IGNORED

What does "in the day" in Gen. 2:4 mean?

thomas t

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens

We've had a discussion about this in the other thread ("the earth gave forth...").

Since it was in day one when God created heaven and earth, my suggestion for an interpretation of "in the day" is: day 1.

Following this interpretation of "the day", Adam and Eve would have been made at day one, already, and other humans on day 6.

This would solve the problem who the "whoever" in Gen 4:14 is, btw.

Today you are driving me from the land, and I will be hidden from your presence; I will be a restless wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will kill me.”

When there are two groups of man involved in Genesis, this question would be easy to answer: Cain being the child of the day one humans and the "whoever" humans stemming from day six.

What do you think?

Thomas

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.23
  • Days Won:  115

My first thought was that this was in the wrong forum. I moved it to Doctrinal Questions. You will not get a biblical answer in the OC.

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  3,135
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  2

All human life came through Adam and Eve.  Adam was created on the 6th day.  and there was evening, and there was morning, the sixth day.  Animal life was created on the 5th day.

In Christ

Montana Marv

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  264
  • Content Per Day:  0.04

Montana is correct.

I'm sure you know this, but in case you don't...remember the original Word of God did not have chapters as we know them today.

Man came along later and divided the Bible into chapters and verses for easy reference.

That being said...Genesis 2:1-3 and the first half of vs. 4 actually belong at the end of Genesis 1. So here's how the Bible should've been divided:

Genesis 1 should've ended like this:

And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. (Gen 1:31)

Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them (Gen 2:1)

And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made. (Gen 2:2)

And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made. (Gen 2:3)

These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created.(Gen 2:4)

Gensis 2 shoud've began like this:

In the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens, (2nd part of vs 4)
And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. (vs. 5)

But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground. (vs. 6)

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. (vs. 7)

....and so on and on...

Genesis 2 is a going over certain aspects of Genesis 1 to bring about certain details that have not been given to us yet. The "Day" is not about Adam and Eve...it's about the day that God created the heavens and the earth.

Also, your theory on Genesis 4 can be solved by simply understanding that Adam and Eve had to have other children besides Cain, Abel, and Seth...so their part of the world may have had hundreds of people by the time Abel sinned.

• Group:  Senior Member
  • Followers:  8
  • Topic Count:  46
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  944
  • Content Per Day:  0.22
  • Birthday:  04/20/1980

...so their part of the world may have had hundreds of people by the time Abel sinned.

Good Morning SDA,

is this a little typing error and you've certainly had Cain in mind, I guess?

by the time Cain sinned.

...so their part of the world may have had hundreds of people by the time Abel sinned.

Good Morning SDA,

is this a little typing error and you've certainly had Cain in mind, I guess?

by the time Cain sinned.

Oops! Good catch! Yes, I meant Cain. Thanks for correction

As SDAinFLA has said Genesis 2:4 is basically an end note to Genesis 1.  It's also interesting that we see "generations" used in conjunction with the "day" God created. This indicates the  creation took place over a period of time rather than specific 24 hour days. imo.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  96
  • Topic Count:  307
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  18,136
  • Content Per Day:  4.63
  • Days Won:  327

Blessings to you Thomas!

It's funny but I never considered this particular verse to mean a day(literally)...I always perceived it to mean"at the time"....like when I say,"in my Grandmothers day"....I am not talking about 1 of her particular days but rather in her time......

With love,in Christ -Kwik

• Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,135
  • Content Per Day:  0.69
  • Days Won:  2

In my great grand parents day, it would take a person 15 days to walk across Montana, only walking during the day.

"and there was evening, and there was morning" of that particular day of creation.

In Christ

Montana Marv

As SDAinFLA has said Genesis 2:4 is basically an end note to Genesis 1.  It's also interesting that we see "generations" used in conjunction with the "day" God created. This indicates the  creation took place over a period of time rather than specific 24 hour days. imo.

Yea...I respect your understanding of this but a day in Genesis is obviously a 24 hour period.

That's how we define a days, weeks, months, and years.

If the Bible's definition of a day is an indefinite period of time in Genesis, then it is an indefinite period of time other places. This would make it difficult to determine bible prophecy when it relies on a timeline.

Take the Bible for what it says...and don't let evolution shape your principles