• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Guest shiloh357

My family paid 32% of our income in federal taxes last year. The Romney's paid 12% of their income in federal taxes last year.

To be fair we need a flat tax.

If everyone paid my 32% or Romneys 12% it would be fair.

Tax revenue would increase and the deficit would go down.

So, I agree with the article. Raise taxes on the rich....I know they sure won't lower them for me.

First of all, the reason Romney's taxes were at 12% (more like 15%) was because he made him money from investments and investments have a lower Federal tax rage than wages and salaries. So it is not an issue of fairness at all. Romney earned his money that federal taxable rate of around 35% and the money he earned he invested and now only pays 15% on investments which is in keeping with federal law.

Raising the taxes on the rich will not produce much revenue at all. What WILL produce revenue is providing incentives for the rich to create business and grow existing business, thus requring the need to hire/rehire those who have lost jobs. You will get more revenue with a lower tax rate and larger tax base than taxing and penalzing the rich for being rich.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

As I understand it, giving to charitable causes gives one more tax write-offs. So, when calculating how much the rich paid in taxes, should one not also calculate how much of their income was charitable tax write-off?

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

I'm for a flat tax, same for everyone. If there's anyone here who still believes the super rich aren't getting a break that the rest of us don't.....I've got some oceanfront property in Amarillo I'd love to show you. :mgbowtie:

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,924
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  03/22/1953

This reminds me of an old song from the 70s from the group Ten Years After entitled "Change The World".

I've taken the liberty of bleeping the rather tame, but still PG rated lyrics, and the relevant part stands:

Everywhere is freaks and hairies

***** and *****, tell me where is sanity

Tax the rich, feed the poor

Till there are no rich no more

I'd love to change the world

But I don't know what to do

So I'll leave it up to you

Population keeps on breeding

Nation bleeding, still more feeding economy

Life is funny, skies are sunny

Bees make honey, who needs money, monopoly

World pollution, there's no solution

Institution, electrocution

Just black and white, rich or poor

Them and us, stop the war

Blessings!

-Ed

Those who provide jobs for others through their investments are directly and indirectly paying a much higher proportion of our nations debt. The tax rate is lower as an inducement to create productive jobs which the Federal government can not do. I see no reason why this activity shouldn't be rewarded instead of penalized?

Desiring that someone with a higher economic standing to be treated unfairly is called "envy" and is a form of greed. Our Constitution (and our Bible) says that all people should be treated equally. Why anyone thinks that giving the government more money is a good idea is beyond me. That "extra" revenue is going to line the pockets of union bosses and politicians. How does that help anyone unless they are a politician or union boss?

I also agree on a flat tax...and I think everyone should have to pay it like they would any other bill; you get a statement explaining exactly what you are being charged for and how much exactly.

We'd have a revolution by the second month of this....

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

The Bible describes our attitude towards our neighbors income in envy as covetousness. It also describes it as greed to want to possess what he/she does. Meanwhile, the Bible also tells us to be content with the little that we do have.

• Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Desiring that someone with a higher economic standing to be treated unfairly is called "envy" and is a form of greed. Our Constitution (and our Bible) says that all people should be treated equally. Why anyone thinks that giving the government more money is a good idea is beyond me. That "extra" revenue is going to line the pockets of union bosses and politicians. How does that help anyone unless they are a politician or union boss?

Good perspective Yod.

• Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  1,022
  • Content Count:  39,193
  • Content Per Day:  6.09
  • Days Won:  78

The Bible describes our attitude towards our neighbors income in envy as covetousness. It also describes it as greed to want to possess what he/she does. Meanwhile, the Bible also tells us to be content with the little that we do have.

No one said they were envious, Dave. Just that the rich get breaks and perks that we regular people don't......there's nothing wrong with wanting a fair shake for everyone. :mgbowtie:

• Topic Count:  1,285
  • Content Count:  17,917
  • Content Per Day:  2.27
  • Days Won:  19

No one said they were envious, Dave. Just that the rich get breaks and perks that we regular people don't......there's nothing wrong with wanting a fair shake for everyone. :mgbowtie:

As explained by Shiloh, the reason for Romneys tax rate is that it was investment income. He already paid taxes when he initially earned it. Of course "The Daily Kos" doesn't tell you that when they stir up envy and strife. They also don't say such things about men like George Soros. Seems pretty fair to me that is unless someone is just seeking to see the rich soaked.

The fact remains that if the Leftists get what they want we will have a worse economy than we currently do. You don't punish the achievers and the job producers without punishing every one. That is exactly why it's envy.

That's the most horrid thing about sin. It has a negative effect on every one involved. It is degenerative as well.

By the way, no one pointed out anyone in particular with the envy statement. What was stated is that the Bible speaks quite clearly on envy, covetousness, greed, and being content with your lot in life.

Sounds like your argument is with scripture and not me.