Tinky

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.20
  • Days Won:  115

I don't watch them but if people want to watch them - so what.

A movie is a movie. A TV show is a TV show. They aren't real. If a person doesn't want to watch them for fear of demons, then that doesn't say much for that so-called "confident" Christian.

Your statement concerns me.  It is the lack of confidence one has in their walk, or is it Wisdom that they don't watch or enjoy evil movies?  We are what we feed ourselves, physically, mentally and spiritually. To ignore this is to ignore the call of Christ that separates us from the world.  It is not considered the lack of freedom to make the right choices in life, nor is it considered legalistic, but wise.

2 Corinthians 6:11-18

O Corinthians! We have spoken openly to you, our heart is wide open. You are not restricted by us, but you are restricted by your own affections. Now in return for the same (I speak as to children), you also be open.

Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion has light with darkness? And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? And what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said:

“I will dwell in them

And walk among them.

I will be their God,

And they shall be My people.”

Therefore

“Come out from among them

And be separate, says the Lord.

Do not touch what is unclean,

And I will receive you.”

“I will be a Father to you,

And you shall be My sons and daughters,

Says the Lord Almighty.”

Romans 12:1-2

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

I find it interesting how you are applying these scriptures.  Why limit it to horror movies?  Why not anything worldly at all?  It does say to come out from among them and be separate.  Isn't everything worldly evil to some degree?  What about the best sitcoms?  Even on the Andy Griffith Show, Barney was shown to have been a subscriber to a men's magazine with nude or close to nude women in it.  This is what I wrestle with, so I am not asking you this to defend horror movies.  Should we just come out from among the world when it comes to the things we believe are very evil on a scale of 1 to 10, or should we come out from among the world completely, and become like the Amish?  I can easily see wrong in our entire culture.  I could probably find some fault among the Amish if I looked hard enough, but they have chosen to be separate.  Where do we draw the line, and what are you basing your decision on? 

There is nothing I said that limits this to horror movies.  The reason why I was not as inclusive as you want to be is to not hijack the thread.  Yet, to give you a simple answer to your question, we should allow the Holy Spirit to conform us to be more like Christ and follow His lead, being obedient.  If we focus on this, the rest will take care of itself.  One day, we can look back to see just how far we came by the changes He made in our lives.

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.88
  • Days Won:  33

Hey Butero,

How do you feel horror movies line up with Phil 4? 8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there isany virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

I used to love them, but I haven't watched them since I had kids. They aren't really kid friendly.

I think it is a conviction thing. I'm not sure I could watch it by faith (that which is not done by faith is sin). That doesn't mean you can't watch it by faith :) I'm not throwing you in to the lions ;) I was just curious how watching them is in obedience to Phil 4.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.92
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

I heard an interesting take on horror films - or basically any film Hollywood does dealing with the demonic:

They give Satan too much power where he doesn't have it and not enough power where he does have it.

If you consider the movies based off of true stories (I think The Exorcist was one?), they really went over board on the demonic activity.

But is Satan's greatest power in moving objects, causing hallucinations, and the like? Or is it in deception?

Something else to consider in this: has there been any horror movie that showed Jesus overcoming the demons?

In the Exorcism of Emily Rose, for example, who appeared to have won?

I know deliverance ministers who really did bring people to deliverance from the demons through Jesus.It grieves and sickens me that we never see such from these movies.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  7,464
  • Content Per Day:  1.01
  • Days Won:  57
  • Birthday:  12/12/1952

I don't watch them. To many of the if not all deal with the dark side meaning demonic.  No thank you.  I want movies that will make me smile or laugh or just make my heart warm.  Like Flicka... the show Touched By An Angel, Heartland.  Things like that.  Call me old fashion.  But that's me.

• Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.91
  • Days Won:  3

I suppose it comes down to if you don't like them don't watch them. I don't like musicals (except for "Sweeney Todd") so I tend to stay away from musicals.

I heard an interesting take on horror films - or basically any film Hollywood does dealing with the demonic:

They give Satan too much power where he doesn't have it and not enough power where he does have it.

If you consider the movies based off of true stories (I think The Exorcist was one?), they really went over board on the demonic activity.

But is Satan's greatest power in moving objects, causing hallucinations, and the like? Or is it in deception?

Something else to consider in this: has there been any horror movie that showed Jesus overcoming the demons?

In the Exorcism of Emily Rose, for example, who appeared to have won?

I know deliverance ministers who really did bring people to deliverance from the demons through Jesus.It grieves and sickens me that we never see such from these movies.

That was based on a true story, and that is apparently how things transpired?  My reaction was how sad it was that she didn't get the help she needed because she went to a Catholic Priest rather than a full gospel minister.  I was also saddened that the Priest didn't understand the girl was being played by the spirit into believing it was God's will she be possessed. 

But that's my point. Who appeared to come out the victor? Why not create a story based on a a true deliverance?

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  212
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  1,691
  • Content Per Day:  0.30
  • Days Won:  1

I stay away from them now. I do not want anything to do with horror anymore. I think it opened myself up to spiritual attacks that may not have occurred have I not gotten myself into them. Horror isnt of God and I dont want those lasting imganes in my head.

I suppose someone could make a movie about someone who was delivered from demons?  I am sure there are plenty of such examples out there?  I have seen people delivered.  At the same time, this was a true story, and Emily Rose was destroyed by demons.  It happened.  I consider this one example of a horror movie I actually got something from.  I saw how the devil was able to trick not only his victim, but a Priest.  Not all stories have a happy ending.  We can learn things from the positive and the negative. 

Did the movie make this lesson clear to the whole audience, or did you discern this yourself?

In any event, my point still stands - are there any movies out there depicting the demonic where we see Jesus glorified and shown to be greater than the devil and the demons?

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  21
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  272
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0

1. Does it glorify God? 2.Does it have a good lesson to teach you?

1. To answer the first question "does it glorify God. A lot of the true horror movies that I watch do in fact glorify the power of God. The ones I really like are ones that are based on true stories. In those types of movies a person of God is called in to help fight the evil. I went to see "The Conjuring" a few weeks ago. It is based on a true story. The man and wife couple who were called in to help the family rid their house of demon said to one another when they began to loss faith  "this is why God brought us together". For most of these movies (the ones that I like anyway) in the end, it shows that only the power of God can save them.

2. Does it have a good lesson to teach you?   Yes! These movies have taught me that it is so easy to let something in. To open the door to the dark side. I have never play around with a Ouija board or tried to contact the dead.  I have seen too many of these movies to know that that is how a door can be open.

I went to see this same movie today.  Yes, it is based on a true story, and I respect the Warrens and their assessment of paranormal situations, but in reality I came out of that movie snickering.  That's because Hollywood always has to embellish everything -- that's the point to make it interesting and entertaining, not fully factual. 

While IMO we are debating each others views on horror movies, just remember, it's just entertainment and it's NOT real.  It's probably more of a sin to squander one's time watching such stuff repeatedly than for the content to be damaging.  What the horror movies do is what any movie does.... lines the pockets of those who produce them in exchange for your entertainment.

Edited by GoldenEagle
<<< Removed pictures and references... >>>

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.79
  • Days Won:  44

From the ToS...
Worthy Boards are non-denominational Christian forums where we discuss a host of worthy topics such as Bible prophecy, theology and the latest news. Our desire is to provide a Christian-friendly, family oriented atmosphere online.