Biblical Criticizim

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  29
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  188
  • Content Per Day:  0.05
  • Days Won:  0

How is it possible for us to have rapturing faith if we still feel it necessary to critique God's Word?

Peter walked on water but when he started to consider he began to sink.

Edited by 2404

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Topic Count:  192
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  1,393
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  4

How is it possible for us to have rapturing faith if we still feel it necessary to critique God's Word?

I have often wonder the same thing myself.  The Bible was made to correct us, II Timothy 3:16.  But we hear and see so many modern scholars wanting to correct God's Word it saddens me greatly.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,361
  • Content Per Day:  7.99
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

Pride of life a hideous sin to be examined... we are sin born in a place of sin!

God's Word came down from Heaven Jn 1

In God's Eyes this is light and darkness and we that are born of Him the same... Love, Steven

I have often wonder the same thing myself.  The Bible was made to correct us, II Timothy 3:16.  But we hear and see so many modern scholars wanting to correct God's Word it saddens me greatly.

Yes, but at the same time has not a lot of good been done (Lk. 9:50) and we know that life is not in the letter but in the Spirit (2 Cor. 3:5,6).

All is well 2 Tim. 1:12

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,714
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

Gideon tested God with the sheeps wool. There is a difference I think, between asking God, and actively doubting Him. Gideon wanted to make sure that it was God and His will to do said act-but still had faith in God. King David, often questioned God as to why God was doing such things, so did Job. The difference is, they all continued to have faith in God-even with their questions-they asked their questions and had faith God would do it, Peter, Jumped out on the water without thinking, and then looked away and stopped believing Jesus could save him.

But notice, even though Peter looked away, Jesus still rescued him, and Peter continued to serve Christ.

Guest ninhao

Hello 2404 what do you mean by critique; do you mean speaking negatively ?

I think examining the Scriptures is a good thing after all how can we know what they mean otherwise.

Hello 2404 what do you mean by critique; do you mean speaking negatively ?

I think examining the Scriptures is a good thing after all how can we know what they mean otherwise.

I too believe that the bible is our spiritual food and it needs to lead us.

We need to conform to it instead of using it to support our positions.

I believe the reasons there are so many factions in Christianity is because there are so many opinions. God will do a legitimate work among us and we will pick it up and put our stamp on it and then decide who is in or out.

The Word of the Lord comes to the prophets.

In this our day God has done a work where the dead have been raised the blind have received their sight the lame made whole and the thoughts and intents of the heart were revealed. God does not do those things to show that He can but as when he walked the earth He does it for a purpose, a message will follow.

By critique I mean allowing our own understanding to have pre-eminence.

Thank you and God bless.

Ed

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  230
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  4,941
  • Content Per Day:  0.95
  • Days Won:  14

You will notice that Peter took his eyes 'off' Jesus then began to sink. The same happens to us when we look to the world for answers and take out eyes off the Lord. The Bible is a book of instruction, information and reproof. It gives us a guide to the here and now and also the future. It tells us about God and His great love for us and the sacrifice He paid to redeem us. It tells us how what we need to do to be with Him forever. It is a great love story from beginning to end. 

I don't see how i'ts possible to avoid some of it insofar as the Bible is a collection with a history. Stuff was written by different people at different times. Aside from that history there is the one in which scholars attempt to reconstruct the autograph writings (as they are penned) based on surviving manuscripts. That isn't a trivial task either. Then there is the issue of translation, which requires knowing how words were used in the Bible, requiring exhaustive study. If it weren't for some willing to wade in the waters of "Biblical criticism" we wouldn't have a Bible to read.

I wonder how much of this is a misunderstanding of what the word 'criticism' entails? Here is an explanation from the ever helpful wikipedia anyway ;). Parts of this you might be inclined to think we should minimize, such as not allowing for divine inspiration,or generally overemphasizing the roles of humans in writing, but others are clearly helpful, particularly understanding the history of the physical text.

Biblical criticism is the scholarly "study and investigation of biblical writings that seeks to make discerning judgments about these writings." Viewing biblical texts as having human rather than supernatural origins, it asks when and where a particular text originated; how, why, by whom, for whom, and in what circumstances it was produced; what influences were at work in its production; what sources were used in its composition; and what message it was intended to convey. It will vary slightly depending on whether the focus is on the Old Testament, the letters of New Testament or the Canonical gospels. It also plays an important role in the quest for aHistorical Jesus.

It also addresses the physical text, including the meaning of the words and the way in which they are used, its preservation, history and integrity. Biblical criticism draws upon a wide range of scholarly disciplines including archaeologyanthropologyfolklore, linguistics, Oral Tradition studies, and historical and religious studies.

Thank you Bary

Indeed I respect and appreciate the work of the scholars. As implied 'where would we be without it'?

I did spend four years in the Baptist college/seminary ‘years ago’ so I can somewhat relate to the disciplines involved.

In part what I am saying is that I don’t think there is the edification in scholasticism alone. 

Edited by 2404

• 2 weeks later...

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  104
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  2,458
  • Content Per Day:  0.55
  • Days Won:  5
  • Birthday:  01/31/1950

Could I ask your opinion is on this

1 Corin 11

20 When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.

34 And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.

Some think nothing of this others say it means not to eat at church like pot luck dinners or other meals.