• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

He was. He had a gun! Regardless, he was returning to his car, like the police asked him to do, when Trayvon assaulted him and placed his life in danger. Had Trayvon not sucker punched Zimmerman and then assaulted him with the intent of causing great bodily harm and also of taking his gun, Trayvon would still be alive.

Ypu appear to reserve none of your rancor for where it rightly belongs. Not sure why though.

For most of us, not killing someone is a goal we live by.  I guess others are different

We do not if he was sucker punched or what happened, all we have is the word of one party.   you take it for gospel ,I see it a bit differently.

What rancor should I have for a dead teenager?  What would be the point?

I think there is much blame on both sides, this is where you and I differ.  You seem to view Zimmerman as some sort of a hero, I do not and never will. 

do you really think that George should have been put in prison for 30 years?

you know, I have said on this thread alone at least 5 or more times I agree with the verdict based on the evidence that was available.  I am not sure why I have to repeat myself so often.

and as I said, being legally not guilty is not the same as being morally innocent.  In my own personal opinion Zimmerman is just as at fault as Martin was.    But only one of them is dead

So ruining his life and openly maligning and judging his heart intent is okay then? Please cite scriptural support for such a stance.

how have I ruined his life?  how do I living in Illinois have any impact on his life?

you are trying wayyyy too hard here.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I do not believe that Zimmerman had any intention of shooting anyone.  I believe that he viewed himself more highly than he should have and that he put himself in a situation that he found out very quickly he was not capable of handling. 

What is your evidence for believing "he viewed himself more highly than he should have"?

And while I agree with the court verdict based on the evidence, one can be legally innocent but not morally so.

And in God's eyes, what is your responsibility in this case?

There is no evidence he was told to carry a gun, that is his own story. 

OK, I didn't see the court cases, did you? Was it presented that there was no evidence to support this claim? (That is, was it investigated? Was it mentioned?)

According to testimony from the police, Zimmerman was asked to be part of a citizens patrol program but wanted to part in it.   Why is that?

What do you mean by "wanted to part in it?" (Typo?)

I base my view of him on his previous actions and on the fact the he was a self appointed neighborhood watchman and did not go with the will of the HOA.

I cannot find info on this. Would you please provide a link?

He clearly felt he had the capacity to handle situations such as following a person.  We now know how he handled that situation

Isn't it grand to be an arm-chair critic looking in hind-sight?

From some things I read, it is quite possible Zimmerman wasn't *thinking* about handling a situation; rather, he was reacting. The community had been suffering a series of break-ins and thefts, and no one got caught for these. Zimmerman was frustrated and angry. When he saw someone who did not look familiar acting in a way that to him looked suspicious, chances are he simply went into hyperdrive on his (incorrect) assumption, wanting to make sure the who-he-assumed-to-be-one-of-the-criminals wasn't going to get away this time.

Anger and adrenaline have a way of making people act emotionally rather than rationally.

I don't see that I have any responsibility in God's view other than to try and support the whole truth, not just one side or the other.

By what verse are you compelled?

Have you considered the laws of grace and mercy? Love over judgment?

Yes, Zimmerman erred. Martin erred too, buy choosing to go on the offensive.

I still believe Alveda King got it right:

Love and humility are missing on both sides of this struggle!

My uncle, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., once said we must all learn to live together as brothers (and sisters) or perish as fools. Too many people are dying today for too many reasons, and the race-baiting and strife add fuel to the fire, which grieves my soul.

Again, a young American man has perished; another is a public spectacle. Who wins?

We must now use this controversy as an opportunity to help educate our future generations as to how to act and how to react in similar situations. Then maybe young Trayvon’s death will not be in vain.

A profound injustice has occurred in glossing over the death of this young man and the suffering of his family. The "not guilty" verdict violates the tender nuances of human suffering and the integrity of the criminal justice system in his community.

It remains critically important, however, that all protests against the verdict demonstrate an irrevocable commitment to nonviolence, to honor the dignity of Trayvon Martin’s precious life, and to not add further tragedy to what his family and the people of Sanford have already experienced.

Let’s face it: If both people in this tragedy were of common ethnicity, there would be no media feeding frenzy. The gun-control debate is a smokescreen, in that people do use guns to kill other people as Zimmerman did in this case. But guns don’t kill people. People kill people. Yes, sometimes they use guns, but they sometimes use bombs or knives too. We definitely need love control and heart control and nonviolence control.

There are murders going on every day that the media overlooks.

Read here

The part about the police telling him to carry a gun was from an interview with Hannity on Fox.  As far as I know it never came out in court. 

So, the claim is neither proven nor disproven in the court of law.

Yes, it was a typo, should have been "he wanted NO part of an organized citizens patrol program".

OK, thanks. I didn't want to assume what you were saying.

Do you have a source explaining this? I couldn't find any.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Topics Per Day:  0.05
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

You know, Ive been sitting back and observing this entire debate, and right now, Im going to make some observations.

The media, had an agenda from the start-to create racial tension and fights, and they built it up so much, that regardless of the outcome there were likely to be riots, disagrements, splits, all over the place.

Just looking at this thread, Id say the media won. Regardless of whether zimmerman was guilty or not, id say the liberal media has gotten exactly, what it tried to do.

Just my two cents.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  9,613
  • Content Per Day:  1.45
  • Days Won:  9
  • Birthday:  05/31/1952

For most of us, not killing someone is a goal we live by.  I guess others are different

So, do you believe every American who carries a firearm with a permit to do so is out looking for a confrontation or even a kill?

Land sakes---I will stay north of the border, in that case.

It is suspicious to be standing on someone's property and not on the sidewalk. It is suspicious to encircle someone sitting in his car. Obviously the suspicion was borne out as right, because instead of high-tailing it home, which would be common sense, Trayvon doubled back and tried to kill George.

Pretty good instincts, there, for George, which is why he did call the police.

Funny that you say Martin didn't use common sense but you seem to think that Zimmerman did. 

You bet.

Nebula...

Is the idea that Zimmerman acted without thinking supposed to make me feel better about what happened?   There is a reason the legit Neighborhood Watch programs have police sponsors and get training on what to do and what not to do.   When I was a high schooler growing up in Florida I am used to cut thru lawns all the time getting from point A to Point B. Lucky for me nobody shot me I guess.

And yes, both erred, I am glad you can see that.  But sadly only one is dead.  You will forgive me if I don't view Zimmerman as some sort of tragic figure.

Here is a link you asked for...http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2013/06/25/zimmerman-trial-trayvon-neighborhood-watch/2455163/

floatingAxe...not in the least. I know a great many people that carry, they are all as careful as you can get.  And none of them would have done what Zimmerman did.  It is my not always so humble opinion that the gun gave Zimmerman the "courage" to follow Martin, and the consequences were tragic.

and finally, had Zimmerman used common sense Martin would not be dead, period.  But he didn't and we all know the result. 

You know, Ive been sitting back and observing this entire debate, and right now, Im going to make some observations.

The media, had an agenda from the start-to create racial tension and fights, and they built it up so much, that regardless of the outcome there were likely to be riots, disagrements, splits, all over the place.

Just looking at this thread, Id say the media won. Regardless of whether zimmerman was guilty or not, id say the liberal media has gotten exactly, what it tried to do.

Just my two cents.

It seems to me that the right wing media has done a fine job of making Zimmerman into a tragic figure. 

So yes, I would say that all of the media got what they wanted.

• Group:  Servant
  • Followers:  25
  • Topic Count:  275
  • Content Count:  5,208
  • Content Per Day:  0.99
  • Days Won:  0

So, do you believe every American who carries a firearm with a permit to do so is out looking for a confrontation or even a kill?

About 15,000 people are murdered in the united states every year. Anywhere from 20 to 30 people who have concealed carry permits in any given year are convicted of murder. That's an incredibly low percentage.

About 15,000 people are murdered in the united states every year. Anywhere from 20 to 30 people who have concealed carry permits in any given year are convicted of murder. That's an incredibly low percentage.

Thanks for that statistic. I will now make my plans to fly down to Missouri to visit my friend in Ozark!

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  27
  • Topic Count:  338
  • Content Count:  15,715
  • Content Per Day:  2.45
  • Days Won:  39
  • Birthday:  02/27/1985

I will say this. I do have a concealed carry permit, and I do carry. And I will say this-if I had some guy on top of me beating the living snot out of me just because I asked him what he was doing, and I could see no way of physically overpowering him before he killed me-just like zimmerman said happened-I likely would have shot the guy to. Course, I probably would never have gotten out of the truck in the first place-but if for whatever reason I was out and he jumped me, like that, the outcome likely would have been the same.