IGNORED

Why is Dan not counted about the tribes of Israel.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  123
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,049
  • Content Per Day:  0.32
  • Days Won:  9

What did the tribe of Dad do to lose being one of the twelve tribes of Israel? Joseph's two sons make up for Dan.

I have nothing to add on this topic, hoping that it will open up good discussion.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.19
  • Days Won:  115

I have not ventured into the question, but I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

Amos 8:14

"Those who swear by the sin of Samaria, Who say, ‘As your god lives, O Dan!’ And, ‘As the way of Beersheba lives!’ They shall fall and never rise again.”

That's good!

Another judgement was, Reuben lost his first born birthright because he saw his father's nakedness.

1 Chronicles 5:1

Now the sons of Reuben the firstborn of Israel, (for he was the firstborn; but forasmuch as he defiled his father's bed, his birthright was given unto the sons of Joseph the son of Israel: and the genealogy is not to be reckoned after the birthright.

• Followers:  23
  • Topic Count:  133
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  2,864
  • Content Per Day:  0.61
  • Days Won:  2

Their actions during the time of the judges could be why they are not listed. In Judges 17 there is the story of Micah, but note that this is not the same person as the one listed in the book of Micah. For the book of Micah occurred in the time of the kings. It is my understanding that the Micah spoke of in judges was from the tribe of Ephraim and both Ephraim and Dan are missing from the 12 listed in revelation. Micah excepted an idol from his mother and along with it made his own ephod and made another man his priest.

As one continues to read into chapter 18 of judges, we see that the Danites had come upon this Micah’s home and took his idol and set it up. And because they had great difficulty in taking possession of their allotted land they turned instead and attacked a helpless and peaceful city that was not in the promised land. In conclusion both Ephraim and Dan never repented of their idolatry.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Days Won:  14

Dan is one of the 12 tribes - Joseph and Levi are not. Ephraim and Manasseh have taken their place.

Dan is one of the 12 tribes - Joseph and Levi are not. Ephraim and Manasseh have taken their place.

Spot on! :thumbsup::hurrah:

Stop the Jubilation, I take that back, Dan is not, Sugar.

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.94
  • Days Won:  14

You are wrong. Where do you see that Dan had his tribe removed? May I have chapter and verse please? If it were for idolatry - they all were worshiping idols and not just the tribe of Dan.

PS I am right.

• Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  506
  • Topics Per Day:  0.11
  • Content Count:  1,922
  • Content Per Day:  0.40
  • Days Won:  4

It appears that each time the tribes are listed one tribe is rotated out of the listing.

Some info found here:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Where_are_the_twelve_tribes_of_Israel_listed_in_the_Bible

I disagree with the statement that the tribes camped in a rectangular position. I believe they camped in the position of a cross, tabernacle included.

See it here:

http://lifeshandbook.wikidot.com/trivia:encampment-of-the-tribes

Well, to be honest I don't have it, it is something that I have always excepted I do know that in Revelations where it talks about the 144 thousand virgin Israeli men and the tribes they are from Dan is missing, Levi and Joseph is included. I can not answer your question, ~lambs~. You caught me in my ignorance.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Rev. 7

4 And I heard the number of those who were sealed, one hundred and forty-four thousand sealed from every tribe of the sons of Israel : 5 the tribe of Judah, twelve thousand were sealed, from the tribe of Reuben twelve thousand, from the tribe of Gad twelve thousand, 6 the tribe of Asher twelve thousand, from the tribe of Naphtali twelve thousand, from the tribe of Manasseh twelve thousand, 7 the tribe of Simeon twelve thousand, from the tribe of Levi twelve thousand, from the tribe of Issachar twelve thousand, 8 the tribe of Zebulun twelve thousand, from the tribe of Joseph twelve thousand, from the tribe of Benjamin, twelve thousand were sealed.

Originally, Joseph was split between Manasseh and Ephraim, and Levi was separated out.

Here Levi is included, "Ephraim" is listed as "Joseph" (I guess?), and Dan is missing.