Meta_Agape

• Group:  Diamond Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  1,363
  • Content Per Day:  0.35
  • Days Won:  5

What evidence would you say there is outside of the Bible. Notwithstanding all you said, many are not convinced?

Mostly because they refuse to be convinced.  There is no amount of evidence sufficient to convince a person whose heart is so hard they are unwilling to be convinced.

But to answer your question more directly, when we look at the universe God has created, it demonstrates an intelligence requrining omnscience to be able to conceive of it in all its complexity and harmony, a omnipotence required to create it and an omnipresence allowing Him to sustain and micro-manage it all right down to the last molecule. 

I would have to take leave of my senses to look at the order, predictability, uniformity that exists in the world and claim it is not evidence of its Creator. We as human beings bear His image.  Our creativity, the need to invent, make things is a quality we share with our Creator who made us to be a reflection of Him.  Our abilityt to communicate, to think in absract terms, our innate sense of right and wrong and the intuitive knowledge that we are designed to be in relationship with God are evident all over the world.  There are cultures that have never had contact with outsiders, yet they look for something or someone to worship. There is an innate sense that there is someone greater than us to whom we owe our devotion.

God has left His signature on everything He has made, if we are willing to look at it.  Most of the time, people summarily brush any evidence presented aside and then claim that no evidence exists.  The evidence is there.  The fact that a person is unconvinced isn't due to a lack of evidence, but a stubborn pre-meditated refusal to even consider any evidence that challenges their unbelief.

Every argument for God's existence has flaws. There are people who honestly look at it, and are not convinced, for that reason. It's not an open and shut case.

I wonder what percentage of scientists, are closet believers. I wonder if the answer to that question affects the ratio of believers to unbelievers, among modern and old timey scientist. Old timey ones lived in a day when it was o.k. to believe in God.

I wonder what percentage of scientists, are closet believers. I wonder if the answer to that question affects the ratio of believers to unbelievers, among modern and old timey scientist. Old timey ones lived in a day when it was o.k. to believe in God.

The surveys they did were anonymous from what I can tell, and you still have a much smaller percentage saying they believe in God at all, let alone a personal God. So, I think there is something else that has shifted, aside from the sociological change, but I agree that has to be an influence also. I suspect both a social and ideological component to this.

Guest shiloh357

What evidence would you say there is outside of the Bible. Notwithstanding all you said, many are not convinced?

Mostly because they refuse to be convinced.  There is no amount of evidence sufficient to convince a person whose heart is so hard they are unwilling to be convinced.

But to answer your question more directly, when we look at the universe God has created, it demonstrates an intelligence requrining omnscience to be able to conceive of it in all its complexity and harmony, a omnipotence required to create it and an omnipresence allowing Him to sustain and micro-manage it all right down to the last molecule. 

I would have to take leave of my senses to look at the order, predictability, uniformity that exists in the world and claim it is not evidence of its Creator. We as human beings bear His image.  Our creativity, the need to invent, make things is a quality we share with our Creator who made us to be a reflection of Him.  Our abilityt to communicate, to think in absract terms, our innate sense of right and wrong and the intuitive knowledge that we are designed to be in relationship with God are evident all over the world.  There are cultures that have never had contact with outsiders, yet they look for something or someone to worship. There is an innate sense that there is someone greater than us to whom we owe our devotion.

God has left His signature on everything He has made, if we are willing to look at it.  Most of the time, people summarily brush any evidence presented aside and then claim that no evidence exists.  The evidence is there.  The fact that a person is unconvinced isn't due to a lack of evidence, but a stubborn pre-meditated refusal to even consider any evidence that challenges their unbelief.

Every argument for God's existence has flaws. There are people who honestly look at it, and are not convinced, for that reason. It's not an open and shut case.

Nope.  The Bible makes no flawed case for God's existence and my arguments are drawn from there.  The problem is that many are not willing to be honest about where the evidence leads and that is why they fight so hard to suppress it. 

Nope.  The Bible makes no flawed case for God's existence and my arguments are drawn from there.  The problem is that many are not willing to be honest about where the evidence leads and that is why they fight so hard to suppress it. 

There are formal flaws in every actual philosophical argument made. Someone can make an honest inventory of the best arguments there are,, and still come away not believing in God.I don't think saying what you are saying is going to be helpful, as it doesn't reflect the reality for many.

Guest shiloh357

There are formal flaws in every actual philosophical argument made. Someone can make an honest inventory of the best arguments there are,, and still come away not believing in God.I don't think saying what you are saying is going to be helpful, as it doesn't reflect the reality for many.

But I am not making philosophical arguments.  Again, I am making biblical arguments and the Bible makes no flawed arguments for God's existence.  It squarely places the blame on the hardness of men's hearts and the fact that they prefer darkness over light.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

The argument for proof of God through design isn't really conclusive, Shiloh. First cause is a better argument, although not without criticism as well. As for the idea of God sustaining the Universe, it seems to me that the Designer would have created it to be self sustaining by nature. Any interaction between God and the natural world would seem to me a miracle.

Edited by gray wolf

But I am not making philosophical arguments.  Again, I am making biblical arguments and the Bible makes no flawed arguments for God's existence.  It squarely places the blame on the hardness of men's hearts and the fact that they prefer darkness over light.

Alright. I've thought about what you said and at least a couple verses that seem relevant here (such as Romans 1) and you have a point. I suppose the question is how the 'spiritual reality' gets translated into apologetics, and on that level I have to maintain that an atheist can, with full intellectual honesty, deny that such and such argument is sound or valid. But on the fundamental level, I agree with you.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,990
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,688
  • Content Per Day:  11.84
  • Days Won:  226

I know their were some scientists who are Christian.I have read some of Einstein's quotes and they came across as Christian.

• Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  28
  • Content Count:  1,046
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  09/30/1960

What did he say that seemed Christian to you? He certainly was not an atheist. He attested that he believed Jesus existed in an interview you can google. Many scientists throughout history have been Christians.

Edited by gray wolf