Misconceptions about where you live.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

There is more than corn in Indiana....we got beans and cereal seed too!

Gary

Woot, woot, Indiana! "The Hoosier State"

I Love our States, we all should, but have a big problem with the Federal government, if it doesn't submit to the states as the source of it's power.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  20
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.14
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  04/30/1971

We all agree that Texas is pretty much a place unto itself. The only problem I have with them is their utter confusion over what BBQ actually is. For the uninformed, BBQ is smoked, pulled pork. Nothing else. Beef Brisket is NOT BBQ. It is, however, very, very tasty. Which is why hubby and I routinely smoke both brisket and pork so we can stuff it into the freezer for the long winter months! :38:

My Dad is a Texan, and my dad complains all the time about what "Southerners" call BBQ. BBQ is not sweet, nor is it chunks of meat drowned in sauce. It's slabs of meat slow cooked over a grill with BBQ sauce as a coating.

See, I don't like my BBQ sweet. I'm a fan of spicy food, especially my BBQ. I also don't like my BBQ drowning in sauce. I always add my sauce on top of my sandwich. And smoked brisket is so good that I'll eat it plain right out of the smoker.

Tell your dad it could be worse. Up here in Yankee-land, they think BBQ is ground beef with sauce in it. Basically, Sloppy Joes. [shiver]

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

I live in Texas. The only cowboys you'll see wear stars on their helmets. If you want to see cowboys, go to Washington state.

We have cowboys and Indians out here in Arizona.

That dry heat thing, big misconception. Dry heat or not its still HOT and folks die in it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

Wow, OtherOne!

I've only driven past Antietem, but never got to visit it. Antietem is in rural Western MD. I live in Suburban-Metropolitan Central MD. :(

As small as Maryland is, isnt that about a 20 minute drive? It takes an hour to drive across Phoenix, if you take fast routes.

• Topic Count:  331
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  5,961
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  0

I have never seen cowboys in helmets. :cowboy:

Watch a rodeo.

I've seen young bull riders and bucking horse riders wear helmets.

Everyone should ride a bull. ........... once...

I've never rode a bull, but I've been chased by one several times........ :biggrin2:

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  856
  • Content Per Day:  0.18
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/22/1997

Everyone seems to think it's freezing in Canada all the time... it isn't. It can get pretty cold in some areas in the winter, but it's not like we're Eskimos all year :blink:

And it gets pretty hot here too... Ontario in the summer is major heat and humidity, Saskatchewan is scorching heat wi/out humidity. The only neutral province is BC - they get rain in the winter and a lovely -10 if it's a bad year... maybe 2 inches of snow at the most. I haven't been there for the summer, though, so can't clear that up.

As far as beavers and moose, you don't see them too often, even in Ontario. And maple trees only grow with the rest of the trees... in Ontario and a few in BC. There is plenty of water on the eastern and western sides of the country, and practically none in between. The mountains in BC are stunning. Awesome variety of landscape, but not so much of culture. And we aren't all rich up here either :blink:

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

As small as Maryland is, isnt that about a 20 minute drive? It takes an hour to drive across Phoenix, if you take fast routes.

LOL! Nowhere close, especially the Baltimore-DC corridor and Beltways during rush hour.

To travel the highway between Baltimore and DC can be anywhere from 40 min - 1 hour when not backed-up.

• Group:  Nonbeliever
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  720
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  08/27/1966

Woot, woot, Wyoming. I would like to talk to y'all awhile about Wyoming. :soapbox:

Power to the State's, not the Federal Government.

I drove across Wyoming last summer. No offense, but it is the biggest bunch of nothing one could imagine. Mile after endless mile. It is Nevada without Las Vegas. Borrrrrrrrr-ing!

CANADA

Common misperception is that everything is frozen and people live in igloos. Truth is that about 85 percent of the population lives within two hours of the US border. So it's not much different than the northern part of the US. Farms, prairies, mountains, coastline. Winters can be cold, summers are gorgeous.

Common misperception is that Canadians are uneducated. Canada is actually one of the most educated, advanced societies in the world.

Common misperception is that most Canadians speak French. French is rarely spoken west of Quebec, although official government documents are in both English and French.

I live in Texas. The only cowboys you'll see wear stars on their helmets. If you want to see cowboys, go to Washington state.

Eastern Washington or Montana, yes. West of the Cascade Mountains, near Seattle, no. Not a chance.