• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  460
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/26/1990

I have just learned that an upperclassmen who's a friend of mine and has strong christian values was mobbed during his freshman year by the students of my school. He received hate mail and was frequently jeered at on the campus. This happened for four years ( I was a freshman two years after the incident). The reason for this is because he expressed his religious views meaning he was pro-life, anti-gay marriage and other views. This has shaken me a little. Not only was he (still is) a good friend but no one talked about the incident until a meeting to increase diversity on campus...this year after he has graduated. I had always felt a little like I wasn't wanted on the campus sometimes but now I'm really understanding what the animosity was about. I am christian and I read the bible. The majority of students don't like either. I am studying abroad now and will have to return in the summer and well I'm wondering what will be the best plan of action. I will always pray and no God will always be with me. I also know that this trial is just a test and that I am getting closer in my relationship with God. I guess the statement of a student basically being assaulted because of religious views is really daunting at times and the school is really charged as being pro-gay marriage...which I am against. So what should I do? Be quiet and keep my head down?

Guest SaffieGerm11

I do feel for you, as I live in a Muslim country where Christians are allowed to worship, but never openly so. I come from a home where I could open all my windows and doors and play Christian music whilst cleaning my house. And now when I dare to do it here, I sometimes feel like someone is going to knock on my door and give me grief for it. But these are the tests we are given, to make us stronger in our faith. Remember, God will never give you more than you can handle. And He will never lead you to it, if He doesn't have a plan to see you through it. We live in perilous times, where our faith will be tested and this is most certainly the times for us to be steadfast and stand true to what we believe in. You ask what you should do: be quiet and keep your head down? How do you know that God hasn't raised you for such a time as this? Remember Esther? God had planned all along for who she would become and what she would do for her people. And it was her biggest test to make her stand and have faith that God will do the rest. Perhaps God has put you in that school for exactly His purpose! So that you may show that God gives extravagant Grace to His people, for His extravagant Glory among all people. So that you may be His light in that school, so many others would come to repent of their sins and make their choice (as you have) for God to be their Saviour. Remember Psalms 150

Psalm 150 (NIV)

1 Praise the Lord.

Praise God in his sanctuary;

praise him in his mighty heavens.

2 Praise him for his acts of power;

praise him for his surpassing greatness.

3 Praise him with the sounding of the trumpet,

praise him with the harp and lyre,

4 praise him with timbrel and dancing,

praise him with the strings and pipe,

5 praise him with the clash of cymbals,

praise him with resounding cymbals.

6 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.

Praise the Lord.

Keep standing firm on your values and hold on to the faith you have in God. For as in 2 Chronicles 20:17 says "You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the Lord will give you, Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the Lord will be with you." (NIV)

I pray that you will allow God to work in you, so that He may work through you and His Glory will rain down upon your school. And remember Esther too felt afraid, but she drew her strength from her faith in her God and in Chapter 4 verse 14 it is written: "For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?” - do not remain quiet. Praise God, and stand firm in your faith. And "If you perish, you perish" - Esther 4:16

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Hi :)

I think the best thing to do is to tell the truth and let the cards fall where they may.

It can be difficult to deal with the social rejection of being a genuine believer, but the best way to address that is to have a great support network, fellowship and friends, outside of the college environment. It certainly helped me to not make college my entire world, just a part of my world.

You can also join the campus Christian club to join in with likeminded people.

Friendship with the world is emnity with God unfortunately.

Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. Matthew 16:24

~

Praying~!

• Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

Hold onto the words of Psalm 91 and in prayer remind God that He promised to 'hide you under the shadow of His wings so that no weapon formed against you should prosper'. I have many times gone to the Psalms for promises that God has made. Remind Him that He said those words in His Holy Book. Ask Him to make your way straight before you step by step by step.

He cannot let His words return to Him void.

Take a stand and know He is by your side giving you strength and fear not.

PS Sorry for saying Ps. 122 I meant 91.

• Followers:  39
  • Topic Count:  101
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,673
  • Content Per Day:  1.31
  • Days Won:  67

I think we are called to speak the truth in love. The apostles knew that they would be killed for spreading the gospel, did it stop them? The bible tells us we will be persecuted, as Americans I don't think we know what that is, we've been insulated from it for most of our lives. Right now in other parts of the world our brothers and sisters are being killed for their faith, we should be no less willing.

Romans 8:18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

• Followers:  37
  • Topic Count:  543
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  33,171
  • Content Per Day:  5.07
  • Days Won:  243
  • Birthday:  02/23/1953

It is not easy and it is not right ..unfortunatly it is becoming all too easily the normal behaviour . Only YOU can decide what you can or cannot do. It is so easy to hide away and keep your head down and soooo hard to stand up for what you believe and take the trouble that comes with it. It is a bit easier when you have others of a like mind close by so it makes sense to join in any CHRISTIAN groups that you may be able to find in your college ..if there are none then you need to start asking questions about why there are none ... are they encouraged or banned ??

Will pray for you

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,994
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,692
  • Content Per Day:  11.74
  • Days Won:  226

Satan is working overtime.We live in a dark world.God is in control..... :thumbsup:

• Group:  Members
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  40
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  08/03/1980

John 15

18 “If the world hates you, know that it has hated me before it hated you. 19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. 21 But all these things they will do to you on account of my name, because they do not know him who sent me.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  460
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Birthday:  10/26/1990

I really appreciate the advice! The problem with joining the Christian club is that (like many Christian demoninations today) they can still be worldly and not hold the Bible as truth. At the end of the day I guess if someone asks then I will either say "None of your business" if it is for someone who I don't know but if I feel comfortable with the person I will answer but I will not be vocal about my opinions since that will just cause more strife. Sound like a good plan?