IGNORED

Under the Law

Guest ninhao

It seems to be a trend from some modern teachers to claim that returning to the law, as mentioned by Paul in Galatians, means a believer is attempting to become self-righteous by not sinning.  

Gal 2:16  know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

It’s my understanding the works of the law Paul is speaking about here are ceremonial things like feasts, holy days, circumcision etc.

Modern prosperity and WOF teachers suggest a Christian’s  circumspection about sin is placing them under the law.  They teach self-examination is self-righteousness.

It’s my understanding the only way to be under the law is to be an unbeliever. 

Gal 5:17-18  For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.  (18)  But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

What does being under the law mean and what is the law as mentioned by Paul in Galatians?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest shiloh357

It seems to be a trend from some modern teachers to claim that returning to the law, as mentioned by Paul in Galatians, means a believer is attempting to become self-righteous by not sinning.  

Gal 2:16  know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.

It’s my understanding the works of the law Paul is speaking about here are ceremonial things like feasts, holy days, circumcision etc.

Modern prosperity and WOF teachers suggest a Christian’s  circumspection about sin is placing them under the law.  They teach self-examination is self-righteousness.

Gal 5:17-18  For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want.  (18)  But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

What does being under the law mean and what is the law as mentioned by Paul in Galatians?

The phrase "under the law" is Paul's way of describing someone who is not saved.   "Under the law" doesn't mean, "living within the framework of the law."   It refers to a person's standing before God.  All unsaved people stand before God under the law, including those who are trying to be justified by it.   But those who have accepted Christ as Savior and Lord stand before God "under grace."

Sin only has mastery of those who are under the law according to Paul in Romans 6.   Sin has no mastery over those who stand before God in Christ and thus "under grace."

The phrase "under the law" is Paul's way of describing someone who is not saved.   "Under the law" doesn't mean, "living within the framework of the law."   It refers to a person's standing before God.  All unsaved people stand before God under the law, including those who are trying to be justified by it.   But those who have accepted Christ as Savior and Lord stand before God "under grace."

Sin only has mastery of those who are under the law according to Paul in Romans 6.   Sin has no mastery over those who stand before God in Christ and thus "under grace."

I have a couple of questions Shiloh if you have answers.

1. In Galatians the people who were turning to a different gospel were they following Jewish rituals ?

2. Was Abraham "under the law " or "under grace" ( many modern teachers say all OT Saints were under the law )

Guest shiloh357

I have a couple of questions Shiloh if you have answers.

1. In Galatians the people who were turning to a different gospel were they following Jewish rituals ?

2. Was Abraham "under the law " or "under grace" ( many modern teachers say all OT Saints were under the law )

1.  The Galatians had been decieved by the Judaizers that they had to convert to the Jewish religion, hence all of the stuff about circumcision, in order to be saved.  They were trying to live as Jews within the framework of the Jewish religion of the day.  

2.  Abraham was, by virtue of His faith, under grace.  OT saints were never "under the law."   They were saints who had put their faith in the Messiah to come.   They lived within the framework of the dispensation of law, but they did not find redemption through the law.  Salvation in the OT was by grace through faith just like it is in the NT.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,265
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

1.  The Galatians had been decieved by the Judaizers that they had to convert to the Jewish religion, hence all of the stuff about circumcision, in order to be saved.  They were trying to live as Jews within the framework of the Jewish religion of the day.  

2.  Abraham was, by virtue of His faith, under grace.  OT saints were never "under the law."   They were saints who had put their faith in the Messiah to come.   They lived within the framework of the dispensation of law, but they did not find redemption through the law.  Salvation in the OT was by grace through faith just like it is in the NT.

Shiloh, what laws were in effect during the life of Abraham....   I really should know that but I just realized that I really don't.

Guest shiloh357

Shiloh, what laws were in effect during the life of Abraham....   I really should know that but I just realized that I really don't.

Well, by the time of Abraham, he knew how to perform a proper sacrifice and that means that he knew the difference between clean and unclean animals.   That knowledge goes back all the way to Cain and Abel.  Abraham had received the sign of circumcision that was part of the law, later.  Other than that, I am not sure.

• Followers:  29
  • Topic Count:  599
  • Topics Per Day:  0.08
  • Content Count:  56,265
  • Content Per Day:  7.56
  • Days Won:  271

Well, by the time of Abraham, he knew how to perform a proper sacrifice and that means that he knew the difference between clean and unclean animals.   That knowledge goes back all the way to Cain and Abel.  Abraham had received the sign of circumcision that was part of the law, later.  Other than that, I am not sure.

The men of Sodom were wicked and sinning, but I never stopped to ask why.               Could it be that the result of eating of the knowledge of good and evil just put it into our make up and we either did or should have known better?   As I remember Cain seemed to know that he was doing wrong.

• Followers:  55
  • Topic Count:  1,664
  • Topics Per Day:  0.20
  • Content Count:  19,764
  • Content Per Day:  2.38
  • Days Won:  28

Thank you Jesus for saving us by grace!

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can.

The men of Sodom were wicked and sinning, but I never stopped to ask why.               Could it be that the result of eating of the knowledge of good and evil just put it into our make up and we either did or should have known better?   As I remember Cain seemed to know that he was doing wrong.

The battle between flesh and spirit ( God's ) maybe.