Do you prefer the Bible in modern or Shakespearean English

SemperFidelis07

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the Bible in modern or Shakespearean English

• Shakespearean
    • Modern
    • Doesn't matter/depends
    • English isn't my primary language

Hey Monarchy I wasn't trying to offend brother. Thank you for forgiving me in advance but I do apologize. I was merely pointing out that some Christians believe that the KJV is the best and only translation one should read in English.

I am very well familiar with old defense against the "KJV-onlyism" bunch, the tagging, the condemnation, the misrepresenting, et al.., but Iron sharpeneth Iron and I have faith in that we will grow into a richer relationship.

I am not interested in Walla's "explanation", it's the same old prejudice, falsely accusing me, it just more hacking up the Body of Christ - Christ is not divided.

Interesting remarks, Monarchy. I was not attacking you, but the example seemed appropriate and I stand by what I said.

Sad, but you seem to be judging me out of hand because I don't agree with you. I will say it again: I was not attacking you or "hacking up the body of Christ." We have a difference of opinion on a nonsalvation issue and call me what you will, judge me however you will, you only supply more reasons why I won't be changing my mind all that soon on that issue. You seem to have become an example of it.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

I use the a shelf full of different translations. When I study, and there is a difference in understanding between translations by how they are worded, I return to the Hebrew and Greek for clarification, though it is not always as clear as I would like. Above all, I trust the teaching of His Spirit within as I read and study, even when I do research. My ability to understand the true meaning in His words are weak compared to His. I take what I learn and discuss it with others for accountability, which is wise for all to do.

There is one warning I will give, not all "bibles" are true translations. Research what you have to see if it is a translation or one mans interpretation. There are some that carry the title of Bible on the cover that are not what is found in the codex's, but added to, taken away from ,or just interpretations.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

I also want to warn everyone to keep this civil. If this thread turns into another bible bashing thread, it will be closed. We have more than our share of these types of thread in the archives.

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.98
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

I would prefer my bible to be a perfect paraphrase of the original spoken word in the dialect of English which I myself clearly understand as an individual in every jot and tittle but rather than cumber God for a personal translation of his Holy Writ, I settle for him to give me understanding of that which was translated into English and revised over time that has an Old English feel that keeps it wholly separate to that which is common in our day...aka the KJV Cambridge Edition 1638, but I have sitting before me the Living Bible Paraphrased that my grandfather possessed in his time upon the earth which he studied by. I was able to enjoy reading the words "Humble men are very fortunate." in place of "Blessed are the poor in spirit." with an equally resounding Amen...

Blessed be all they who love the Lord Jesus Christ in truth....

Gary

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  44

I would prefer my bible to be a perfect paraphrase of the original spoken word in the dialect of English which I myself clearly understand as an individual in every jot and tittle but rather than cumber God for a personal translation of his Holy Writ, I settle for him to give me understanding of that which was translated into English and revised over time that has an Old English feel that keeps it wholly separate to that which is common in our day...aka the KJV Cambridge Edition 1638, but I have sitting before me the Living Bible Paraphrased that my grandfather possessed in his time upon the earth which he studied by. I was able to enjoy reading the words "Humble men are very fortunate." in place of "Blessed are the poor in spirit." with an equally resounding Amen...

Blessed be all they who love the Lord Jesus Christ in truth....

Gary

Good thoughts Gary. :thumbsup:

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

Hey Monarchy I wasn't trying to offend brother. Thank you for forgiving me in advance but I do apologize. I was merely pointing out that some Christians believe that the KJV is the best and only translation one should read in English.

I am very well familiar with old defense against the "KJV-onlyism" bunch, the tagging, the condemnation, the misrepresenting, et al.., but Iron sharpeneth Iron and I have faith in that we will grow into a richer relationship.

I am not interested in Walla's "explanation", it's the same old prejudice, falsely accusing me, it just more hacking up the Body of Christ - Christ is not divided.

It's strict KJV Onlyists causing the division. There is no big issue until KJV Onlyists start bashing every Bible except the KJV. This is what's offensive and divisive. You're not as radical and focused on this issue as you used to be, and I give thanks for that.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32

It's strict KJV Onlyists causing the division. There is no big issue until KJV Onlyists start bashing every Bible except the KJV. This is what's offensive and divisive. You're not as radical and focused on this issue as you used to be, and I give thanks for that.

I never attacked anyone, I only attacked the Codex Sinaiticus and the post year 1900s modern version's. I cease because three or more moderators whom I consider friends saw my fact-giving as an attack and there was such a clamor over it that and because I and others put the facts out there, we had said it all, so didn't see any point in proceeding. I know too much to have just been quiet when I started laying out the truth and the Devil railed on me for messing up his work.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  438
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  2,947
  • Content Per Day:  0.53
  • Birthday:  04/18/1949

I never attacked anyone, I only attacked the Codex Sinaiticus and the post year 1900s modern version's. I cease because three or more moderators whom I consider friends saw my fact-giving as an attack and there was such a clamor over it that and because I and others put the facts out there, we had said it all, so didn't see any point in proceeding. I know too much to have just been quiet when I started laying out the truth and the Devil railed on me for messing up his work.

It took three moderators to convince you of something that should have been obvious. Opinion giving is what you were doing. You validated my post and confirmed that what they say about KJV Onlyists is correct. I can't believe that you just said that every Bible translated past 1900 is a work of the devil. That's sad - I'll pray for you.

Ephesians 1:18-23 NASB I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, 19 and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe. These are in accordance with the working of the strength of His might 20 which He brought about in Christ, when He raised Him from the dead and seated Him at His right hand in the heavenly places, 21 far above all rule and authority and power and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this age but also in the one to come. 22 And He put all things in subjection under His feet, and gave Him as head over all things to the church, 23 which is His body, the fullness of Him who fills all in all.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32

They didn't convince me of wrong doing, because I wasn't doing wrong, just push off.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  13
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  2,054
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Days Won:  2

*cringe*

While I'm definitely partial to KJV, I think Romans 14 applies here. Arguing over this is not likely to convince anyone of the other's point of view, but is more likely to simply harden those on each side of the question in the opinion they already hold. If one really wants to persuade others to accept (or even consider) the opinion one holds, one needs to reason with them, not quarrel with them.