• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  3,102
  • Content Per Day:  0.48
  • Days Won:  6
  • Birthday:  11/07/1984

Because there is so much confusion between the old testiment and the new testiment concerning prophets and prophecy. Here's a short guide to help bring more clarity.

• In the Old Covenant, prophets would receive the direct word of God, “Thus says the Lord,” and were trusted to speak only the words He spoke.
    • They often would pronounce God’s judgment and wrath upon disobedience and violently fight for righteousness and holiness with passionate zeal and hatred for evil.

1 Kings 18:38 Then the fire of the Lord fell and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood and the stones and the dust, and it licked up the water that was in the trench. 39 Now when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces; and they said, “The Lord, He is God! The Lord, He is God!”

40 And Elijah said to them, “Seize the prophets of Baal! Do not let one of them escape!” So they seized them; and Elijah brought them down to the Brook Kishon and executed them there.
      • In the old covenant, the Word of the Lord often negated the individuals will.

2 Samuel 19:20 Then Saul sent messengers to take David. And when they saw the group of prophets prophesying, and Samuel standing as leader over them, the Spirit of God came upon the messengers of Saul, and they also prophesied. 21 And when Saul was told, he sent other messengers, and they prophesied likewise. Then Saul sent messengers again the third time, and they prophesied also. 22 Then he also went to Ramah, and came to the great well that is at Sechu. So he asked, and said, “Where are Samuel and David?”

And someone said, “Indeed they are at Naioth in Ramah.” 23 So he went there to Naioth in Ramah. Then the Spirit of God was upon him also, and he went on and prophesied until he came to Naioth in Ramah.

Jeremiah 20:9Then I said, “I will not make mention of Him,

Nor speak anymore in His name.”

But His word was in my heart like a burning fire

Shut up in my bones;

I was weary of holding it back,

And I could not.
        • In the Old Covenant, You judge the prophet by if what he said comes true. The penalty for a failed prophecy is death. They weren’t yet born of the spirit making them incapable to judge what is from the Spirit.

Deuteronomy 18:20 But the prophet who presumes to speak a word in My name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or who speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.’ 21 And if you say in your heart, ‘How shall we know the word which the Lord has not spoken?’— 22 when a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not happen or come to pass, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken; the prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

• In the New Covenant, we perceive what the Lord is saying and communicate it with our own words. When we speak a word over someone, it’s not the Word of God, but what we perceive the Holy Spirit is saying. We are sons and daughters of God, and so God likes to use us in our individual uniqueness as a part of communicating His heart to His people.

[*]In the new covenant, we are under the ministry of reconciliation. So we pronounce reconciliation to the Father instead of judgment. We have been commissioned to restore those who are blinded by darkness instead of condemn and judge them. Also, all judgment was handed over to Jesus, and Jesus said I judge no one until the day.

2 Corinthians 5:18 Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, 19 that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation.

John 5:22 For the Father judges no one, but has committed all judgment to the Son, 23 that all should honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father who sent Him.

John 12:47 And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world. 48 He who rejects Me, and does not receive My words, has that which judges him—the word that I have spoken will judge him in the last day.

[*]In the New Covenant, The spirit of the prophet is subject to the prophet. That means that because we have the option to prophecy or to stay silent our will is not negated.

1 Corinthians 14:32 And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. 33 For God is not the author of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

[*]In the New Covenant, You judge the prophecy and not the prophet. Because we perceive what the Lord is saying rather than receiving His direct words, the prophecies spoken must be judged and because we now have the Holy Spirit living with us, joined with our spirits, we can properly discern what is from the Lord.

1 Corinthians 14:29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge. 30 But if anything is revealed to another who sits by, let the first keep silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn 8and all may be encouraged.

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.19
  • Days Won:  115

I have seen where others claim they can teach a gift, such as the gift of prophecy. This is not scriptural, for we do not "learn" any of the gifts through any schooling, but by allowing Him to work in and through us. Schools teach us to take "our" skills and polish them for better usage. Allowing Him to use us a vessel requires no "schooling", but a willing heart to be humble before God so He do work His will through us.

I have seen where others claim they can teach a gift, such as the gift of prophecy. This is not scriptural, for we do not "learn" any of the gifts through any schooling, but by allowing Him to work in and through us. Schools teach us to take "our" skills and polish them for better usage. Allowing Him to use us a vessel requires no "schooling", but a willing heart to be humble before God so He do work His will through us.

AMEN!

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

Matthew 5:17

[ Christ Fulfills the Law ] “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

Matthew 10:7-9

7 And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead,[a] cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. 9 Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts,

John 9

1As He passed along, He noticed a man blind from his birth.

2 His disciples asked Him, Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he should be born blind?

3 Jesus answered, It was not that this man or his parents sinned, but he was born blind in order that the workings of God should be manifested (displayed and illustrated) in him.

4 We must work the works of Him Who sent Me and be busy with His business while it is daylight; night is coming on, when no man can work.

5 As long as I am in the world, I am the world’s Light.

6 When He had said this, He spat on the ground and made clay (mud) with His saliva, and He spread it [as ointment] on the man’s eyes.

7 And He said to him, Go, wash in the Pool of Siloam—which means Sent. So he went and washed, and came back seeing

John 2

1 On the third day there was a wedding at Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there.

2 Jesus also was invited with His disciples to the wedding.

3 And when the wine was all gone, the mother of Jesus said to Him, They have no more wine!

4 Jesus said to her, [[a]Dear] woman, what is that to you and to Me? [What do we have in common? Leave it to Me.] My time (hour to act) has not yet come.

5 His mother said to the servants, Whatever He says to you, do it.

6 Now there were six waterpots of stone standing there, as the Jewish custom of purification (ceremonial washing) demanded, holding twenty to thirty gallons apiece.

7 Jesus said to them, Fill the waterpots with water. So they filled them up to the brim.

8 Then He said to them, Draw some out now and take it to the manager of the feast [to the one presiding, the superintendent of the banquet]. So they took him some.

9 And when the manager tasted the water just now turned into wine, not knowing where it came from—though the servants who had drawn the water knew—he called the bridegroom

10 And said to him, Everyone else serves his best wine first, and when people have drunk freely, then he serves that which is not so good; but you have kept back the good wine until now!

Jesus sets the example here of doing things that are definitely out there, in the new testament, and He gives us, His disciples, the authority to do the same things. The blind man let Jesus put His saliva-mixed-mud on his eyes and obeyed by washing in the pool of Siloam; the servants obeyed by filling jars of water so He could turn them into wine. If He gives me something i think is crazy to do, i better do regardless of what my logic is telling me. what about the 3000 people that Peter evangelised to, who spoke in tongues en mass - should they have not, simply because it wasn't expect at that time? The Holy Spirit works whenever, however He wants, regardless of covenant, old age, new age, outdated, modern, whatever time or place. that's all i'm saying.

Jesus sets the example here of doing things that are definitely out there, in the new testament, and He gives us, His disciples, the authority to do the same things. The blind man let Jesus put His saliva-mixed-mud on his eyes and obeyed by washing in the pool of Siloam; the servants obeyed by filling jars of water so He could turn them into wine. If He gives me something i think is crazy to do, i better do regardless of what my logic is telling me. what about the 3000 people that Peter evangelised to, who spoke in tongues en mass - should they have not, simply because it wasn't expect at that time? The Holy Spirit works whenever, however He wants, regardless of covenant, old age, new age, outdated, modern, whatever time or place. that's all i'm saying.

Amen! I agree.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,800
  • Content Per Day:  6.16
  • Days Won:  58

Im curious joshua. The ot prophets were expected to be 100% accurate. Are you suggesting that since the prophets today are different than the ot prophets that they do not have to be 100% accurate? Ive heard some folks claim that prophets today can be in error. I find that difficult to believe. That He would permit error in His prophets today does not seem likely.

Im curious joshua. The ot prophets were expected to be 100% accurate. Are you suggesting that since the prophets today are different than the ot prophets that they do not have to be 100% accurate? Ive heard some folks claim that prophets today can be in error. I find that difficult to believe. That He would permit error in His prophets today does not seem likely.

I think that there is a big difference in how they prophesy. The Old testament prophets received the direct word of God. They were responsible for saying God’s very words and the people did not have the Holy Spirit dwelling in them to judge if the word was from the Lord or not. The test, if their prophesy fails, they die.

In under the new covenant, we perceive what the Spirit is saying rather than say God’s direct words. We are instructed to judge the prophecy rather than the prophet. If a prophecy is judged incorrect, the person who gave it is given a chance to be corrected and edified so he can hear the Lord clearer. This is grace. We wouldn’t stone someone for missing a prophecy but help them and encourage them to draw closer to the Lord.

1 Corinthians 14:29 Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others judge.”

1 Thessalonians 5:19 Do not quench the Spirit. 20 Do not despise prophecies. 21 Test all things; hold fast what is good. 22 Abstain from every form of evil.

With prophecy, I’ve learned that the closer I am to the Lord, the clearer I can hear what He’s saying and the better I can communicate it. When I’m feeling drained or haven’t spent much time soaking in His presence, prophecy seems clouded. So, our personal intimacy with the Lord plays a big part in prophetic accuracy. Also, the interpretation belongs to the Lord so when we receive a word or a vision and not what it means, it’s easy to use our natural mind to add a meaning. I’ve seen this happen a lot.

One thing that has helped me personally grow the most in the prophetic, is understanding that if I fail, I can get up and try again. On the street, at first I’d get clear words of knowledge over people, but sometimes I’ll be off. The more I practice and walk it out, the more accurate I become. Now, the Lord has been opening up way more clarity on the street and praying over people at our home group, but it took growing into it and learning how to hear the voice of the Spirit.

When we prophesy, we can receive from many different sources; our soul can tell us what we want to hear because of our unrenewed minds. As we renew our minds, we hear Him with greater clarity over our own thoughts. Also, I’ve seen someone with a spirit attached to them, and that spirit caused a whole group of accurate prophetic believers to miss with what they receive. It takes growing in intimacy and being sensitive to the Holy Spirit to gain discernment over this.

A prophet should be extreemly accurate. They usually are someone extremely matured in the prophetic gifting, but they still can stumble and fall in sin. They still can give an off word just as they can still stumble in their flesh. I’ve heard of some modern day prophets who fell in the flesh and because people put their hope in the prophet instead of the Lord, there was a lot of damage done. With prophets, what they say should still be judged and discerned.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  158
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  0

Matthew 5:17

[ Christ Fulfills the Law ] “Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

Matthew 10:7-9

7 And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’ 8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead,[a] cast out demons. Freely you have received, freely give. 9 Provide neither gold nor silver nor copper in your money belts,

John 9

1As He passed along, He noticed a man blind from his birth.

2 His disciples asked Him, Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he should be born blind?

3 Jesus answered, It was not that this man or his parents sinned, but he was born blind in order that the workings of God should be manifested (displayed and illustrated) in him.

4 We must work the works of Him Who sent Me and be busy with His business while it is daylight; night is coming on, when no man can work.

5 As long as I am in the world, I am the world’s Light.

6 When He had said this, He spat on the ground and made clay (mud) with His saliva, and He spread it [as ointment] on the man’s eyes.

7 And He said to him, Go, wash in the Pool of Siloam—which means Sent. So he went and washed, and came back seeing

John 2

1 On the third day there was a wedding at Cana of Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there.

2 Jesus also was invited with His disciples to the wedding.

3 And when the wine was all gone, the mother of Jesus said to Him, They have no more wine!

4 Jesus said to her, [[a]Dear] woman, what is that to you and to Me? [What do we have in common? Leave it to Me.] My time (hour to act) has not yet come.

5 His mother said to the servants, Whatever He says to you, do it.

6 Now there were six waterpots of stone standing there, as the Jewish custom of purification (ceremonial washing) demanded, holding twenty to thirty gallons apiece.

7 Jesus said to them, Fill the waterpots with water. So they filled them up to the brim.

8 Then He said to them, Draw some out now and take it to the manager of the feast [to the one presiding, the superintendent of the banquet]. So they took him some.

9 And when the manager tasted the water just now turned into wine, not knowing where it came from—though the servants who had drawn the water knew—he called the bridegroom

10 And said to him, Everyone else serves his best wine first, and when people have drunk freely, then he serves that which is not so good; but you have kept back the good wine until now!

I would be interested in where it says the 3000 that were saved in Acts 2 spoke in tongues.

Joshua-777

I have not followed all your post but where is the scripture to support your view on prophets today can be in error and they get better by practice. I don't recall ever reading any thing that comes close to that in scripture.

Edited by allofgrace

I have not followed all your post but where is the scripture to support your view on prophets today can be in error and they get better by practice. I don't recall ever reading any thing that comes close to that in scripture.

Romans 12:6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith

Do we grow in faith? We prophesy in proportion to our faith. Sometimes we can step out and take a risk, but not have enough faith to complete the task for example Peter stepping on the water, or the demon the disciples couldn't cast out because of their measure of faith in Mark 9. Same when we prophesy.

• Followers:  16
  • Topic Count:  154
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  3,245
  • Content Per Day:  0.77
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/11/1984

I would be interested in where it says the 3000 that were saved in Acts 2 spoke in tongues.

oh, i see the mistake. thanks. the 3000 were saved because of the gospel preached to them upon hearing their own different tongues being spoken by the 12 apostles miraculously by the holy spirit. my point is the Holy Spirit moves in power however, whenever He wants:)