ShannK

• Group:  Members
  • Followers:  2
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  27
  • Content Per Day:  0.01
  • Days Won:  0

My husband has been struggling with depression. Does anyone have any advice on how I can help him?

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  732
  • Content Per Day:  0.11
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

Is it a circumstantial type of depression, or is it a deficiency/ nutritional type of depression that just seems to have no other cause? Either way, nutrition is the key in many depressions/ mental illnesses.

Vitamin D....B vitamin complex...minerals

Depending where you live and how much natural sunshine WITHOUT sunscreen you can get...vitamin D becomes depleted very quickly. I find vit D is my big one.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

You may consider talking to your family dr. about it. They can help or they can refer you to someone who can help.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  732
  • Days Won:  2
  • Birthday:  10/24/1969

Here's a good read for you on nutrition and depression. It really is usually the root cause

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2738337/

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  438
  • Days Won:  1

My husband has been struggling with depression. Does anyone have any advice on how I can help him?

I suggest lots of hugs, and extra love.  Just being there for him through the tough times is worth a ton!

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

I would advise you to pray for your husband.Have him see his physican and get a good checkup.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  11,128
  • Content Per Day:  1.99
  • Days Won:  54
  • Birthday:  12/07/1952

Having been there and done that, all I can say is that it is a complex subject and has so many factors influencing it that it would be impossible to give you a valid answer with no information to base it on.

But this I can say. If the depression is bad, and long term, you are going to have to be very strong for him, but more importantly for yourself. Being with someone with depression can drain you emotionally. You need to understand, from the outset, that this is not about you, his comments are not directed at you, or because of you. His universe, if he has major depression, is about himself. And this becomes an ever decreasing spiral. Everything around him will be seen by him in a negative light. The smallest task or problem will be seen in a negative light. Don't go there with him....

Get him help if you can, professional help. Go with him to this help if you can, and when it is appropriate.

Depression is a modern illness, and there is nothing "weak" about having it. It is often the alpha characters who suffer from it. The people who get things done, go the extra mile, overwork themselves. (this is a generalization, depression comes in all shapes and sizes).

Do you know what is causing the depression? The first step is to remove him from the source, or adapt the source.

Above all pray, and pray, and pray.

God Bless, we are here to talk if you need to.

• Group:  Graduated to Heaven
  • Followers:  6
  • Topic Count:  406
  • Topics Per Day:  0.09
  • Content Count:  5,248
  • Content Per Day:  1.13
  • Days Won:  67

Having been there and done that, all I can say is that it is a complex subject and has so many factors influencing it that it would be impossible to give you a valid answer with no information to base it on.

But this I can say. If the depression is bad, and long term, you are going to have to be very strong for him, but more importantly for yourself. Being with someone with depression can drain you emotionally. You need to understand, from the outset, that this is not about you, his comments are not directed at you, or because of you. His universe, if he has major depression, is about himself. And this becomes an ever decreasing spiral. Everything around him will be seen by him in a negative light. The smallest task or problem will be seen in a negative light. Don't go there with him....

Get him help if you can, professional help. Go with him to this help if you can, and when it is appropriate.

Depression is a modern illness, and there is nothing "weak" about having it. It is often the alpha characters who suffer from it. The people who get things done, go the extra mile, overwork themselves. (this is a generalization, depression comes in all shapes and sizes).

Do you know what is causing the depression? The first step is to remove him from the source, or adapt the source.

Above all pray, and pray, and pray.

God Bless, we are here to talk if you need to.

Thank you for posting that Fez.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.19
  • Days Won:  58

Is there a reason like the death of a parent this year? If so, the depression could be normal. However, the medical community says depression in that case greater than 6 months is an issue. 

If there is no apparent reason for depression, then he needs to see a doctor soon. Pills can help but pills with counseling or counseling alone is really the best way to help someone with depression medically.