• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

........But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be he first to throw a stone at her."  Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

John 8:6-8

Is there any significance to him writing on the ground other than it being a way of ignoring them while he contemplated their questions? If so, what was he writing?

To Know Know Know Him

Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created. Revelation 4:11

Is To Love Love Love Him

And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. John 20:28

And I Do

~

........But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be he first to throw a stone at her."  Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground. John 8:6-8

Is there any significance to him writing on the ground other than it being a way of ignoring them while he contemplated their questions? If so, what was he writing?

~

I've Seen It

In the same hour came forth fingers of a man's hand, and wrote over against the candlestick upon the plaister of the wall of the king's palace: and the king saw the part of the hand that wrote. Then the king's countenance was changed, and his thoughts troubled him, so that the joints of his loins were loosed, and his knees smote one against another. Daniel 5:5-6

Before

But if I with the finger of God cast out devils, no doubt the kingdom of God is come upon you. Luke 11:20

~

And I Have Little Doubt

I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; 2 Timothy 4:1

That The LORD God Almighty

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

Was Writing A List Of Their Sins Upon The Ground

A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned. Matthew 12:35-37

You See

For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. Matthew 7:2 (NIV)

~

Be Blessed Beloved Of The KING

The LORD bless thee, and keep thee:
The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

And they shall put my name upon the children of Israel; and I will bless them. Numbers 6:24-27

Love, Your Brother Joe

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

We will never really know what Jesus wrote, but what He said as He did it is what matters. some say He was naming the sins of those there, but the bible does not tell us. But it must have been, I think, something significant for it to have been recorded?

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  119
  • Content Per Day:  0.02
  • Days Won:  2

I've always thought he was writing the various sins.  I've heard it preached that he was writing their names.  I am more inclined to think he was writing things such as "covet, lie, steal,..."  As these words would have imprinted on the hearts of the accusers becoming the accused.  

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

Their are some things that will not be answered until we get to Heaven.That just might be one of them.People can speculate all they want.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Their are some things that will not be answered until we get to Heaven.That just might be one of them.People can speculate all they want.

Right!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,799
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

There was a post, now purged since it was old, from a believer who had rabbinical training. He said that he thinks that since in a case of adultery both the male and female were to be stoned, that the pharisees who knew what the law stated were at fault in condemning this woman, that Jesus was writing down a list of their sins. They left in order of age because of their years of being immersed in the law, that it would hit the most learned first that they were wrong in what they were doing.

The members post was thorough about what scripture said and what the pharisees would have known. Since I cant look it up, I cant give you anything more specific. 

• Followers:  7
  • Topic Count:  867
  • Topics Per Day:  0.24
  • Content Count:  7,331
  • Days Won:  31
  • Birthday:  04/28/1964

Thanks for your replies. I didn't expect anyone to know exactly, I just wondered whether it was significant or not or perhaps I'd missed something.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  35
  • Topic Count:  100
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  41,398
  • Content Per Day:  8.00
  • Days Won:  76
  • Birthday:  07/27/1957

In our wonder of things left unsaid... we must always maintain the warning of the great seal of closed canon

Rev 22:18-19

18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things,

God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19 and if anyone takes away from the words of

the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the

things which are written in this book.
NKJV

In Jn 8:6 the greek word used egraphen (from root grapho)

is a verb being spoken in 3 rd person, singular, imperfect, active, indicative...

long story short of- it is translated every instance as either describing through written communication or written itself!

1. grapho
NT:1125) is used (a) of "forming letters" on a surface or writing material, John 8:6; Gal 6:11,
(from Vine's Expository Dictionary of Biblical Words, Copyright © 1985, Thomas Nelson Publishers.)

So He wrote letters. What it was is our future knowledge with Him. :)  Love, Steven

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.75
  • Days Won:  226

I have a feeling that Jesus did not just doodle and that everything He wrote down was very,very important :mgcheerful: .