• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  97
  • Topics Per Day:  0.02
  • Content Count:  427
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  05/20/1980

Iam a little bit confused.what does moses mean here:exodus 6:30> I came across in the bible where moses,Adressed himself as uncircumcised lips before God.and if i may ask must every christians be circumcise.

Exodus 6:30

30 But Moses said before the Lord, “Behold, I am of uncircumcised lips, and how shall Pharaoh heed me?”

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  2.00
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

No Christians do not have to be circumcised Jerry.

It helps if you can quote the scripture you are talking about when you post. (IE,  Exodus 2:1 or whatever scripture you are talking about). I am at work and only have a few minutes, and more members will fill in the gaps for you I am sure, but Paul tells us we are to be "circumcised in our heart", in that we should be practicing Love and Mercy and the actual physical act is not necessary. (although some religions and Christian sects still practice it today, it is not necessary for salvation)

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

As we are no longer under the Old Testament Law as Christians, circumcision is no longer required.
Being saved from our sins is a result of faith in Christ to save us from our sins, and it is this act of turning from our sin and self-righteousness and turning instead to reliance upon Christ’s finished work on the cross that makes us “circumcised of heart,”

If you read Acts 15 this should give you a clear example.

Also , 

1Co 7:18  Is any man called being circumcised? let him not become uncircumcised. Is any called in uncircumcision? let him not be circumcised. 

1Co 7:19  Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God. 

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Iam a little bit confused.what does moses mean here:exodus 6:30> I came across in the bible where moses,Adressed himself as uncircumcised lips before God.and if i may ask must every christians be circumcise.

Interesting. Different translations say different things:

http://www.biblestudytools.com/exodus/6-30-compare.html

Some say "uncircumcised," some say "faltering", etc.

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,992
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,690
  • Content Per Day:  11.77
  • Days Won:  226

I think it had to do with  his speech and that he could not talk well.The Holy Spirit was speaking for him.

I am a little bit confused.what does moses mean here:exodus 6:30> I came across in the bible where moses,Adressed himself as uncircumcised lips before God.and if i may ask must every christians be circumcise.

I believe Moses meant he did not speak Hebrew very well (as a  native tongue, language) . He was raised an Egyptian, of Pharoah's daughter.

Note the contrast in the two statements.......

Ex 4:10  And Moses said unto the LORD, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue.

Ac 7:22  And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and in deeds.

Also here, being assumed to be an Egyptian, by the midianites.

Ex. 2:16 Now the priest of Midian had seven daughters: and they came and drew water, and filled the troughs to water their father’s flock. {priest: or, prince}

17  And the shepherds came and drove them away: but Moses stood up and helped them, and watered their flock.

18  And when they came to Reuel their father, he said, How is it that ye are come so soon to day?

19  And they said, An Egyptian delivered us out of the hand of the shepherds, and also drew water enough for us, and watered the flock.

Edited by Joline

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  4
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  120
  • Content Per Day:  0.03
  • Days Won:  1
  • Birthday:  10/13/1974

35adjective having foreskin, i.e. uncircumcised; — ׳ע Exodus 12:48 5t.; construct עֶ֫רֶל Ezekiel 44:9 (twice in verse); עֲרַל Exodus 6:12,30; feminine עֲרִלָה Jeremiah 6:10; plural עֲרִלִים Leviticus 19:23 20t.; construct עַרְלֵי Jeremiah 9:25 2t.; — uncircumcised person Exodus 12:48; Joshua 5:7 (P), Philistines Judges 14:3; Judges 15:18; 1 Samuel 14:6; 1 Samuel 17:26,36; 1 Samuel 31:4; 2 Samuel 1:20; 1 Chronicles 10:4; of other nations Isaiah 52:1; Jeremiah 9:25; especially as slain Ezekiel 28:10; Ezekiel 31:18; Ezekiel 32:19 9t. 32; in Ezekiel 32:27 read מֵעוֺלָם so Hi and most (see on meaning Toy31, 18); עָרֵל זָכָר uncircumcised male Genesis 17:14 (P); בָּשָׂר ׳ע Ezekiel 44:7,9 uncircumcised of flesh; figurative of fruit trees Leviticus 19:23 (compare [עָרַל] above); שְׂפָתַיִם ׳ע figurative of incapacity to speak Exodus 6:12,30; of character, לב ׳ע Jeremiah 9:25; Ezekiel 44:7,9, compare לֵבָבָם הֶעָרֵל Leviticus 26:41 (P), עֲרֵלָה אָזְנָם Jeremiah 6:10 their ear is uncircumcised (unreceptive).

http://biblesuite.com/hebrew/6189.htm

The word uncircumcised is used more than just a word for the physical nature but of figurative speaking of things as well and as already pointed out, concerning Moses it was his speech, perhaps Hebrew, in which was felt not up to par with what was thought to be the standard.

35adjective having foreskin, i.e. uncircumcised; — ׳ע Exodus 12:48 5t.; construct עֶ֫רֶל Ezekiel 44:9 (twice in verse); עֲרַל Exodus 6:12,30; feminine עֲרִלָה Jeremiah 6:10; plural עֲרִלִים Leviticus 19:23 20t.; construct עַרְלֵי Jeremiah 9:25 2t.; — uncircumcised person Exodus 12:48; Joshua 5:7 (P), Philistines Judges 14:3; Judges 15:18; 1 Samuel 14:6; 1 Samuel 17:26,36; 1 Samuel 31:4; 2 Samuel 1:20; 1 Chronicles 10:4; of other nations Isaiah 52:1; Jeremiah 9:25; especially as slain Ezekiel 28:10; Ezekiel 31:18; Ezekiel 32:19 9t. 32; in Ezekiel 32:27 read מֵעוֺלָם so Hi and most (see on meaning Toy31, 18); עָרֵל זָכָר uncircumcised male Genesis 17:14 (P); בָּשָׂר ׳ע Ezekiel 44:7,9 uncircumcised of flesh; figurative of fruit trees Leviticus 19:23 (compare [עָרַל] above); שְׂפָתַיִם ׳ע figurative of incapacity to speak Exodus 6:12,30; of character, לב ׳ע Jeremiah 9:25; Ezekiel 44:7,9, compare לֵבָבָם הֶעָרֵל Leviticus 26:41 (P), עֲרֵלָה אָזְנָם Jeremiah 6:10 their ear is uncircumcised (unreceptive).

http://biblesuite.com/hebrew/6189.htm

The word uncircumcised is used more than just a word for the physical nature but of figurative speaking of things as well and as already pointed out, concerning Moses it was his speech, perhaps Hebrew, in which was felt not up to par with what was thought to be the standard.

I agree, we see dialect as an identifiier of national origins. Moses spake as if he were a foreigner to them.

Ac 1:19  And it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue <1258>, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

Ac 2:8  And how hear we every man in our own tongue <1258>, wherein we were born?

Ac 21:40  And when he had given him licence, Paul stood on the stairs, and beckoned with the hand unto the people. And when there was made a great silence, he spake unto them in the Hebrew tongue <1258>, saying,

Ac 22:2  (And when they heard that he spake in the Hebrew tongue <1258> to them, they kept the more silence: and he saith,)

Ac 2:6  Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language <1258>.

1258 διαλεκτος dialektos dee-al’-ek-tos

from 1256; ; n f

AV-tongue 5, language 1; 6

1) conversation, speech, discourse, language

2) the tongue or language peculiar to any people

Edited by Joline

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

Exodus 6:30

30 But Moses said before the Lord, “Behold, I am of uncircumcised lips, and how shall Pharaoh heed me?”

I agree with others that in particular this passage is referring to Moses’ lack of skill in speech.

As to the question in bold...

Apparently this issue of circumcision was a question for the early church as well.

Acts 15:1-2

And certain men came down from Judea and taught the brethren, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” Therefore, when Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and dispute with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas and certain others of them should go up to Jerusalem, to the apostles and elders, about this question.

Yet it was established at the council of Jerusalem that circumcision while a good thing was not necessary for salvation. It was not and is not a requirement for Gentile Christians.

Acts 15:23-29

23 They wrote this letter by them:

The apostles, the elders, and the brethren,

To the brethren who are of the Gentiles in Antioch, Syria, and Cilicia:

Greetings.

24 Since we have heard that some who went out from us have troubled you with words, unsettling your souls, saying, “You must be circumcised and keep the law”[a] —to whom we gave no such commandment— 25 it seemed good to us, being assembled with one accord, to send chosen men to you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul, 26 men who have risked their lives for the name of our Lord Jesus Christ. 27 We have therefore sent Judas and Silas, who will also report the same things by word of mouth. 28 For it seemed good to the Holy Spirit, and to us, to lay upon you no greater burden than these necessary things: 29 that you abstain from things offered to idols, from blood, from things strangled, and from sexual immorality.[b] If you keep yourselves from these, you will do well.

Farewell.

Circumcision avails (benefits) to nothing from a spiritual perspective. :thumbsup:

Galatians 6:15

6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.

Love God, love people - this is what matters. That is the spirit or heart of the law. :thumbsup:

Matthew 22:36-40

36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”

37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’[d] 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’[e] 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

1 Corinthians 7:19

19 Circumcision is nothing and uncircumcision is nothing, but keeping the commandments of God is what matters.

Hope this helps. :)

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,143
  • Content Per Day:  4.62
  • Days Won:  327

Maybe it would be helpful to go back to Exodus 4:10 where Moses first expresses his feelings of inadequecy to the Lord,describing how he is slow of speech and doubts that anyone would listen to him because of this speech impediment(lol-as if God did not already know)but the beautiful thing we see here is Moses purity of heart as he says these things to our loving Father (wow,talk about relationship).......Replace the word "uncircumsized"with imperfect or faltering and it would make more sense.Remember,he is referring to his lips........Hope this simplified things?Kwik