• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,430
  • Content Per Day:  0.20
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  12/18/1981

I donot question that the HS is still here and his gifts are still active today. However what I do question is whether the "modern" Tongues is the scriptural tongues.

At pentacost everyone heard in there own Language. I see 2 forms of tongues biblically. The first use of the word tongues in the Bible is referring to speaking different languages, the second use of tongues is a Godly language that when spoken ALL hear in there own language.

God Bless,

Dave

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can appreciate your sentiments.

However, I know I have heard other languages that sound exactly like the "tongue" I have heard coming from the mouths of others.

Unfortuanately, I was never able to discover what that language was. But it was so aggrevating that I could not do so because I recognized it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But even then what we see at Pentacost... is they didn't hear it in a foreign language. They all heard it in there own language. So if somebody can speak in tongues today... if you spoke spanish and I spoke English you would hear them in Spanish and I would hear them in English.

This is definately not an issue to divide over, and I have the utmost respect for those who practice modern tongues. Although i donot practice it, I do accept that some feel they get edification from it.

God Bless,

Dave

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  67
  • Content Per Day:  0.01

You are biblically incorrect when you say "true speaking in tongues would have everyone hearing in their own language"-the scripture makes it plain-that there is more than one purpose or use for speaking in tongues-and in fact states="he who speaks in a tongue, DOES NOT SPEAK TO MAN, BUT TO GOD------INDEED NO ONE UNDERSTANDS" So, there goes your theory.

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  281
  • Topics Per Day:  0.04
  • Content Count:  789
  • Content Per Day:  0.11

:24: Real Men speak in Tounges like the great almighty Tim Allen Argh argh ar ar arargh. You can't understand and boy its sounds sounds stupid Unless there is interprerter. So since I don't have a translator it is is just a bunch of humor. :24:

• Topic Count:  92
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  2,244
  • Content Per Day:  0.31

he who speaks in a tongue, DOES NOT SPEAK TO MAN, BUT TO GOD------INDEED NO ONE UNDERSTANDS" ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

um... Praying is talking to God too...

• Steward

• Group:  Steward
  • Followers:  110
  • Topic Count:  10,465
  • Topics Per Day:  1.25
  • Content Count:  27,785
  • Content Per Day:  3.33
  • Days Won:  129
  • Birthday:  09/21/1971

1 Corinthians 13:1 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

I'm always curious what people think when Paul says he speaks tongues of angels?

I'd be interested in hearing some of the opinions on this. :24:

Your brother in Christ with much agape love,

George

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  476
  • Topics Per Day:  0.06
  • Content Count:  5,266
  • Content Per Day:  0.68
  • Birthday:  03/21/1954

1 Corinthians 13:1  Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

I'm always curious what people think when Paul says he speaks tongues of angels?

I'd be interested in hearing some of the opinions on this.  :)

Your brother in Christ with much agape love,

George

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way I have always understood this verse is....

"Even if I could speak all the languages of men and even the language spoken by the angels, if I don't have love, I am only making a lot of noise."

I don't see Paul saying that he actually spoke these languages.

:24:

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  267
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Birthday:  02/14/1958

Is speaking in tongues used today?  What I mean, I know that speaking in tongues was done on the day of Pentecost, but did that "pass away" then?  I have a friend who speaks in tongues, and I have seen others do it.  I have heard some say that we do not speak in tongues today, and that today it is either "man-made" or the work of the devil.  I have talked to several people about this, and they say they feel very spirtual in doing this, and believe is the work of the Lord.  Others say that it serves no purpose and edifies only themselves.  I am confused and would like to know what scripture backs up that we do not speak in tongues today (if that be).  Please explain! Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Anne

My understanding; the day of Pentecost; it was other languages and different nationality understood what they were saying, which is different from what Paul teaches on.

Speaking in tongues;prayer language; is praying thru angels which edtifies us not the church, and I think that is what Paul is talking about, George. I , too get confused and have changed thoughts. One penticostal church I attended said that when we receive the baptism of the HS we automatically speak in tongues; I do not have my bible handy for the scripture they use. I disagree. I feel we have the ablility to have all the gifts of the Holy Spirit; we are to pray to possess all of the gifts.

2 cents

Blessings

:24:

Kay

• Group:  Junior Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  75
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Birthday:  11/15/1982

Hi, i'm new here, not the newest but almost. I'm also a but a babe in christ, only 4 yrs old, but i study hard, and have for the last 4 years. I think it would scare me to hear someone talking in tongues, but then i guess thats where the Lord put me that day, so i would hear it right. The only thing close to this I have seen is a patient i had awhile back. He prayed constantly out loud for days, the doctors thought he was crazy, restrained him to the bed and gave him narcs to silence him but he wouldn't, i just smiled, the first person he talked to for real was me, when his dauter and wife came in they said they had been praying for him to accept Jesus into his life, then that happened, even they were scared, but when he was done, he said that he saw that i wasn't afraid of him and smiled when i heard him praying, then he told me to tell the doctors he was done praying, then sent him home the next day. i always thought that maybe i was the only one that could understand him, cuz no one else seemed to be able to connect what he was saying, .

crabs

• Followers:  10
  • Topic Count:  5,823
  • Topics Per Day:  0.75
  • Content Count:  45,870
  • Content Per Day:  5.94
  • Days Won:  83
  • Birthday:  11/19/1970

Hi, Crab!

Welcome to the Boards!

(One question, though - why is someone from Ohio going by the name of "crab"? :24::24: There ain't no crabs in Ohio!

Signed,

A Marylander)