• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

People who are satisfied with their own basic needs being met miss the boat entirely.

2 Corinthians 9:8-9

And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. As the Scriptures say,

“They share freely and give generously to the poor.

Their good deeds will be remembered forever.”

Guest LadyC

Also public lands do not permit one to take over and camp as he does. So he is breaking the law this way.

not sure about utah, but in nevada you can live on public land like that, provided that you "move" at least once every two weeks. if there is another cave nearby, he may switch caves periodically and still be legal.

Fez,

if this cave dwelling person was to give up his cave and do like the british fellow does, travelling and preaching the word, i'd have been voicing admiration instead of criticism. what an awesome thing that brit is doing!

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  80
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  0

When I was living in my van, (not by choice) I could go into any public library and ask for a visitor's pass...which inabled me to use the computers and other library resources. That's probably how he does it.

Somewhere I read that he goes to the local library to blog. Im curious how he does that since libraries require an address and telephone number to prove residency in order to use their computers.

Also public lands do not permit one to take over and camp as he does. So he is breaking the law this way.

If he really wants to live this way, its his choice. But to claim this is what Jesus wants for people, that it is the gospel message ... is flat out wrong.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

The man in the article is claiming the gospel is to live poor.

Yes, that is a false gospel that many people embrace, albeit not so closely as this fellow. His faith is watered down and compromised and doesn't resemble true faith in Christ alone.

Guest shiloh357

Actually, it is likely that Jesus did have a house and Scripture implies that He did. Jesus didn't live in caves or sleep under trees at night. Jesus was an itinerent Rabbi. He travelled only within the borders of Israel and he was never more than a few days away from His home. Jesus was not a poor man either. He and the disciples had funds and Judas was the treasurer. Judas was stealing from the treasuring and only Jesus seems to have known it at the time. If Judas could steal money from the ministry funds and not get caught by the others, it would seem to indicate that their funds were significant enough to be able to skim from the top without creating a noticeble shortage when it came time to purchase food along their journeys (such as in John 4). Not only that, but the guards who crucified Him thought enough of His garments to gamble for them. I mean, just the night before they particiated in the Passover seder and it would have meant dressing up in your finest garments and Jesus was arrested while wearing those finer garments.

It is likely that Jesus maintained His carpenter's shop in Nazareth and would have continued to support His mother. As He was the elder son, the responsibility would have fallen to Him to care for and look after His mother. So Jesus would have needed some form of income. Rabbis were often bi-vocational. They did not necessarily make any money from being a Rabbi. So, for Jesus to be a Rabbi and still remain a carpenter would have been consistent with the lifestyle of other rabbinical contemporaries. Hillel was a wood cutter, Shammai was metal worker, Paul made tents...

So Jesus was not some smelly homeless, penniless beggar or vagabond. This man is engaging in in a complete misreading of Scripture.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.67
  • Days Won:  10

People who are satisfied with their own basic needs being met miss the boat entirely.

2 Corinthians 9:8-9

And God will generously provide all you need. Then you will always have everything you need and plenty left over to share with others. As the Scriptures say,

“They share freely and give generously to the poor.

Their good deeds will be remembered forever.”

2 Cor. 9-15

Moreover, God has the power to provide you with every gracious gift in abundance, so that always in every way you will have all you need yourselves and be able to provide abundantly for every good cause - 9 as the Tanakh says, "He gave generously to the poor; his tzedakah lasts forever." 10 He who provides both seed for the planter and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed and increase the harvest of your tzedakah. 11 You will be enriched in every way, so that you can be generous in everything. And through us your generosity will cause people to thank God, 12 because rendering this holy service not only provides for the needs of God's people, but it also overflows in the many thanks people will be giving to God. 13 In offering this service you prove to these people that you glorify God by actually doing what your acknowledgement of the Good News of the Messiah requires, namely, sharing generously with them and with everyone. 14 And in their prayers for you they will feel a strong affection for you because of how gracious God has been to you. 15 Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

This doesnt say that we are going to get all kinds of things abundantly but we are equipped with the things we need to show others His words and ways.

• Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Actually, it is likely that Jesus did have a house and Scripture implies that He did. Jesus didn't live in caves or sleep under trees at night. Jesus was an itinerent Rabbi. He travelled only within the borders of Israel and he was never more than a few days away from His home. Jesus was not a poor man either. He and the disciples had funds and Judas was the treasurer. Judas was stealing from the treasuring and only Jesus seems to have known it at the time. If Judas could steal money from the ministry funds and not get caught by the others, it would seem to indicate that their funds were significant enough to be able to skim from the top without creating a noticeble shortage when it came time to purchase food along their journeys (such as in John 4). Not only that, but the guards who crucified Him thought enough of His garments to gamble for them. I mean, just the night before they particiated in the Passover seder and it would have meant dressing up in your finest garments and Jesus was arrested while wearing those finer garments.

It is likely that Jesus maintained His carpenter's shop in Nazareth and would have continued to support His mother. As He was the elder son, the responsibility would have fallen to Him to care for and look after His mother. So Jesus would have needed some form of income. Rabbis were often bi-vocational. They did not necessarily make any money from being a Rabbi. So, for Jesus to be a Rabbi and still remain a carpenter would have been consistent with the lifestyle of other rabbinical contemporaries. Hillel was a wood cutter, Shammai was metal worker, Paul made tents...

So Jesus was not some smelly homeless, penniless beggar or vagabond. This man is engaging in in a complete misreading of Scripture.

Yep, for the first 30 years or so He would have had to have a vocation.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Gee shiloh, you took the words right out of my mouth..............oops, I mean finger tips. :thumbsup:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  1,015
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  4

Don't know much about the fellow in question but your thread title caught my eye and I wandered over to take a peek.

Let me say for what it's worth that it's really no big deal to be homeless. At least for a guy living as a single. I've been there and still am.

I belong to a gym, take showers whenever I want, have all out unlimited internet access 24/7 through the university that I frequent, even have a student card which entitles me to all kinds of perks at the university though I take absolutely no classes (perfectly legal under a special program they have for people who are fifty and over).

I pay absolutely no rent anywhere. I get around by public trolley and bus (get a deep discount as a result of being considered a student).

I meet most of my needs for money by doing web development for clients (through my own laptop which I store along with a few other things in a couple of lockers at the gym) all of which know that I am homeless and who have no problem with it whatever (though at first they were a bit hesitant to use me as a result of the stereotypes that are associated with this lifestyle). When they owe me money they simple visit a branch of my bank (multi-state) and make a deposit in person at a teller or they mail me a check through my bank's Pay by Mail address.

Most people's idea of what it is like to be homeless is completely off the wall! I mean seriously. All they ever see and think regarding the homeless is what are commonly looked upon as bums. It doesn't have to be that way at all. Most people that meet me would never guess that I am homeless at all though I do not hide such as we interact.

It's only ever been a problem with ONE single person that I know of. The change in his countenance and interaction with me when I told him I was living homeless was palpable. His loss as far as I am concerned.

If anyone has any questions about this I probably won't answer them (except through PM and only if I have had previous positive dealings with you here) as there are just too many people who would judge me left and right and ignore whatever the Lord might want to say through me because of things they may find out about me that are irrelevant from God's perspective but not from theirs.

For what it's worth.

Carlos

• Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Don't know much about the fellow in question but your thread title caught my eye and I wandered over to take a peek.

Let me say for what it's worth that it's really no big deal to be homeless. At least for a guy living as a single. I've been there and still am.

I belong to a gym, take showers whenever I want, have all out unlimited internet access 24/7 through the university that I frequent, even have a student card which entitles me to all kinds of perks at the university though I take absolutely no classes (perfectly legal under a special program they have for people who are fifty and over).

I pay absolutely no rent anywhere. I get around by public trolley and bus (get a deep discount as a result of being considered a student).

I meet most of my needs for money by doing web development for clients (through my own laptop which I store along with a few other things in a couple of lockers at the gym) all of which know that I am homeless and who have no problem with it whatever (though at first they were a bit hesitant to use me as a result of the stereotypes that are associated with this lifestyle). When they owe me money they simple visit a branch of my bank (multi-state) and make a deposit in person at a teller or they mail me a check through my bank's Pay by Mail address.

Most people's idea of what it is like to be homeless is completely off the wall! I mean seriously. All they ever see and think regarding the homeless is what are commonly looked upon as bums. It doesn't have to be that way at all. Most people that meet me would never guess that I am homeless at all though I do not hide such as we interact.

It's only ever been a problem with ONE single person that I know of. The change in his countenance and interaction with me when I told him I was living homeless was palpable. His loss as far as I am concerned.

If anyone has any questions about this I probably won't answer them (except through PM and only if I have had previous positive dealings with you here) as there are just too many people who would judge me left and right and ignore whatever the Lord might want to say through me because of things they may find out about me that are irrelevant from God's perspective but not from theirs.

For what it's worth.

Carlos

I have no problem with your post at all, except to wonder, through sheer curiosity, where do you sleep?