taylor30

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  382
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  3

I have a question that got me thinking based on a radio commercial that plays about 100 times a day for some odd reason.

Should organ donation be mandatory for the good of others?

What is mandatory is righteousness before God which is Loving God with all your heart, mind, soul and body and your neighbor as yourself. The question would be, How does organ donation fit into that?

Is it selfish to deny others what you can't keep and they need?

Good question. Once again you bring up selfishness as a possible root cause for someone deciding against donating organs. My question above asks the question, Is what we are deciding to do, with anything, centered around our love for God and others or a self-centered human desire?

My personal opinion of both questions is YES. What do you think?

I am an organ donor. I leave forcing people to do things up to God as that is his department. When man gets involved in forcing people to do things, he is rarely ever just in his efforts.

Gary

Allow me to answer that with another question.

How can refusing to help someone when you have the ability be anything but selfish?

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,796
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Mandatory? No it shouldn't be. That is the ultimate invasion of personal liberty. Is it selfish? Not so sure about that either. People have some valid beliefs that cause them to want their body intact after death.

Personally I will donate anything I can, but I'm not about to condemn others for selfishness because they believe differently about organ donation.

I'm not talking about condemning anyone. I am only saying is it right to allow someone the supposed "right" to refuse someone something that can help someone after thay no longer have need of it. Sort of like a millioniare putting in his will that his cash should be burned though he lives in a small poor town ( as an illustration ).

I think the bible kind of answered this.

Acts 5

3 But Peter said, Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart for you to lie to the Holy Spirit, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

4 While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own authority? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men, but to God.

It is theirs to give or not give. What you are preaching, mandatory "giving" is actually the social justice gospel, a false gospel.

Taylor,

Your organs are part of YOUR body and your right to do with them as you please.

I personally see organ donation as a kind, loving thing to do, but in no way should it be forced.

It should be noted that some organs are not acceptable for donation.

I know some Christians who believe in a future resurrection of their bodies are hesitant to donate their organs, but I personally would not hesitate to do so if mine were usable.

The God who created can certainly raise folks from the dead and restore organs that were donated, without harming those who benefited from those organs. Im certain resurrection isnt a hindrance to organ donation.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Mandatory? No it shouldn't be. That is the ultimate invasion of personal liberty. Is it selfish? Not so sure about that either. People have some valid beliefs that cause them to want their body intact after death.

Personally I will donate anything I can, but I'm not about to condemn others for selfishness because they believe differently about organ donation.

I'm not talking about condemning anyone. I am only saying is it right to allow someone the supposed "right" to refuse someone something that can help someone after thay no longer have need of it. Sort of like a millioniare putting in his will that his cash should be burned though he lives in a small poor town ( as an illustration ).

Yes, we have the right to refuse someone something even if it can help them.

We have the right to have money and not give it to people in need.

Biblically, giving is to be free will, not coerced, not forced, done in secret, where it will be rewarded by the Father.

Yes technically we have the "right" to do it. But having the right does not necessarily "make it right" if you see what I mean. I guess I am on my own on this one. I just believe a Moral Obligation to help someone should not be a choice. IMO

I have a question that got me thinking based on a radio commercial that plays about 100 times a day for some odd reason.

What is mandatory is righteousness before God which is Loving God with all your heart, mind, soul and body and your neighbor as yourself. The question would be, How does organ donation fit into that?

Good question. Once again you bring up selfishness as a possible root cause for someone deciding against donating organs. My question above asks the question, Is what we are deciding to do, with anything, centered around our love for God and others or a self-centered human desire?

I am an organ donor. I leave forcing people to do things up to God as that is his department. When man gets involved in forcing people to do things, he is rarely ever just in his efforts.

Gary

How can refusing to help someone when you have the ability be anything but selfish?

OK, I am going to approach this gently, because I know you are hurting right now.

You cite selfishness as a reason to not give when we could have.

But in your own life right now, you are choosing to stay at home rather than venture out and help others. You could go to church merely for the benefit you could provide to others. You could volunteer your time to people who are also lonely. But you don't, for a variety of reasons. Now... do you think it would be right to FORCE you to give that which you have (time) which could help others? No, it isn't right to force it. God requires free will giving, from the heart, voluntarily.

emot-hug.gif

• Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

No, for all the reasons sited already, we either will do good or not. Our 'fruits', good deeds, should be seen our entire life not just with one act after we are dead. Not everyone can be an organ donor either.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

No. and No.

I think that mandatory organ donation would have some big opportunities for abuse.

Edited by sevenseas

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.54
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

This would be the private, personal business of each individual person - in other words "None-Ya" and "Not-Ya" business. The same would be said especially to the government - "None-Ya" and "Not-Ya" business. Saying "NO" is and would be the END of the matter and nobody's business except the person making the decision. This is such a PRIVATE and PERSONAL matter that it is NOT subject to argument or debate.

Taylor do you routinely donate blood? If not, why not?

Yes, we have the right to refuse someone something even if it can help them.

We have the right to have money and not give it to people in need.

Biblically, giving is to be free will, not coerced, not forced, done in secret, where it will be rewarded by the Father.

Yes technically we have the "right" to do it. But having the right does not necessarily "make it right" if you see what I mean. I guess I am on my own on this one. I just believe a Moral Obligation to help someone should not be a choice. IMO

Gary

OK, I am going to approach this gently, because I know you are hurting right now.

You cite selfishness as a reason to not give when we could have.

But in your own life right now, you are choosing to stay at home rather than venture out and help others. You could go to church merely for the benefit you could provide to others. You could volunteer your time to people who are also lonely. But you don't, for a variety of reasons. Now... do you think it would be right to FORCE you to give that which you have (time) which could help others? No, it isn't right to force it. God requires free will giving, from the heart, voluntarily.

emot-hug.gif

I agree with the point you make. Of course if people have the RIGHT to deny helping someone, then I certainly have the RIGHT to stand by and withhold help front others too right? I can't be judged for exercising my RIGHT any more than those who refuse organ donation. Correct?

Taylor do you routinely donate blood? If not, why not?

Not blood, but I do donate plasma. And I do that because it pays $25 each time I do it. As so many on this thread have stated, it is our RIGHT to refuse to do good, even though God says to refuse to do good or exercise that "right" is a sin. People on this thread may not judge those who refuse to do right, but God WILL.