jason1985

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  764
  • Topics Per Day:  0.18
  • Content Count:  7,626
  • Content Per Day:  1.81
  • Days Won:  44

I just posted this same story not to long ago. Powerful message in it, though like it was pointed out in my post there is no independent verification that this guy even exists-or that this happened. And you would think a church of 10,000 this would be easy to verify.

As far as what my church would do I go to a small but very giving church-they would welcome anyone in and likely feed a homeless man.

yeah why i posted it the message is powerful rather it happen or not 

In our former church of a bout 2500-3000 members we actually did have a pastor come in 2010 or 2011 who dressed up as a homeless man.

Fortunately, two guys tried to befriend him, offered him food, and offered him shelter. They even started sharring the Gospel with him. The rest of the church pretty much ignored him or treated him like the plague. It was a big eye opener.

I'll try to get the name.

God bless,

GE

The pastor's name was Richard Hedrick.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  2
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I actually just left a church becasue of something similar. It became a church of pretty people. The amount of care/help you got depended on who you were and who you knew and how long you were there. There was always money for mission trips and carnivals but never any to do a homeless/addict/prostitue outreach or get a van to bring the less fortunate in.

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Topics Per Day:  0
  • Content Count:  8
  • Content Per Day:  0.00
  • Days Won:  0

I actually just left a church becasue of something similar. It became a church of pretty people. The amount of care/help you got depended on who you were and who you knew and how long you were there. There was always money for mission trips and carnivals but never any to do a homeless/addict/prostitue outreach or get a van to bring the less fortunate in.

I know where you're coming from, Lyn - a lot of the churches around here are about the same way.  If you are not an active member of one of these churches, they will not help you with food nor clothing.  I have had many instances where I need a little food assistance, and I would call one of the churches to ask about how their food assistance program works - the first thing the person on the other end of the phone would ask is "Are you an active member of our church?".  I told them No, because I work on Sundays, and don't get to attend church.  The person on the other end told me, "unless you are an active member of our church, we can't help you."  I wasn't asking for money, just a little food.  Now, where is the act of Christian charity in that instance?  Jesus certainly would not turn a person away because that person is not an active member of that church.  I would rather do without than ask another church for a little bag of food.