IGNORED

What do you think about breastfeeding? Cover or no cover?

GoldenEagle

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.80
  • Days Won:  44

I think we all need to take a break from this thread. Closed for now.

Let's sleep on it, pray about it, and perhaps continue tomorrow.

Re-opened the thread.

Let's remember to follow the TOS.

Debate the subject and not the person. It is possible to disagree with someone without insulting them. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're trying to get under your skin.

Respect each other in the love of God! No insulting please.

God bless,

GE

Please read before commenting further! :)

I’d like to make some clarifications here. I’m not trying to advocate a woman shouldn’t try to be discreet when breastfeeding. I’m not advocating a woman going topless. I’m not advocating ignoring weaker brothers and sisters in Christ.

I do believe we should in fact follow Scripture and consider weaker brothers and sisters in the faith. I do believe that loving God and loving people is the command that is to be our guide.

I’m simply advocating being sensitive to nursing mothers and the babies involved.

People are people no matter how small.

All I’m wanting to do is to point back to the idea that instead of demanding women to be covered (which most women try to do anyway) we should lovingly, gently, and compassionately consider their needs (and those of the baby) too. A little kindness and compassion goes a long way.

Where I live there is a stigma of keeping a woman in her place. Half the people here believe that a woman’s highest (and only) calling is to be a wife and a mother. Almost like the idea that a woman’s place is barefoot, in the kitchen, with children running all over the place. There is a lack of sensitivity to women in general.

Breast milk is the best thing for a baby. In today's world there is still lots of misinformation (particularly I've found in Christian circles) regarding this subject. We're expecting our second child and I want to be better educated this time around. I want what is best for my wife and child.

My point in this discussion is to help others see that treating a woman without love, compassion, grace, and respect is not Christ-like. We need to be more respectful of the very stressful, hard, and important job a mother has for caring for the hunger/comfort need for her child.

I realize other countries (Australia for example has mandatory classes for breastfeeding, women who don’t breastfeed are looked down upon) or parts of the U.S. (NY for example has a law now that allows women to go topless?) have different issues. Where I live people are ultra conservative.

There needs to be a balance. I’m trying to find that balance.

So this is where I’m coming from in this discussion. (See example in next post)

God bless,
GE

Example…
Let me give you an example of the culture I live in. A young lady came to a church we participated in for the first time and needed to nurse her baby. So she stepped out of the main auditorium (which had plenty of seats) and went into the overflow room. She started nursing in the back of the room (while covered) her child when two men came in. They got uncomfortable with her nursing and the noises the baby was making. They then told her she needed to leave and go to the nursing room. They didn’t offer to give her directions just stared her down as she gathered her baby, the diaper bag, and her purse (while trying to manage the baby in her arms and not be immodest by letting the cover slip) and left. She found the nursing room (a closet really with a tube TV that the sound doesn’t work) and came into it while my wife was nursing crying. What the men did was not only insensitive, uncaring, and unloving but illegal as in Texas according to the law a woman is allowed to nurse in public or in private. They were more concerned with their comfort than the mother or the baby.

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.95
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

They ... just stared her down

That just really irks me - they were "uncomfortable" with her nursing her baby, yet they kept staring at her.

I know people think this is "unchristian" but some people just need a good wallop.

I must confess what has been angering me in this discussion is the counter argument that has the underlying claim of: "Men are scumbags who can't control their lust. And catering to 'your brother's' lust problem is your number one priority in life."

While I am sure I will be given protests that this is not what is being said, this truly is the underlying message that comes across to me in what has been posted.

• Group:  Removed from Forums for Breaking Terms of Service
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,740
  • Content Per Day:  0.44
  • Days Won:  7
  • Birthday:  07/02/1964

I must confess what has been angering me in this discussion is the counter argument that has the underlying claim of: "Men are scumbags who can't control their lust. And catering to 'your brother's' lust problem is your number one priority in life."

While I am sure I will be given protests that this is not what is being said, this truly is the underlying message that comes across to me in what has been posted.

This is actually what bothers me as well.

Women should not have to pay the price for my weakness

• Followers:  5
  • Topic Count:  955
  • Topics Per Day:  0.16
  • Content Count:  11,318
  • Content Per Day:  1.89
  • Days Won:  33

Hmm... I'm reading it differently.

I'm reading "I love my brother, therefore I will not make it easier for him to stumble". Driven by love, not a dim view on men.

I would have to agree though that I hate the image that men are just animals who can't control themselves, because it is offensive to my husband. I just don't think it is the driving attitude in this case.

Hmm... I'm reading it differently.

I'm reading "I love my brother, therefore I will not make it easier for him to stumble". Driven by love, not a dim view on men.

I would have to agree though that I hate the image that men are just animals who can't control themselves, because it is offensive to my husband. I just don't think it is the driving attitude in this case.

Yes, that is on the surface ("I love my brother") - but the ones hammering that in the hardest  have not exactly been expressing any desire to consider what is loving to the mother and to her baby.

Instead, there's been a fair amount of treating a mother who feeds her baby where she's at without a cover (which has been pointed out doesn't always work) as if she were a slut.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

Example…

Let me give you an example of the culture I live in. A young lady came to a church we participated in for the first time and needed to nurse her baby. So she stepped out of the main auditorium (which had plenty of seats) and went into the overflow room. She started nursing in the back of the room (while covered) her child when two men came in. They got uncomfortable with her nursing and the noises the baby was making. They then told her she needed to leave and go to the nursing room. They didn’t offer to give her directions just stared her down as she gathered her baby, the diaper bag, and her purse (while trying to manage the baby in her arms and not be immodest by letting the cover slip) and left. She found the nursing room (a closet really with a tube TV that the sound doesn’t work) and came into it while my wife was nursing crying. What the men did was not only insensitive, uncaring, and unloving but illegal as in Texas according to the law a woman is allowed to nurse in public or in private. They were more concerned with their comfort than the mother or the baby.

Very uncouth.  I'd say they were the ones with the 'problem'.  Just leaving it at that for now.  That is my 'reaction' as opposed to trying to decode things and make excuses  :cool: