrate this way - by drawing an analogy.

We can all agree (hopefully :whistling: ) that the Federal Government "running" the military is right and proper. Not only would it be non-profitable for private industry to do so (given the huge expenses of equipment and manning a standing army), it is a LEGITIMATE, CONSTITUTIONAL function. "To provide for the common defense, etc."

But what about the FedGov "running" health care? First off, it is NOT a legitimate, Constitutional function. Five judges may say it is - but that speaks to the fact that our Constitutional Republic has been corrupted beyond recognition. The proper way to MAKE it Constitutional would be via an Amendment - but the statists in charge (both Rs and Ds) are too impatient for that.

Let's face it - we may not like it, but everything about health care is expensive. It costs years and years of study and hundreds of thousands of dollars for someone to become a doctor. It costs millions if not billions for drug companies to bring new drugs to market (given that most drugs - even after years of research and testing, DO NOT make it to market.)

These costs have to be recovered, or the people and the companies go out of business. It's as simple as that.

Also, the price of medical equipment is high - mostly due to a limited market. The costs of producing the latest cell phone or laptop computer can be recouped because millions of them will be mass produced and sold. But what is the market for CAT scanners? Limited, I'm sure.

Now - combine all of what I just wrote with the fact that the subject of health care is an emotional one. It's life and death - peoples lives are on the line.

So we have the military - Extremely expensive, provides a life-and-death service, Constitutional; vs. the health care system - Extremely expensive, provides a life-and-death service, Un-Constititional.

What's the solution?

Well, like I said earlier I'm a small L libertarian. I wish the government had never gotten involved in the first place - at least to the extent it has. But it has, and like all government creations - once created, they never go away or get smaller.

Consider though what might happen if health care insurance were treated like car insurance. Do we expect our car insurance policies to cover routine maintenance like oil changes and tune ups? No. Does it cover items like tires or fan belts? No.

The purpose of car insurance is for catastrophes. When we have an accident and total our car; or cause injuries to ourselves or property damage or injuries to others.

How much of the cost of health insurance is driven up by the fact that people insist on seeing their doctors for the most minor of things? Headaches, ingrown toenails, etc. Could they not pay for the office visits for these - and leave the more expensive treatments to be covered by insurance?

Well - I suppose I could go on and on - and I really don't have a one size fits all type solution except to say in general terms that 99 percent of the time free-market solutions are preferable to government ones.

It's too late to go back, but free market solutions would probably work - leaving government to provide for THE TRULY NEEDY. (which is a small percentage - not all - of the population)

Blessings!

-Ed

Very well thought out, Ed. I agree with most of what you say. I'd only add that PREVENTATIVE care (pap smears, prostate exams, mammograms, colonoscopies, etc) should be paid for by insurance (my insurance covers most of that 100%), since we know that prevention can save lives AND money. Hearing about any American being refused healthcare is absolutely maddening to me. :huh:

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

That is against federal law. By law all hospital ers must provide you with care regardless of your ability to pay. Regardless of cost.