ayin jade

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

I just found out something today that I wish I was physically able to do now. Wish I had known about this when I was younger and fit.

Apparently while over 5000 people have climbed Mount Everest, only 16 people have walked the entire 600 mile length of the Grand Canyon. Its considered a bigger accomplishment among hikers apparently. Living close to it for all these years, I might have been able to do this when my body wasnt this broke down version it is currently lol.

Here is an article about a woman who almost accomplished it, until a fall claimed her life. The article talks about the ultimate hike of hiking the canyon its length.

http://azdailysun.com/news/local/c4b475df-ea5d-546d-9fef-1095d3d31c8d.html

I wish I had been able to try this.

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

who says you cant with a little determination-Im not saying just go out and do it, maybe a little at a time, say 2 miles here 2 miles another day. . .maybe youll make it all maybe not, and it may not be all at once but it may be fun trying. If it makes you feel better, I dont think Id be able to make that hike either, though it does look fun.

Pat Im physically unable to do this. My body is too broken down to do much more than 1 mile on level ground, much less climbing up and down the grand canyon, a strenuous hike for physically fit people. This isnt something you can just drive up to and walk.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

Heck yeah, go for it, I decided that I'm going to start backpacking again this summer, maybe I can shed some of this winter insulation I've been carrying around for a few years. :whistling:

Sorry, didn't see your last post.

• Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

well, sorry to hear that, but look on the bright side-someday youll have a new body, and I have a feeling 600 miles will be no problem.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

Thats the offical number right? My husbands brother and sis in law have done it twice now course their a bit nuts when it comes to stuff like that, my sis in laws idea of a perfect honey moon was to camp and hike the chocolate mountains. :blink: To me thats just crazy! :laugh: I thought going down inside on donkey and again on foot was wayy to much work but walk the whole thing!!!! makes me tired thinking about it!

Thats the offical number right? My husbands brother and sis in law have done it twice now course their a bit nuts when it comes to stuff like that, my sis in laws idea of a perfect honey moon was to camp and hike the chocolate mountains. :blink: To me thats just crazy! :laugh: I thought going down inside on donkey and again on foot was wayy to much work but walk the whole thing!!!! makes me tired thinking about it!

No, thats not going down into the canyon and back up again. It is walking the entire length of the canyon, all 600 miles of it.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  08/27/1966

600 miles? On foot? That's NUTS!! :o

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  3,911
  • Content Per Day:  0.66
  • Days Won:  10

No, thats not going down into the canyon and back up again. It is walking the entire length of the canyon, all 600 miles of it.

Oh I didnt mean to make you think riding the donkey and walking as what you were talking about sorry if I gave that impression. My brother and sis have walked the entire length twice, told you they are crazy! last time though she got heat stroke and has to be more careful after all she is in her 60's now. My husbands dad, although not all at once, had taken all of the kids, theres 8 of them, and walked the canyon at least one time around. Not me too ambitious, riding in a car with the ac on is way good enough for me! lol

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,260
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

We were at the Grand Canyon Friday. I t was a very nice bright sunny day but not really hot. We didn't have time to ride the Mules down to the bottom and they'd have to take me out with an emergency helicopter flight if I did manage to walk to the bottom.

Once I've had time to get settled maybe I could post some photos so that people who have not been there can see how crazy it would be to walk it. It's fairly stable water wise now since they built the lake at the top of the canyon. They don't have the flooding as in the past, but also don't have periods of very low water They release a set amount each day.