IGNORED

Raising Minimum Wages

Dawn1974

Guest Butero

There needs to be stiff penalties for employers that utilize undocumented workers. 

I think so too man.You hear about it all the time.

I believe we can all agree with that. 

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  1
  • Topic Count:  811
  • Topics Per Day:  0.12
  • Content Count:  7,338
  • Content Per Day:  1.08
  • Days Won:  2

7.25 in VA.  As a small business owner, I can attest to the facts that (1) it is a job killer, because we just scale back when it's raised; (2) it kills business, because we pass on the increase to our customers, (3) nobody that works for us "lives" on 7.25 an hour.  We have students, seniors supplementing their pensions, second-job employees, and temporary employees passing through working for us.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  414
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/31/1974

To add on to the drama, I just found out that 2,500 employees will be laid off from Macy's Department store. Stores located in Arizona, Kansas, New York, Utah, and Missouri will be closing. There was a grocery store in Chicago named Dominicks that just recently went out of business. Over 2,000 employees lost their jobs.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

What was the reason for the layoff?

While it reported solid holiday sales on Wednesday, Macy’s also announced several cost-cutting measures, including plans to lay off 2,500 employees.

“Our company has significantly increased sales and profitability over the past four years,” Terry J. Lundgren, Macy’s chief executive, said in a statement. “We have identified some specific areas where we can improve our efficiency without compromising our effectiveness in serving the evolving needs of our customers.”

• Group:  Royal Member
  • Followers:  34
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Topics Per Day:  0.48
  • Content Count:  48,689
  • Content Per Day:  11.81
  • Days Won:  226

All these people being layed off and then the unemployment being cut.....not a good thing.

• Group:  Seeker
  • Followers:  0
  • Topic Count:  10
  • Topics Per Day:  0.00
  • Content Count:  1,033
  • Content Per Day:  0.27

All these people being layed off and then the unemployment being cut.....not a good thing.

It was long term unemployment that was cut, those out of work over 26 weeks, which is when the states cut one off.  These people will be ok for a while and there is little doubt the long term will be reinstated soon, too much of a political hot potato for the folks in congress to let it go for very long.

• Group:  Worthy Ministers
  • Followers:  44
  • Topic Count:  6,178
  • Topics Per Day:  0.88
  • Content Count:  43,795
  • Content Per Day:  6.21
  • Days Won:  58

There needs to be stiff penalties for employers that utilize undocumented workers. 

I think so too man.You hear about it all the time.

That will never happen. Arizona had such a law and the feds sued us to strike it down. It was called the Employer Sanction Law.

• Group:  Advanced Member
  • Followers:  3
  • Topic Count:  108
  • Topics Per Day:  0.03
  • Content Count:  414
  • Content Per Day:  0.10
  • Days Won:  0
  • Birthday:  07/31/1974

As I continue my job search I am at a crossroads. Sometimes I am concern about the wages. Other times I am concern about weather the job will offer full-time and benefits. I have medical challenges and I can really use the benefits as well. Then there are days where I think about both. Sometimes it becomes hard to figure out which is more important.

Guest shiloh357

As I continue my job search I am at a crossroads. Sometimes I am concern about the wages. Other times I am concern about weather the job will offer full-time and benefits. I have medical challenges and I can really use the benefits as well. Then there are days where I think about both. Sometimes it becomes hard to figure out which is more important.

Why should it be either/or?  It should be both/and.   You need full benefits and you need a good wage.   But if you HAVE to make a choice, go for the benefits as that will help you more in the long run.   Medical stuff is exepensive and its nice to have a some benefits to cover the cost.

What's the cost of living like in Chicago?.