LadyKay

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  12
  • Topic Count:  385
  • Topics Per Day:  0.10
  • Content Count:  7,692
  • Content Per Day:  1.92
  • Days Won:  3

Okay, I must confess. I have bought a lottery ticket from time to time. I like to buy the $1.00 or $2.00 scratch offs just for the fun of it. If I win nothing more then $1.00 I go "weeeee I won a dollar!" But I am not really sure if it is right for me to do this. I have heard some people say who have won that God told them what numbers to pick. God has never told me what numbers to pick as I know of and yes I have asked him. :grin:  Well anyway, your thoughts?

There is nothing in the Bible that says it is wrong to gamble.  I will usually buy a couple of tickets a year on the Power Ball when the jackpot gets real high, just to take my one shot.  I don't see anything wrong with buying an occassional scratch off ticket, unless you are using money for food or bills to do it.  To me, its no different than any other form of entertainment. 

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  136
  • Content Per Day:  0.04
  • Days Won:  1

Okay, I must confess. I have bought a lottery ticket from time to time. I like to buy the $1.00 or $2.00 scratch offs just for the fun of it. If I win nothing more then $1.00 I go "weeeee I won a dollar!" But I am not really sure if it is right for me to do this. I have heard some people say who have won that God told them what numbers to pick. God has never told me what numbers to pick as I know of and yes I have asked him. :grin: Well anyway, your thoughts?

I personally wouldn't these days since it is gambling which is a waste of money and cancultivate some poor behavior unintentionally. Obviously the less you do it the less of a problem it is but not doing it at all seems to be the best course as it does not risk our mind straying from God. That said asbutero said, it can fall into the same category as entertainment if you find it entertaining.

Edited by HumbleThinker

I believe that after one has tithed, saved, paid the bills, and bought the necessities, the rest is disposable income and if you want to buy a lottery ticket - and your not on the dole - go for it. After all, "you can't win if you're not in." Just my opinion.

• Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  30
  • Topics Per Day:  0.01
  • Content Count:  3,373
  • Content Per Day:  0.76
  • Days Won:  22

hmmm...I wouldn't call out someone who does buy them...although I don't personally...which means of course you won't see my name in the news LOL!

but of course, if you do, should not be your 1st priority...

I think they should only go up to a certain point and then make more than one prize.....still wouldn't alter my purchase decisions tho

The Powerball is Wed. and Sat. I buy 2 tickets for each drawing. My mother is too old and weak to drive so I get the tickets for her. Yes I know if she wins I will get a share of the winnings, so I guess I'm technically playing the lottery. I personally don't see a problem with it. Others may view it as sinning but I don't. There's nothing in the Word that prohibits gambling.

The Hoosier Lottery here in Indiana tonight is over $500,000,000. Over half a billion dollars! They say the odds of winning in 1 in over 250 million. Almost the population of the U.S. I haven't bought a ticket, though. Thinking about it.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.87
  • Content Count:  43,798
  • Content Per Day:  6.20
  • Days Won:  58

My hubby and I will get one ticket when the lottery here gets into a large figure. Tonight's Mega drawing is estimated to be $585 million. We have our one little ticket lol. Its entertainment for us. If God wants us to win, we can win on one little ticket.

Any sin in lottery is if one is taking money needed in the household and using that to buy tickets, causing harm to the family. For gambling addicts, buying lottery tickets would be a sin too. 

I think it's wrong to play lottery for mathematical reasons. :D

The chances of winning jackpot are between 1 in 8 million and 1 in 76 million depending upon the game type.

But good luck to all who play ( you'll be requiring it )

• Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,993
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,691
  • Content Per Day:  11.76
  • Days Won:  226

The Powerball is Wed. and Sat. I buy 2 tickets for each drawing. My mother is too old and weak to drive so I get the tickets for her. Yes I know if she wins I will get a share of the winnings, so I guess I'm technically playing the lottery. I personally don't see a problem with it. Others may view it as sinning but I don't. There's nothing in the Word that prohibits gambling.

That is sweet that you do that for your mom man.......