• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

This thread was started due to discussion: http://www.worthychr.../page__st__20

Is God Omniscient (all knowing)? (See Psalm 139:2-6; Isaiah 40:13-14 to start out the discussion)

Interested in your thoughts and of course Biblical backing. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  68
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  1,384
  • Content Per Day:  0.37
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  02/22/1996

Yes, I do believe that GOD is all knowing.

Psalm 139:4

"“There is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.”

David explains that God knows his thoughts, He knows the words before they are spoken.

1 Corinthians 3:18-19

"Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you seemeth to be wise in this world, let him become a fool, that he may be wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.”

We think this world is perplex, but to the LORD it is foolishness! This is just the beginning of understanding that God's knowledge has no limits!

1 John 3:19-20

"And by this we know that we are of truth and shall assure our hearts before Him. For if our hearts condemn us. God is greater than our hearts, and knows all things."

Not just some things but ALL things.

Job 37:16

"Do you know how the clouds are balanced, Those wondrous works of Him who is perfect in knowledge."

If God wasn't omniscient (all knowing) then His knowledge would not be perfect!

Psalm 147:5

"Great is our LORD and mighty in power: His understanding is infinite"

His understanding is infinite! Some think that God has limitations in His knowledge but that is not so. Surely He knows all things.

Mind sharing those verses?

John 10:14-15

"I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own. As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father, and I lay down my life for the little sheep"

Now one could argue the inference of this verse, but verse 15 brings it into terms when Christ draws this conclusion into the relationship that of His Father.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

Does he know what each man will do and the choices they make? Possibly not, We have many scriptures that say he does not, making man responsible for their actions and choices.

Just because God knows what a man will choose does not make the man any less responsible for his choice. Sin is like a drug. If you observed a drug addict in a room with food or drugs and he was to choose one or the other, "knowing" he would choose drugs does not make the observer complicit.

Edited by GoldenEagle
<<<To fix quoting format>>>

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  200
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,602
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  8
  • Birthday:  01/01/1986

name='Tinky' timestamp='1359482411' post='1913839']

Just because God knows what a man will choose does not make the man any less responsible for his choice. Sin is like a drug. If you observed a drug addict in a room with food or drugs and he was to choose one or the other, "knowing" he would choose drugs does not make the observer complicit.

The scriptures give clear examples of What God knows about what man will choose. One thing God knows is the heart. He would know what choice a person may make because their heart is filled with it. Still, a person has a right to choose Good, or choose bad. In King Hezekiah's Case, he choose bad, and his Heart was not so good. God sent Isiah to let the king know death is coming and get his house in Order.

God knew this based on the Kings heart. The King turned to the wall and repented though. God changed what he said, based on the man's action. Jesus said help the tree, don't cut it down. It may start to produce fruit, and if not, cut it down. Once again the Lord is telling us there is no foreknowing on God's part, what the tree's action will be.

God's plan is Help the tree make the right choices. Yet, God has to judge and afflict unwilling if that tree does not make the right choices. It's never his plan or will to do so.

1Co 7:16 For what knowest thou, O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou, O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

Does my faith in my spouse being saved, override her God giving right to choose life or death? Would God even override and break his own word?

Just saying God knew the whole time does not line up with a whole bunch of scriptures and make us miss who our Father really is. It also puts the responsibility in our laps to believe and trust him.

Jesus Is Lord.

Just to be clear, let me ask you this: Did God have to wait with the rest of us to find out what you would write in your last post?

Edited by GoldenEagle
<<<To fix quote format...>>>

Hey Brother!!! Sorry, Golden Eagle started some new topics that have been dead horses for years. There are lots and lots of verses. I have made it my goal to not allow man's doctrine interpret the word for me. I can't say I have perfected anything, but I keep it in mind. I never want to miss our Father revealing himself to us through His Word. Lot's of these doctrines erase that Father Son/Daughter relationship, or at best make it impossible to understand our Father.

<snip>

I would encourage you brother to look into the meaning of omniscient (all knowing) because this went from that to predestination.

The Truth:

Your adding a meaning to what is said. The actions from which man chooses are recorded, yes, for when judgement comes they will be held accountable for. (Hebrews 4:13)

God is not a Seer or a Fore-teller:

I strongly disagree. I have numerous personal accounts that say otherwise, but scripture will be best, so shall it be.

Question here, so how can it be that God speaks to the people in the bible,. gives them a vision of what their future withholds, yet He cannot see into the future? That contradicts itself. If you would like examples I will be happy to provide them.

Again, your adding to the scripture, it is 100% true that GOD commands the end from the beginning. (IMO) This not only brings light to the fact that of Gods power but also that He knows ALL things. The bible is filled with prophecy, stuff that has happened and things still to come! If God did not know the course of life then how could this withstand?

No, no, no. This ties into Freewill, GOD does know our actions, thoughts ect. but because His love is pure, He cannot force these things upon us, it has to be our choice to love Him in return.

Again, your still adding and taking away from scripture. God said He KNEW! Not He planned, but He KNEW.

And I agree with that closing statement. We agree on this completely, but this just adds to the Mercy and Love God has for us, this does not support your belief by any means.

God does not create imperfection or Failure:

Like each of us, Satan has a purpose. I find it illogical to say that God did not already know that Satan would cause the fall of mankind. One could say, well then if GOD knew this then why did He continue in His creation? Again Brother, this ties into freewill.

I see GOD as all knowing, and I know so. From scripture (as stated above)

Again, we are talking about the things GOD knows, not predestination.

Man Forces God:

Not even going to touch on this one. This involves Predestination and is not the course of the OP.

God bless you Brother and look forward to your response.

Edited by GoldenEagle
<<< To add quote showing who this post is directed to... >>>

Mike, I would like you to address the scripture GE provided in the OP for the discussion if you would.

Now, it is below,. . . . LOL, Thank you GE.

Edited by your friend Jacob

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Mike, I would like you to address the scripture GE provided in the OP for the discussion if you would.

For the sake of discussion these are the two passages...

Ps. 139:2-6

2 You know my sitting down and my rising up;

You understand my thought afar off.

3 You comprehend my path and my lying down,

And are acquainted with all my ways.

4 For there is not a word on my tongue,

But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.

5 You have hedged me behind and before,

And laid Your hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;

It is high, I cannot attain it.

Isaiah 40:13-14

13 Who has directed the Spirit of the Lord,

Or as His counselor has taught Him?

14 With whom did He take counsel, and who instructed Him,

And taught Him in the path of justice?

Who taught Him knowledge,

And showed Him the way of understanding?

God bless,

GE

• Followers:  15
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  1,236
  • Content Per Day:  0.29
  • Birthday:  12/18/1970

Jer 32:26 Then came the word of the LORD unto Jeremiah, saying,

Jer 32:27 Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh: is there any thing too hard for me?

• Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  59
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  4,402
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  28
  • Birthday:  04/26/1971

God, as Mike understands him, does not know all things. And if you follow his train of thought through the scriptures, he has some compelling arguments to use to make his case. They are in error but I understand them. We have among us those who believe they ought only eat herbs as well and we are told to accept them but not for the purpose of disputing with them.

Yes, God is omniscient. He cannot be omnipotent without being omniscient because, as it is in truth, knowledge is power. If someone knew something God did not, then they have a chance to defeat God. God cannot miss a single detail. Mike will argue the point that the scripture says that God had no idea man would become so corrupt that he would destroy him with a flood. The error comes from not taking into consideration that God is spoken of in ways that help us to understand his position that seemingly reduce his ability.

In one scripture it talks about God coming down to Sodom to see if the cry of it is as it said, yet God doesn't have to go anywhere. Solomon understood this when he said that the heaven of heavens cannot contain God much less the little house he built. People get all mixed up concerning Jesus for the same reason. All of God cannot fit in a human body yet Jesus was God with us.

Satan loves these types of debates as they are divisive in nature and he can move brother against brother through their imaginations so that the house is divided and cannot stand. His favorites, the atheists, call it Christian on Christian crime and they eat it up because it destroys the Christians witness.

Gods knowledge far surpasses anything we can possibly dream up. David understood this and inquired at the mouth of the Lord concerning decisions Saul would make before he made them. God is so awesome in knowledge that he was able to make the lot come out as he desired when his people used it to understand the will of God in a matter.

I, for one, am definitely willing to cut slack on a topic such as this one due to the ease by which Satan can have his fun using the scriptures to make it seem like God is just some fool doing an experiment that might go bad since he doesn't actually know what he is doing or the outcome of his own actions. That would be a weak and pathetic God. Truth be known, there is a god who does not know everything. He is the god of this world.