GlidingWings

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  169
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  345
  • Content Per Day:  0.08
  • Days Won:  4

Recently I read an article that a boy in the scouts was raised by a Father who is Atheist. The Young Boy scout refused to acknowledge God. And I think the scout was either suspended or dismissed. His Father might be filing a case on this.

I have 2 questions in General. We as Christians would not want an Atheist at any School Government or any program to force us to believe there is no God.

Did the Boy scouts have a right to force the boy into believing in God? I mean He is a young child yet and learning. Maybe set by good example maybe over time He could have believed shown by examples of the scouts.

Also I want to know how the scouts became a part of the Christian aspect working along side with Church organizations. Their belief in God was scouts formed out of a certain Church to begin with?

Have any of you been in the scouts before? What was it like being in the Scouts? Or if you have not been in the scouts what do you know about them?

Ok I asked more than 2 questions. Not untypical for me. I always end up writing more than a first intend.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2219513/Atheist-schoolboy-11-banned-joining-Scouts-refuses-swear-duty-God.html

Edited by GlidingWings

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

The scouts are not like the govt. They do not need to have a separation of church and state.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Lord Baden Powell started the Boy Scout movement stemming from war fought between South African farmers and the British army when South Africa was fighting Britain for independence.

The first code of conduct in about 1904 stated they should be taught the following..

(1) How to aim and shoot miniature rifles;

(2) How to judge distance;

(3) How to Scout;

(4) How to drill and skirmish, take cover etc.

Members of the squad were to sign a paper containing the following:-

(1) To fear God

(2) Honour the King

(3) Help the weak and distressed

(4) Reverence women and be kind to children;

(5) Train themselves to the use of arms for defense of their country

(6) sacrifice themselves, their amusements, their property, and, if necessary, their lives for the good of their fellow-countrymen.

A promise was to be made; I promise on my honour, to be loyal to the King and to back up my commander in carrying out our duty in each of the above particulars.

Although Scouting has changed greatly since 1904, I guess the To fear God still applies (and so it should).

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,248
  • Content Per Day:  7.98
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Did the Boy scouts have a right to force the boy into believing in God? I mean He is a young child yet and learning. Maybe set by good example maybe over time He could have believed shown by examples of the scouts.

The scouts did not try to force the boy into believing in God.

He was told that a belief in God was a requirement for entrance into the Scouts. This is not a secret or something that people find out about after being a part of the scouts for years, this is open and done first.

The Scouts are a private organization and have every right under our constitution to set membership standards.

I would sign my blood to this page! Those who do not choose to believe in the reality of God 'IS' God given.... but light and darkness does not mix! Love, Steven

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  0

The Boy Scouts of America is a private orginization. As such, they can set the standard for membership. Each member of the Boy Scouts must swear to the following Oath, and agree to obey the following law. If the member does not abide by the oath or law, the can lose their membership.

The Boy Scouts have successfully defended their position on homosexuality based upon the "morally straight" clause of the pledge. Since the Oath also recognizes God, and the Law stipulates that all Boy Scouts are to be reverant, Athiests are also not allowed.

btw... I'm an Eagle Scout.

The Scout Oath

On my honor I will do my best

To do my duty to God and my country

and to obey the Scout Law;

To help other people at all times;

To keep myself physically strong,

mentally awake, and morally straight.

The Scout Law

Trustworthy,

Loyal,

Helpful,