IGNORED

What do you think about breastfeeding? Cover or no cover?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

2nd, the motive of the mother is irrelevant. Seeing a woman's breasts causes some to stumble. If something is know to cause offense, and cause one to stumble, then how can you continue that activity and not be in contradiction to the word?

Again, please show me in Scripture where it says a nursing mother should cover herself when breastfeeding her baby? Is this a personal conviction or something that is Scriptural?

So the argument is seeing a woman's breasts causes some to stumble.

Motive of the mother is irrelevant... So you're going to lump into the same group a mother who modestly (we'll use your term here and say that she uses a cover) and a child happens to kick (or is hot take your pick) and throw the cover off with people who simply use no cover ever? Wow.

For the sake of the discussion I'm going to provide an alternative to what is being discussed. Let's say we treated lips in the same fashion. Lips can also be sexual in nature - kissing, etc. Yet they're used for consumption of food, chewing, etc.

Then it brings me to other issues... What about the kneck, tummy, hands, legs, feet, arms, or a person's skin? Perhaps the issue is the conditioning people go through from young childhood (take the story of the Chick-fil-A Nursing Mother's experience in Tennessee for example where the parents were "scared for their children") to believe that breastfeeding is a sexual act and people view nursing mother's as sexual objects instead of human beings.

Participating in conversations and/or threads about where people's perspectives are respected and valued is important. While I do not agree with you I do respect your position brother. I do appreciate you reading my thoughts and challenging me. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,113
  • Content Per Day:  0.26
  • Days Won:  3
  • Birthday:  10/17/1975

Participating in conversations and/or threads about where people's perspectives are respected and valued is important. While I do not agree with you I do respect your position brother. I do appreciate you reading my thoughts and challenging me. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

1 more question for you. I'll ask you what I asked someone else in a different post ( #135 I think ). Here it is.

Exposed breasts are viewed as sex objects. Whether breastfeeding or not is irrelevant. We as Brothers and sisters in Christ should avoid causing others to stumble. What about a new believer, who God just delivered from sin. Including a sex addiction. A Christian sister decides to breastfeed out in the open for all to see. She is unaware of the new brothers past struggles. The new brother in Christ walks in and sees the woman breastfeeding. She is doing it out in the open with no cover so it's hard to miss. Right as he walks in and notices the child comes off the breast, and the entire breast is exposed. He leaves the area so there is no chance he could see it again. Someone else informs the mother of the new brothers struggles. Now, Should she continue to breastfeed in the open, with no cover, for all to see, when she knows it causes someone to struggle and stumble. What should she do?

P.S. Remember the famous question by Cain. Am I my brothers keeper?

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

I think this thread is going to extremes.  Common sense should dictate polite Christian 'norms'.  Why wouldn't a Christian woman cover herself with something while baby has a meal?

On the other hand, there are some societies wherein women ARE nekked from the waist up all the time...they don't watch all that glorified breast worship from hollywood, so the poor folks

have nothing to compare it to

And then there are topless beaches all over Europe where no one gives a fig newton...so, it seems that while some think it is comparable to enticing to sin, others shrug their shoulders and

go zip their coke through a straw.

I think too much is being made here.  The simple answer is, Christian women already know how they should behave and if they go around exposed in church, although to be sure I have never

seen that, then some kind woman needs to take them aside and explain KINDLY why they ought not to do that

If the woman in question is not a Christian...then why expect her to act like one?

As has been brought up, some women cannot seem to avoid stares no matter what and it is not always because of their body parts...sometimes a woman just has one of those faces that

men turn their heads after.

IMO, some common sense and a little bit of compassion and or understanding, would go a long way.  There are things I don't like...but I cannot change everyone and the women in the world

are sure not going to change any time soon.....you have to accept people where they are and not suddenly throw up the great Christian barrier of judgement that often times is no judgement

at all but rather an uncompromising admittance of guilt, shame, jealousy,  and the mistaken belief that doing away with sin means you get to help others who you believe could use some work.

I've come to the above conclusions through making some pretty bad mistakes and judgement calls.  I honestly believe God does not judge the way we think He does.  I mean all this fuss when

the answer is pretty simple? I don't think anyone on here has advocated women being in your face about their upper torso (Christian women) and as far as the rest goes, well, you can only

manage yourself.

I'm not taking sides...I think people need to be more secure in themselves and their own identity.  Such things really should not bother people that much since you can only deal with those of

like faith and even then, accusing and judging is not what Christ has in mind.

Well, that's just how I view it.

I didn't realize you responded to this. So many posts today. Seems I overlooked this one. Firestormx your comments in blue. My responses in purple.

So let's establish that you believe that a woman cannot bresfeed publically without being immodest and causing another to stumble. Is this correct? No. She do it in public with a cover, in a car, or in a bathroom.

What if she forgets her cover? Or what if the car is 1-2 miles away from where she's at an event? What if the bathrooms are filthy? Should she still put the wants (discomfort) of her others before the needs of her baby (hunger)?

For clarification I do not believe that to be modest a woman must wear a cover.

With that assumption I'd ask some questions...

A. If a woman is being modest and wearing a cover does this mean that a child will not suddently jerk away from the breast when feeding possibly removing the cover? She should not be where others can see without making an effort.

What if she IS making the effort but the child simply will not cooperate? Should she still put the wants (discomfort) of her others before the needs of her baby (hunger)?

B. If a woman is being modest and wearing a cover does this mean that if a child is super hot, cranky, fussy, etc. and refuses to nurse with the cover the mother should simply stop feeding said child? She could easily try to change locations, such as to a car, or to a corner of the room where it's less on display.

What if she cannot go anywhere else? What if the car is too far away? What if there is no corner of the room? What if she's at an outside event? Should she just have stayed home? Should she still put the wants (discomfort) of her others before the needs of her baby (hunger)?

C. If a woman is being modest and wearing a cover does this mean that if a child hates being confined to the cover (they get hot for example) the mother should simply stop feeding said child? See above.

D. Do you realize how hard it is for mommy and baby to learn to nurse? Particularly first time mothers? Yes, my first child was breastfeed.

So you know how hard it is then... Especially for some mothers...

E. What if there is no clean, private place for a nursing mother to breastfeed her baby? Should she do so in the public bathroom in order not to scandalize anyone? If necessary  yes. But what about the car?

Let's say the car is not a good option? Should she still put the wants (discomfort) of her others before the needs of her baby (hunger)?

I'd like to address this section in red bold specifically..

A woman don't have to just drop her shirt so her breasts are exposed. I just don't think in this world a Christian woman should have her breasts exposed for all to see for any reason. 

How many women have you seen nursing who expose BOTH breasts when offering to nurse their child? Doesn't a baby generally just nurse off of one breast at a time? My ex-wife did it that way and so did a lot of others where I live at the time. They said it was just easier. Esp. if they needed to change breasts for whatever reason. My ex-wife said the baby would latch on to one breast easier than another, which is why she might switch while feeding. So perhaps this comment needs to be re-thought? I stand by what I said. Do you equte breasfeeding in public with going topless? Yes, breasts are exposed. The reason is irrelevant.

Good discussion. :thumbsup:

God bless,
GE

So for clarification you're saying typically when nursing where you live a woman would expose both breasts when nursing?

Again very interesting discussion. :thumbsup:

God bless,

GE

God bless,

GE

1 more question for you. I'll ask you what I asked someone else in a different post ( #135 I think ). Here it is.

Exposed breasts are viewed as sex objects. Whether breastfeeding or not is irrelevant. We as Brothers and sisters in Christ should avoid causing others to stumble. What about a new believer, who God just delivered from sin. Including a sex addiction. A Christian sister decides to breastfeed out in the open for all to see. She is unaware of the new brothers past struggles. The new brother in Christ walks in and sees the woman breastfeeding. She is doing it out in the open with no cover so it's hard to miss. Right as he walks in and notices the child comes off the breast, and the entire breast is exposed. He leaves the area so there is no chance he could see it again. Someone else informs the mother of the new brothers struggles. Now, Should she continue to breastfeed in the open, with no cover, for all to see, when she knows it causes someone to struggle and stumble. What should she do?

Perhaps other more mature brothers in the faith could coach this man with a sex addiction in averting his eyes? Growing up that is what I was taught to do. Staring can be rude. ;) Then perhaps in a loving manner someone could approach the nursing mother to let her know about this guys struggles? Understand though that I believe the issue is with the guy and his addiction to sin. Not the mother and her desire to feed her baby. I don't think any nursing mother is unreasonable. Going from no cover to a cover would be a serious adjustment for the baby and the mother. But forcing her to change her nursing habits simply because a bunch of elders/deacons (in most cases men) tell her to do so would rub me the wrong way. I would consider this almost like bullying if it was a demand instead of a request.

Again, I'll ask a third time please show me in Scripture where it specifically says a nursing mother should cover herself when breastfeeding her baby?

So I take it after I spent all the time to consider your passage in the book of Samuel you see where a 30 mile trip on foot is a good consideration when travelling with a baby? Lol. :help:

Regarding Cain in the situation I'm assuming you're referring to the sin was his own. Cain killed his brother Able. A mother breastfeeding her child is not sin. A man who lusts after her while nursing is the one with the sin. Do you see the difference?

God bless,

GE

Just thought of something ~  quite a few women put their breastmilk into a baby bottle and will use that in public.  A practical solution!  (mind you I can hear the excuses anyway)

That way, baby gets the usual, no one is offended and I see smiles all around.. :74_74:

God bless,

GE

Perhaps other more mature brothers in the faith could coach this man with a sex addiction in averting his eyes? Growing up that is what I was taught to do. Staring can be rude. ;) Then perhaps in a loving manner someone could approach the nursing mother to let her know about this guys struggles? Understand though that I believe the issue is with the guy and his addiction to sin. Not the mother and her desire to feed her baby. I don't think any nursing mother is unreasonable. Going from no cover to a cover would be a serious adjustment for the baby and the mother. But forcing her to change her nursing habits simply because a bunch of elders/deacons (in most cases men) tell her to do so would rub me the wrong way. I would consider this almost like bullying if it was a demand instead of a request.

Again, I'll ask a third time please show me in Scripture where it specifically says a nursing mother should cover herself when breastfeeding her baby? It's in the same place in scripture where it says if your doing something like breastfeeding and seeing a exposed breast causes another to stumble, just ignore the brother and his weakness because it's his problem. It's not there. But neither is nursing without a cover.

So I take it after I spent all the time to consider your passage in the book of Samuel you see where a 30 mile trip on foot is a good consideration when travelling with a baby? Lol. :help:

Regarding Cain in the situation I'm assuming you're referring to the sin was his own. Cain killed his brother Able. A mother breastfeeding her child is not sin. A man who lusts after her while nursing is the one with the sin. Do you see the difference? No, I was saying it is our responsibility to not cause others to stumble. To think of others and how what we are doing affects them. To paraphrase Paul, don't use your freedom to cause another to stumble. The woman who breastfeeds is not committing sin, unless it causes another weaker brother or sister to stumble. If the behavior continues after that, then it is sin. Her freedom causes another to stumble. here is a link to the verses about what I am saying http://www.openbible.info/topics/causing_your_brother_to_stumble

God bless,

GE

Just thought of something ~  quite a few women put their breastmilk into a baby bottle and will use that in public.  A practical solution!  (mind you I can hear the excuses anyway)

That way, baby gets the usual, no one is offended and I see smiles all around.. :74_74:

:thumbsup: Nice answer.

LOL!  I tend to wander outside of the beaten path 

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

there is a bonding that comes from a child nursing from the mother that the bottle cannot duplicate.  And also, the nipples on the bottle will sometimes make it harder for the child to nurse from the mother.