LookingForAnswers

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27
  • Days Won:  2

Is the use of profanity sinful?   I am not speaking of the taking of the Lord's name in vain, but of the words that society has deemed as profane.   I am having a discussion about this with a friend and would like to get some input from others.  Thank you in advance.

Judge for yourself.

Here's what the bible says regarding foul language.

Colossians 3

4 When Christ who is our life appears, then you also will appear with Him in glory.

5 Therefore put to death your members which are on the earth: fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.

6 Because of these things the wrath of God is coming upon the sons of disobedience,

7 in which you yourselves once walked when you lived in them.

8 But now you yourselves are to put off all these: anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth.

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  22
  • Topic Count:  1,294
  • Topics Per Day:  0.21
  • Content Count:  31,762
  • Content Per Day:  5.22
  • Days Won:  115

Colossians 4:6

Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.

Romans 12:1-2

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Ephesians 5

1 Therefore be imitators of God as dear children.

2 And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.

3 But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints;

4 neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.

For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.

Ephesians 4

29 Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers.

WOW, you guys(and gals if it fits) are quick. :laughing:

Would you agree that what fits those descriptions is dependent upon the culture?  What I am saying is that words we find profane were not once and there are many words that were once profane that are no longer seen that way.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  4
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  297
  • Content Per Day:  0.07
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  10/03/1974

We all say things that we wished that we could take back. Especially those four letter words. As you just need to repent and say sorry to God. And to the person you offend. If you do offend them. Rather than saying it to yourself. You just apologize to the Lord. 

There are things that I wished that I could take back, More ways often than one. As we all do. Maybe saying darn it or good grief would be the better solution. 

Jean,

What is it that makes one word worse than another? 

Guest shiloh357

Would you agree that what fits those descriptions is dependent upon the culture?  What I am saying is that words we find profane were not once and there are many words that were once profane that are no longer seen that way.

Doesn't matter.  If I were in a different culture and a certain word we use in the US was a profane word in that culture, I would honor Christ by not using that word.   There are several words that are profane and profane for a reason.  Profanity is not an arbitrarily assigned value.   I would honor Christ by not using such words. 

Doesn't matter.  If I were in a different culture and a certain word we use in the US was a profane word in that culture, I would honor Christ by not using that word.   There are several words that are profane and profane for a reason.  Profanity is not an arbitrarily assigned value.   I would honor Christ by not using such words. 

I see what you are saying, would it not stand to reason that if different places have different profane words then profanity is an arbitrarily assigned value of the culture.