• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  121
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,931
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  07/13/1955

You'd cry too if master went off and left you at home with no one there. Dogs were given by God as companions for men. They're loyal, they're brave, they're loving.

I have two (plus my step-sons' Pom) of my own. Silky is getting on in age. She could sleep through a nuclear war I think. Lucky is a young fella with a lot of years left God willing. When Lucky barks, there's always a reason. Always. That prompts me to go have a look. Most of the time, he's telling me that he and his sister need their water bowl refilled (yeah. he's THAT bright) or that a cat is passing by. He likes cats, just not strange ones prowling through the yard. Occasionally, the other pups in the hood will bark some odd message and he will just relay it (remember the 101 Dalmatians original book).

Dogs will howl if they're alone because they desire companionship of their master.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.62
  • Days Won:  2

jeffnevins

You do need to go pay your neighbor a visit. But don’t go over in an agitated mood. Do it when you are not upset and irritated about the situation or upset about unrelated events, because that will cause your neighbor to perceive you as an aggressor and less likely to comply with your need.

On this first visit, do get your neighbor’s phone number so you can call them when the barking starts. Never start your conversation with fault finding, blaming, or name calling of either the owner or their animal. The owner may not be aware of how loud their pet is, and that it is keeping you awake at night and you have to get up in the morning for work.

Keep in mind that dogs are social creatures, and when a owner leaves, the dog may be having some anxiety because its pack leader (owner) is away, and barking is a way of expressing this. Do tell your neighbor your sleep schedule so that your neighbor has an opportunity to remedy the situation. If a repeat visit is necessary, offer to help your neighbor find a solution. For example, you can suggest a “doggie day care”.

If you find that your neighbor is unwilling to remedy the situation, you will then need the help from authorities. But before you call them; keep a written log of dates and times and for how long the dog is barking. A recording of the dog barking is also helpful. Have this handy when the authority arrives to speak with you.

In this way, they will be in a better position to assist you. When you speak with authorities, do so without being agitated, fault finding, or name calling of the neighbor or their pet. Let him/her know that you have tried to speak with the neighbor, but have not come to an agreement. It is likely on their first visit and second visit with your neighbor that they will inform the neighbor to keep the dog quiet and not issue a citation. They want to give your neighbor a chance to comply.

And a final note, if you are speaking with other nearby neighbor’s, avoid being disrespectful in any way of both the annoying dog and its owner. In being polite, others will be more willing to sympathize with your situation and may be able to convince your noisy neighbor to find a solution.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,901
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  29

We have a neighbor that has two dogs....... when they bark, you better get your act together because there's something or someone outside. Some dogs are a real blessing..... and they've had them long enough for us to understand the difference in people being around or a raccoon or skunk of something.

They have one bark that makes me want to call the poilce instead of looking out the window.

some dogs are really really good.

I agree..it takes a lot of time to help train dogs. That's why I believe people should think twice before getting one.

My husband really invested in training his dogs..himself. If they barked..he had a tap he would do on the window..

and they would shut up..yet if they proceeded..something was up. Those dogs wouldn't even eat food off the ground..

or from anyone who may try to feed them..except him and our son.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

"Let sleeping dogs lie" Throw a bone at barking dogs and go back to bed and sleep.

You might just hit the problem on the head. :whistling:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

"Let sleeping dogs lie" Throw a bone at barking dogs and go back to bed and sleep.

Yep, or....

Take a 12 inch piece of garden hose. Insert in dogs rear end.

When it barks it can't get compression and instead of WOOF, you get a gentle woooshh sound....... :whistling:

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

Yep, or....

Take a 12 inch piece of garden hose. Insert in dogs rear end.

When it barks it can't get compression and instead of WOOF, you get a gentle woooshh sound....... :whistling:

We have a hose pipe ban here in the UK. :unsure:

It's done nothing but rain all this month. :20:

Plus, I think the RSPCA might have something to say about your idea :24: :24:

Other parts of the globe might resolve the said problem in unorthodox ways :wacko:

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,683
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/14/1962

This is a problem I have to deal with on a daily basis, only a barking dog might not be as bad as the sounds I have to contend with. Working 3rd shift, I sleep in the afternoon, and Sunday is especially the hardest with my inconsiderate neighbors playing mariachi music out of their pickups so loud it shakes the house, running their weedeater for hours on end, then following that up with vacuuming out their pickups for hours (that should take 20 minutes or so max?) then sending their screaming children to play in my front yard right outside my bedroom window. After they get done with that, they race their motorcycles up and down the street, and I don't mean Suzukis, I mean Harleys. Really mean people. Sometimes I wake up after only 15 minutes of sleep, and am so groggy from lack of sleep, I'm afraid I might wreck my bicycle on the way to the train station going to work.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

This is a problem I have to deal with on a daily basis, only a barking dog might not be as bad as the sounds I have to contend with. Working 3rd shift, I sleep in the afternoon, and Sunday is especially the hardest with my inconsiderate neighbors playing mariachi music out of their pickups so loud it shakes the house, running their weedeater for hours on end, then following that up with vacuuming out their pickups for hours (that should take 20 minutes or so max?) then sending their screaming children to play in my front yard right outside my bedroom window. After they get done with that, they race their motorcycles up and down the street, and I don't mean Suzukis, I mean Harleys. Really mean people. Sometimes I wake up after only 15 minutes of sleep, and am so groggy from lack of sleep, I'm afraid I might wreck my bicycle on the way to the train station going to work.

I got some ideas from back in the day.

But they are not very Christian.......

Shoot me, but there are times when don't you feel that prayer is just not working?

I know the answer to that, but I too have next door neighbors from the dark side. Mine too is loud music, screaming parties and recently a drug bust for selling cocaine. Thankfully they are just far enough away to make the noise bearable.

Here's the kicker people. The place is a backpackers lodge, low end and cheap. Most of the backpackers are in their late teens, early 20's and they are predominantly American...

Mothers lock up your daughters. During the day they are in town in small packs of about 6 or 7. Shopping, going on game drives, etc. They all dress (summer here), in short shorts, skimpy tops and sound like small flocks of budgies when they walk past.

It would seem like a bunch of kids enjoying themselves.....

But come the night and the party starts. Screaming, shouting, music, and aggression from the shirtless males if someone goes there to complain. Excessive drinking, drug use, and worst of all, I have seen a few of them hand in hand with the young Zulu guides from the game drive companies.

Taking into account that we have a HIV positive rate of nearly 45% among our local population, it is frightening....

Prayer is all we have!

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  85
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,874
  • Content Per Day:  0.34
  • Days Won:  12
  • Birthday:  07/08/1955

A neighbor, has barking dogs, why are the dogs barking, maybe there is a big problem over there too.

Why do you not know your neighbor? Are you scared that they will reject you? I know my neighbors, sometimes I wish I didn't but I do and we keep and eye out for each others property and other stuff. In the old days we used to know the people all around us and everyone helped all, if one went away, we would feed the live stock and milk the cows.

Who is your neighbor.

Just a thought.~~~Dennis

Good point Shep, I remember those days when everybody knew the neighbors and their dogs. The problem now days is everybody lives in the fast lane, and don't take the time to meet their neighbors. In the old days, the immediate world around a person may have been five miles, now it is more like one hundred miles.

Modern technology isn't all that it is cracked up to be.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.11
  • Days Won:  78

Brother, you need to MOVE......:o